Which players should we buy in summer? - And in what departments!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 84-1083280474 » Sun May 30, 2004 11:27 pm

Hello,
Which players do you think we should go for this summer, in order for us to make a serious challenge for the title and champs league .....whether these players are available or not, (as contracts can be bought out), and which areas do you think we need to strengthen in most??

I'll go first..............

Keeper.... Keep dudek/ Kirkland- Safe as Houses!

Defence....Need at least 1, as Hypia is very slow although good at tackling, I think we have seen the best of him.

Midfield..... Id buy Jermaine Pennant from leeds, Murphy has got to go ,so we need a right sided midfielder. maybe Hamaan too as he often plays negatively and passes it back a lot.
We definately need help for stevie G, we need a playmaker like Paul Scholes/ Pires.
Id also put in a bid for Rivaldo, although bolton seem to have done the deal already.But you'd get 2/3 years out of him.
How about Robbie Savage??......(JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Forwards:ID go for Morientes or Guilly form monaco. Morientes as we know, real dont want him and chelsea will probably have a stab at him, but a good partner for Owen.
Maybe Robbie Keane from spurs.

Whats your views?
84-1083280474

Postby ivor_the_injun » Mon May 31, 2004 12:41 am

Been done to death this, but seeing as though names that have been bandied about are now being linked elsewhere, it's only natural that it should come up again.

GK - No problems here, assuming that Kirkland quickly ditches the sicknote reputation and that PSV's move for Dudek doesn't result in more clubs coming in for him.

Defence - Can't see anyone being signed to oust Riise and Finnan as first choice LB and RB, but more cover is needed assuming that Ostemobor will be shipped out on loan again and that Traore does go to West Brom. Having a utility defender like Carragher will probably mean we can rely on some workmanlike foreigner to be brought in on a free to take up a squad place. Babbel would fit the bill fine as a stop-gap in case of injuries, but will almost certainly be leaving anyway.

At least one signing to be made in the centre of defence. Both Hyypia and Henchoz had poor seasons, and need competition to either raise their game or replace them completely. I like the look of Mexes, but wouldn't mind Dawson being brought in if the money's not too scandalous. Bringing in both would be ideal. If this doesn't happen, and as I expect Riise and Finnan to get a run as LB and RB, I'd like to see Jamie get an extended run in the centre to see if he really can be a long-term solution there.

Midfield - Left: Kewell is still the answer in spite of a poor season. Although I'm not a fan, Smicer's probably going to keep his job at the club, and is reasonable cover.

Centre: Whoever the manager is almost certainly won't be looking for a player in the vein of Hamman for their first choice 11, so a creative outlet such as Joe Cole or Okocha would be ideal to allow Gerrard to wade back when needed and then burst on when we're in possession. Would love to see Aimar, but can't see it happening somehow. Wouldn't mind seeing TLT get an extended run if he manages to bulk himself up over the summer. Hargreaves isn't the solution for me, which probably means he'll be who the club opt for.

Right: Possibly an even bigger priority for a new face than central defence or midfield, although I've yet to hear a single right-sided midfielder in a Kewell vein solidly linked with the club. Wright-Phillips would be a good signing, but the money needed to prise him away would be in Diouf territory, and probably wouldn't be viable. Malbranque possibly a better bet.

If big money ends up being spent elsewhere (which from reports appears to be the case), I wouldn't be averse to the club bringing in Trevor Sinclair or Jason Koumas as decent low budget options. Both are hard working players that can beat a man and offer good delivery, and although not exactly world class are definitely good for at least half a dozen goals a season in a quality side. Certainly more reliable options than Diouf, whose time being played out of position must surely now be over.

Strikers: Cisse, Owen, Baros, Pongolle and (technically) Diouf seems adequate, although I don't expect all five to still be at the club come day 1 of the new season. Assuming Michael stays, and until we see what Cisse can do for us, there's no need to dabble here.

So that's it really - I think four new signings are needed:
1 x CB
1 x versatile defender as cover for LB or RB
1 x CM
1 x RM

To go:

Biscan
Diao
Traore
Smicer
ivor_the_injun

Postby gazimundo » Mon May 31, 2004 8:05 pm

if we get Benitez as manager he could bring with him Baraja and Ayala. Seeing Cisse is due to arrive in june, why not try to sign Philippe Mexes too. Monaco's trio of Jerome Rothen, Ludovic Giuly and Patrice Evra would also be good aquisitions but would possibly be too costly due Monaco's  euro run..  what is definately need is players that fit in to the folllowing catergories.

consistancy, passion and brave[U], proven class, creativity:)
gazimundo

Postby banana » Mon May 31, 2004 9:33 pm

For your information. Guily has already signed for Barcelona. And please guys, Trevor Sinclair? He is a pi.ss poor excuse for a footballer.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby Stan Laurel » Mon May 31, 2004 9:38 pm

For god's sake!! We can't buy any new players yet, we don't know who is going to be new manager at Anfield, so we have to wait next week to find out about new manager and what's their plan and we have go find out what's new manager going to buy, so you cannot tell the manager that what you want to buy new players so it is up to the manager.

Just be patient until next week.

YNWA!!!
Last edited by Stan Laurel on Mon May 31, 2004 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stan Laurel
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Mon May 31, 2004 9:38 pm

As i've said time and time again.

How the hell can we speculate on new players and who we should sign and what we need when we have no manager... no system... no direction.

We need a style of play first otherwise we are wasting our time.

Henchoz and Hyypia are more than good enough with a deep defensive line, which we may revert back to. Hamann is a superb holding midfielder which we may no longer need. No-one knows as of yet.

we may switch two a 3-5-2 with O'Neil so that would mean we wouldn't need wingers and Kewell would be made redundant.

As i've said, its a pointless question until we have a new manager and a new system.
115-1073096938

Postby begintoend » Tue Jun 01, 2004 8:58 am

Lets say we get either Beni or MON....

Keepers are fine already
Def : John Terry or Ayala.( Fantasy: Nesta)
Midfield : Aimar, Riquelme, or E'too (Fantasy : Ronaldinho)
Striker : Fine already with Cisse comming in. (Fantasy : F.Torres or Shevchenko)
begintoend
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:18 am

The problem is that by the time Parry & moores get round to putting a new manager in place, Chelski would have bought all of the decent players for their 200 man squad   :p
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby emmanuel » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:11 am

Defence: metzelder, Yepes, evra

Middfield: Rothen, izmailov (lokomotiv moskow)

Forwards: nobody
emmanuel

Postby Stan Laurel » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:32 pm

Who is Yepes? Where's he from?

Not big fan of Riquleme, he didn't play well for Barcelona for long time, don't rate him that good.
Stan Laurel
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:37 pm

yepes is columbian i think. last time i checked he was playing for river plate.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Stan Laurel » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:40 pm

Cheers mate, is he any good, mate?
Stan Laurel
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:41 pm

Morientes would be great alongside Owen but I can't see it happening with Cisse coming in.  We need a top class left back.  Riise isn't good enough.

Sean
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:46 pm

Sean wrote:Morientes would be great alongside Owen but I can't see it happening with Cisse coming in.  We need a top class left back.  Riise isn't good enough.

Sean

riise had a difficult season because he was in and out the side on a regular basis. however it is fair to say that he has struggled to find his form of the 2001-2002 season when he scored 8 goals.

in terms of buying a new left back, i'd have a serious look at evra of monaco. he looked top class.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Stan Laurel » Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:46 pm

I don't agree that we need top class left back, that's bit harsh about Riise, so i know he had a poor season last season, but I am sure he will be improve himself next season. Give him a another chance.
Stan Laurel
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion