Skrtel & Hyypia
2%
Agger & Hyypia
No votes

Total votes : 65

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Tue May 06, 2008 8:48 pm

Big Niall wrote:
god_bless_john_houlding wrote:
Big Niall wrote:My question about Carra is that he is just so uncomfortable on the ball, if you put him under pressure he'll just kick the ball away. I think Manure/Chelsea/Arsenal centre backs all feel more comfortable on the ball and keeping posession.

Carra is probably the top bloke in the team (fully committed and dead sound) but it his "with ball" abilities that I am doubtful.

I admit he has never been Bobby Moore but if we are to push to win the league then this is what we need.

you need a bit of both though mate. carra is first on the team sheet because he is the only no nonesense defender we have, two players being so similar doesn't really work. It's like having two Fernando Torres' up front, for me it wouldn't work because they'll be making the same decisions and getting in each other's way. It's all about balance.

Carra was moved into the heart of the defence once Stephan Henchoz (no nonesense defender) was no longer a regular. So I think it really is who partners Carra because we are blessed with a few ball players but only one no nonesense defender.

Which one of Hanson & Lawrenson was the "no nonesense one"?

Lawrenson. I never saw the lad mistime one tackle. He may not of been Carra, but he was hardly Danny Agger on the ball either.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Thingy » Wed May 07, 2008 1:02 am

neil wrote:
bigmick wrote:Pairings is one way of looking at it, and you could also look at it from an individual point of view. Carragher is the best defender in the squad, by a mile. Apart from his defensive ability, even if he were sh!t he would be worth his place in the team purely for what he brings in terms of presence. In my view there is possibly an argument about who should partner him (although if fit I think Agger is a distance ahead of Skyrtel as well) but Carragher is as far ahead of our other defenders as Torres is of Crouch (I didn't include Kuyt and Voronin because that distorts the whole point a bit).

wrong, he is not not the best defender in the squad nevermind by a mile, how many set piece goals have we conceded due to a direct 'hoof' into the stands by a hardly under pressure carragher, at least 5. Last minute penalty at west ham ended the title race in dec(when alonso had the ball btw).  Tried his best to scupper the goodison derby win. Didnt he hoof a ball needlessly into the crowd prior to the set piece man u winner at anfield?  Like I said emperors new clothes.

One match dosent cose us the title mate.
Thingy

Postby Rush Job » Wed May 07, 2008 2:45 am

HacksawJimDuggin wrote:I think we can accomodate Carra, Skrtel (marking) and Agger (sweeping) in a 3-5-2 formation next season.

Reina

Carra
Agger
Skrtel

New RM
Barry
Mascha/Alonso
Gerrard
New LM

Torres
Babel

:)

Barry used to play wingback for villa and Insua is made for a wingback role we just need someone the like on the right.
Ive been thinking about 3-5-2 myself, if we get a forward to partner Torres and a player like Alves for the right it would be a very strong side.

Reina

Carra          Agger         Skrtel

Alves         Masch           Alonso       Barry

Gerrard

Torres            ???? ????   

Even with the question marks its a feckin strong side.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thingy » Wed May 07, 2008 2:50 am

Voronin? :D
Thingy

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Wed May 07, 2008 7:28 am

Rush Job wrote:
HacksawJimDuggin wrote:I think we can accomodate Carra, Skrtel (marking) and Agger (sweeping) in a 3-5-2 formation next season.

Reina

Carra
Agger
Skrtel

New RM
Barry
Mascha/Alonso
Gerrard
New LM

Torres
Babel

:)

Barry used to play wingback for villa and Insua is made for a wingback role we just need someone the like on the right.
Ive been thinking about 3-5-2 myself, if we get a forward to partner Torres and a player like Alves for the right it would be a very strong side.

Reina

Carra          Agger         Skrtel

Alves         Masch           Alonso       Barry

Gerrard

Torres            ???? ????   

Even with the question marks its a feckin strong side.

Babel would be great there.  In fact, I think we'll see that formation a few times next yr.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby Owzat » Wed May 07, 2008 7:41 am

Rush Job wrote:Barry used to play wingback for villa

I used to be 3 ft tall, things change. I'm not sure 3-5-2 is ever likely to happen or work if we played it, I certainly wouldn't pay £10m+ for a player based on playing that formation with him. And he's not exactly pacey, as we saw in the QFs we were exposed by raw pace and if we can get someone with raw pace AND skill then that has to be better than a solid journeyman footballer who can play here, there and everywhere, but in his preferred/usual position we already have plenty of options.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Wed May 07, 2008 9:03 am

Thingy wrote:
neil wrote:
bigmick wrote:Pairings is one way of looking at it, and you could also look at it from an individual point of view. Carragher is the best defender in the squad, by a mile. Apart from his defensive ability, even if he were sh!t he would be worth his place in the team purely for what he brings in terms of presence. In my view there is possibly an argument about who should partner him (although if fit I think Agger is a distance ahead of Skyrtel as well) but Carragher is as far ahead of our other defenders as Torres is of Crouch (I didn't include Kuyt and Voronin because that distorts the whole point a bit).

wrong, he is not not the best defender in the squad nevermind by a mile, how many set piece goals have we conceded due to a direct 'hoof' into the stands by a hardly under pressure carragher, at least 5. Last minute penalty at west ham ended the title race in dec(when alonso had the ball btw).  Tried his best to scupper the goodison derby win. Didnt he hoof a ball needlessly into the crowd prior to the set piece man u winner at anfield?  Like I said emperors new clothes.

people often refer to 'defining moments' and 'turning points' these were 2 from the same 'fantastic defender', carras' been a wonderful servant for us but if you want to win the league then look at what went wrong and rectify it or accept 4th place every season.
Last edited by neil on Wed May 07, 2008 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Wed May 07, 2008 9:32 am

neil wrote:
Thingy wrote:
neil wrote:

people often refer to 'defining moments' and 'turning points' these were 2 from the same 'fantastic defender', carras' been a wonderful servant for us but if you want to win the league then look at what went wrong and rectify it or accept 4th place every season.

So basically these 2 defining moments cost us the League right?
And in your opinion both were Carraghers fault,so what you are saying is that Carragher more or less cost us the title because he's shi.te?
A load of Bull mate! :nod
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neil » Wed May 07, 2008 10:08 am

Number 9 wrote:
neil wrote:
Thingy wrote:
neil wrote:

So basically these 2 defining moments cost us the League right?
And in your opinion both were Carraghers fault,so what you are saying is that Carragher more or less cost us the title because he's shi.te?
A load of Bull mate! :nod

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Wed May 07, 2008 3:52 pm

neil wrote:
Thingy wrote:
neil wrote:

mate there's 11 players in a side. no goal is just one players fault, they come from a series of mistakes.

the penalty against west ham for example, that came about because of a poor corner, a ball down the wing that we failed to cut out and Carra forced into a tackle he didn't win. It's not solely down to Carra. We win, lose and draw as a team, so if we finish fourth that's because the team deserves to finish fourth not because Carragher has made one or two mistakes in a 38 game season.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby neil » Wed May 07, 2008 4:08 pm

He wasnt forced into a tackle, Alonso was already on the ball behind him. There are many other areas of the team that need rectifying as we well know, however this is a "centre backs for next season thread" so I kinda channelled my thoughts to that aim.
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion