Martin o'neil - Maybe?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Owzat » Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:03 pm

I ain't worried about not being in any draw, we want the league and ***** to the CL. We could have been in it every season for the last three but we'd have come no closer to winning it that manure or Arsenal. Let's face it, we've lost no ground in terms of European wins.

SPL is a joke. The big two fill the grounds because there isn't anything else worth watching. If O'Neill is happy being involved in 2nd rate football week in, week out then perhaps he isn't the man for us. Let's face it Celtic are only tested 4 times a year in the SPL, it would be much tougher in England. His highest finish in England is 8th albeit with Leicester but Wimbledon and other teams managed better finishes with as little resources

Maybe the man's reputation is bigger than his actual success...........
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:07 pm

redandblue wrote:erguson did sign a contract extension, but as we know, contracts are not worth the paper they are written on. Ferguson's contract was to keep the shreholders happy.

Clearly, the SPL is full of poor teams. But O'Neill has 60,000 punters turning up for every home game as well as big European nights. He is in charge of one of Europe's biggest clubs. I just don't think that the LFC job is attractive at the moment for him, and he may already have been given the nod on the United job. Roy Keane grew up supporting Celtic and still supports them. A switch to Parkhead would make a lot of sense, although I think that he would be a total liability as a manager.

We have fallen a long way. The draw for the last 16 is being made today. And we are not in it.

1. Ferguson's contract isn't signed yet and there's a row brewing about it.

2. Celtic get 60,000 fans a week but if we get our new stadium in five years we'll probably get the same.

3. Liverpool are also one of Europe's biggest clubs! We won the European cup 4 times for Christs sake! We still take in more from merchandising than Celtic.

4. Keane's boyhood team was actually Spurs (?!? read his biography) but like 80% of Irish people, his second team is Celtic.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby redandblue » Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:19 pm

All I am saying is that it is far from clear that he would join us, even if our dithering Board got round to offering it to him. He has a huge emotional attachment to Celtic.......his father was a staunch Celtic fan.

I do not think that Ferguson will be at United for another three years and the impending court case with Magnier will not help his cause.

The rumour that O'Neill was being set up to manage United by Magnier/McManus as a trade for Keane to Celtic came from a very good source. Ferguson, apparently thinks that O'Neill is not up to the job and won't support it. And the United Board may not back O'Neill.

I did not know that O'Neill supported Liverpool as a youngster. I though that he was a Celtic fan.
redandblue
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby little kev » Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:55 pm

[quote]
I don't think UTD would gamble on Roy Keane as a manager. He has many obvious talents for management: passionate, ruthlessness and determination to win, but he has no diplomacy whatsoever, and every player that disagreed with him would be out the door.

Sounds like Alex Ferguson!
little kev

Postby redandblue » Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:01 pm

The United Board could not possibly take a risk with Keane. He is a psychopath. Wouldn't do much for their share price. He will end up managing Celtic, sooner or later.
redandblue
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby greenred » Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:13 pm

redandblue wrote:The United Board could not possibly take a risk with Keane. He is a psychopath. Wouldn't do much for their share price. He will end up managing Celtic, sooner or later.

so why would celtic want a psycho?
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:11 pm

redandblue wrote:The United Board could not possibly take a risk with Keane. He is a psychopath. Wouldn't do much for their share price. He will end up managing Celtic, sooner or later.

I don't think Keane is a physcopath. He's actually a very intelligent guy underneath it all, very calculating, as a lot of the Republic of Ireland players said after his row at the World Cup with Mick McCarthy.

Keane's problem is that he is too self righteous, self obsessed with his own world view and I don't think he can understand or tolerate failings or weaknesses in others.

I mean, how would Keane deal with a player who had personal problems off the field?
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:41 pm

Some very interseting points have been mentioned here.

- First of all, who really thinks that Celtic are a bigger club than Liverpool? Ask anyone around Europe who is a bigger club and Liverpool will be the answer, ask outside of Europe and many people will not know who Celtic are.

- Secondly, who thinks Celtic are better than us, just because they beat us last season dosen't make them better than us, by the same logic Crystal Palace are better than us.

- Martin O'Neil will take the job at Liverpool if it is offered to him at the right time, but I think he would also take the Newcastle job if Sir Bobby retired and they offered him the job, so they may swoop before we do.

- O'Neil would also be interested in the Man Utd job but I can't see Ferguson leaving anytime soon, the jobs at Liverpool and Newcastle will come around a long time before the Utd job, and O'Neil won't wait around that long.

- Roy Keane will not be the next manager of Man Utd, maybe in 15 years time he will be considered if he has success elsewere.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:19 pm

I think O' Neill going to Liverpool or Newcastle is his most likely next destination. There's an outside chance of him being the next Spurs manager (very unlikely though) and you can't rule out him going to Leeds if a miracle happens and they get an Arab sugar daddy in.

Of Liverpool or Newcastle, I think that Shearer will be made player manager of the Toon either next summer or (likely) the summer after that.

Remember how Blackburn asked Shearer, at the age of 24  :D  :D to be their player manager just before he decided to join Newcastle :D  :D that's how highly rated managerial quality he it....
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:59 pm

We got a good price for Fowler( 12Mil).

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby big al » Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:43 pm

I as usual agree with most of the points JBG has made here. 

There is one thing however that I'm not sure about.  Can Someone anyone tell me what Martin Oneill's Credentials are for the job?  What makes him special?  Don't get me wrong I love his enthusiasm and commitment and I loved him in a Northern Irish shirt.  He was an excellent team player at Forrest. 

But someone explain to me what is so special about him now.  Forget the Man U connection for a moment and tell me what makes him a better prospect than Strachan.  Before anyone talks about Leicester and keeping them in the Premiership.  Strachan did that at Coventry without the sponsorship of Walkers crisps.  So come on why is he the man for the job.

Why is he our saviour?
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby Clifty » Fri Dec 12, 2003 6:52 pm

O'Neill is the man to lead us. To think Liverpool are settling for just Champions League is a disgrace! Shanks and Sir Bob must be turning in their graves! We want the title and O'Neill is the manager with drive, ambition and passion. He will stop this 'finishing fourth is fine' mentality breeding at Anfield.  Houllier has done a great job but enough is enough. Liverpool board listen to the fans! Get onto Parkhead before Scum nip in before us..again!
Clifty

Postby big al » Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:03 pm

Clifty why do you want O'Neill please explain to me mate.
"Football Is the greatest democracy of all, That's providing your not Italian and pay the referee" Big al 2006
big al
LFC Elite Member

Postby Clifty » Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:09 pm

He has the one thing we have missed for a long time... PASSION! He has wondeful man management skills and will put some pride back into wearing the red shirt! Look what he did at Leicester, with some money he could even better! We will always love Houllier, but no one person is bigger than the club. We have always known when to make a change. Now is the time. Before it's too late!
Clifty

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion