Summer clearout - What players would you get rid of

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:13 pm

I'd sell Alonso. I've read ridiculous praises to Alonso in the first years, and as it's common thing here now the criticism is getting ridiculous, you never find a mid point in newkit. So, since we need money to buy quality somewhere else, since he has lost the confidence of most fans, and since if he continues this way he's going to become the next Zenden and/or Kuyt in terms of scape goat, the best thing is to sell him .

After all, the ones who have the money, the Spanish clubs (we do not want to sell him to an archenemy) rate Alonso a lot more than the holding midfielders of Manchester UNited or Chelsea. So a sell for a good price would be good for everybody at this point. Good for Xabi, Good for the Club (money), and Good for me, as I'll be able to support this club without the old "you're a Xabi fan more than a Liverpool fan" tag on me. I'm started to be tempted to see Rafa out aswell, and see how we win titles without rotation.

A happy clappy always looks the bright side :D Unfortunately though that's the selfish Sabre speaking. While tempting, the reasonable Sabre still tells me that the departure of Rafa and ALonso would be bad for Liverpool when it comes to football. But if most fans think that way, then so be it.

I think we need a RB, a true and quality LW like SIlva, and ANOTHER top striker. So I wouldn't hesitate much of getting rid of Kuyt, Voronin, and Finnan (in this case with pain in the heart). I would also sell Sissoko, but hopefully that will happen for real at the end of the season. ALso, if we are going to gamble with keepers in the FA cup we need an experienced keeper like Palop, not a guy making the first steps in a big club.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:14 pm

Big Niall wrote:
Ciggy wrote:
mramo wrote:Gonzalez left a year ago mate. Where have you been for the past year?

:laugh:

muppet moment :blush:

a few of them just lately niall  :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MR C » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:18 pm

i think we should get rid of rigobert song and titi camara
MR C

Postby JoeTerp » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:21 pm

I think Riise has to go, depending on what kind of wages I could get him on and if he realized he wouldn't play much I would keep Kewell as cover for whoever I brought in, just so Babel wouldn't have to play LM ever.  Sell Kuyt, Voronin, Hyypia, Carson, Leto, El Zhar, Le Tallec, Roque, Brouwer, Flynn, Putterill, Yossi (only because I would look to bring in a WORLD CLASS creative player with tons more flair and ablity to make goals for others, if I saw that I couldn't do this then Yossi is worth holding on to)

Remaining Team:
GK: Reina, Itandje (only for 1 season), Martin (loan out for 08/09, then bring in to back up Reina), Bouzanis/Gulacsi/Hansen (only have a NEED for one, but would probably only sell one, with Bouzanis being safe (Gulacsi might only be on loan anyway))

RB: Arbeloa, Finnan, Darby

CB: Carra, Agger, Skrtel, Hobbs, (San Jose, Antwi, Huth, Ayala, Kennedy, Kelley) might sell one of the 4 and loan another

LB: Arbeloa, Aurelio, Insua, Threllfall

RM: Gerrard, Pennant, Anderson, Hammill

CM: Gerrard, Mascherano, Alonso (would let go for right price), Lucas, Pessis, Guthrie, Spearing

LM: (New Player) Kewell, Hammill

SS: (possible new player), Yossi,  Kewell

ST: Torres, (new player), Babel, Crouch, Nemeth,

Would also look to add a fullback, in which case either Finnan or Aurelio would leave.  Also if Insua steps up his game, then we wouldn't need to buy a new LB and could play Arbeloa at RB

I am guessing that the max money raised plus the kitty would be around 50 to 60 million

20-25 on another WC striker that would be an ideal partner with Torres
15-20 on a Left Winger
10 million on a young Babel level quality Attacking Midfielder
5 million on a steady Prem experienced left back ( would allow me to sell aurelio)
JoeTerp

Postby Judge » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:23 pm

JoeTerp wrote:I think Riise has to go, depending on what kind of wages I could get him on and if he realized he wouldn't play much I would keep Kewell as cover for whoever I brought in, just so Babel wouldn't have to play LM ever.  Sell Kuyt, Voronin, Hyypia, Carson, Leto, El Zhar, Le Tallec, Roque, Brouwer, Flynn, Putterill, Yossi (only because I would look to bring in a WORLD CLASS creative player with tons more flair and ablity to make goals for others, if I saw that I couldn't do this then Yossi is worth holding on to)

Remaining Team:
GK: Reina, Itandje (only for 1 season), Martin (loan out for 08/09, then bring in to back up Reina), Bouzanis/Gulacsi/Hansen (only have a NEED for one, but would probably only sell one, with Bouzanis being safe (Gulacsi might only be on loan anyway))

RB: Arbeloa, Finnan, Darby

CB: Carra, Agger, Skrtel, Hobbs, (San Jose, Antwi, Huth, Ayala, Kennedy, Kelley) might sell one of the 4 and loan another

LB: Arbeloa, Aurelio, Insua, Threllfall

RM: Gerrard, Pennant, Anderson, Hammill

CM: Gerrard, Mascherano, Alonso (would let go for right price), Lucas, Pessis, Guthrie, Spearing

LM: (New Player) Kewell, Hammill

SS: (possible new player), Yossi,  Kewell

ST: Torres, (new player), Babel, Crouch, Nemeth,

Would also look to add a fullback, in which case either Finnan or Aurelio would leave.  Also if Insua steps up his game, then we wouldn't need to buy a new LB and could play Arbeloa at RB

youve obviously given your post a lot of thought, but remember its the goalkeeper who lets the goals in

i blame him

:angry:

:D
Last edited by Judge on Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:53 pm

It is no good whatsoever talking about clear outs and money rasied at the moment. Looking at the names above I think it is fair to say that we have a big squad, and yes there are a lot of names that do need to be moved on. However a "clearout" of this magnitude would have to be done over several seasons for the squadc as a whole to at least maintain its current standard.

If we were to get rid of 5 - 10 squad or even first team players in one go it would cause a lot of disruption, especially if first team regulars such as Alsonso (who I think shoul be kept) or Kuyt are sold on. I suppose we would make upwards of 20 million alone for these two but that amount of cash would not buy a single player of the magnitude we NEED to improve and deliver the title.

A note of caution is needed if there is to be a rebuild. However I am of the opinion that the squad we do have is still good enough to deliver the title given the right conditions. Remember Fergie was a couple of games away from losing his job before it was saved by Whitesides goal in the cup final; I am not saying that Rafa deserves patience becasue his tactics have already proven inept in the English game but at the same time we have to make a decision based on thought. Is it now the time to get rid and take a further three steps backwards while the new man builds another team, or do we stick for the time being and see if things improve?. I am undecided.

I know that if we beat Inter over two legs the pressure on this board will ease somewhat.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:16 pm

JoeTerp wrote:you forgot Dalglish as part of the core team

Wrong.   He got injured last week.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:19 pm

Id get rid of Gerrard , Reina, Carragher and Torres. they're all garbage :(

What a pointless thread
burjennio

Postby Bammo » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:23 pm

Reg wrote:
JoeTerp wrote:you forgot Dalglish as part of the core team

Wrong.   He got injured last week.

I blame Matt McQueen's training methods. It's like his ideas are in the last century
Twitter[url=http://twitter.com/IanBamford[/URL]Lego Pirates:
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o0]http[/url]

Scallies: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWxvm_HNQU
Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby Aaron » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:05 am

Outs

Itandje - Useless
Finnan - Past it
Hyypia - Past it
Riise - Time here is up
Aurelio - Not good enough
Pennant - Not good enough
Kewell - Not good enough
Voronin - Useless
Kuyt - Not good enough

That leaves:

Reina
Skrtel
Carra
Arbeloa
Agger
Benayoun
SG
Mascherano
Alonso
Lucas
Crouch
Torres
Babel

I'd bring in a quality back up GK, another CB, another RB, 2 LB's, another RW, another LW and 2 Strikers. Thats 9 players I feel we need before we can seriously think about challenging for the league.

I think if Rafa was given a bucket of cash to spend he is capable of building a squad that can win the league. I will even go as far as saying that his rotation policy will work, only with a good all round squad. We simply dont have that.

Look at the top 3, they have quality back up GK's. We dont. They have quality back up CB's, we dont. They have quality back up wingers, we dont. Most importantly they have at least 2 world class strikers, we dont.

Thats the difference between us challenging and not.
City 'till I Die
Aaron

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:12 am

Dont need these players and we should be able to get some decent money in for them:

Scott Carson
Dirk Kuyt
John Arne Riise
Jermaine Pennant
Andriy Voronin
Anthony Le Tallec
Danny Guthrie
Sebastian Leto
Harry Kewell

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:44 am

Hicks - OUT!
Gillette - OUT
Moores - OUT
Parry - OUT!

If that ballbag Moureen comes in. does that mean we all have to buy little plastic formula 1-esque red and white flags and wave them about pointlessly? Oh, and Judge would also have to change his avatar, God forbid.

:O
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:48 am

can't be bothered checking, but are the people who slate rotation the same ones who are saying we should scrap all but 6 or 7 of the squad, buy some new players and then hope to win the prem next season?

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:43 am

andy_g wrote:can't be bothered checking, but are the people who slate rotation the same ones who are saying we should scrap all but 6 or 7 of the squad, buy some new players and then hope to win the prem next season?

No mate, I don't think they are. Most people who slag rotation seem to be of the belief that the squad of players which we currently have is capable of a better showing in the League, and further seem to think this would be achieveable with more consistent selection methods.

As for winning the Premiership next season, I think it's probably fair to say not many people think we'll do that whether they are pro or anti rotation. I think people hanker after a title challenge, but I don't think many people expect us to win the Premiership, nor do I think they expected that this season to be perfectly honest.

There are eccentric people on both sides of all fences on here, but posters who believe that 279 unforced changes to the team so far this season or whatever it is might possibly be overdoing it a bit are by and large reasonably sensible I reckon.

Funnily enough, it would probably be people who are pro-rotation who would be more likely to advocate buying and selling more players. The argument goes that it's not the fact that you are rotating that is the problem in itself, but the fact that the players you are rotating aren't actually good enough. It also adds weight to the "Rafa hasn't been allowed to compete properly in the transfer market" argument.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LegBarnes » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:12 pm

bigmick wrote:
andy_g wrote:can't be bothered checking, but are the people who slate rotation the same ones who are saying we should scrap all but 6 or 7 of the squad, buy some new players and then hope to win the prem next season?

No mate, I don't think they are. Most people who slag rotation seem to be of the belief that the squad of players which we currently have is capable of a better showing in the League, and further seem to think this would be achieveable with more consistent selection methods.

As for winning the Premiership next season, I think it's probably fair to say not many people think we'll do that whether they are pro or anti rotation. I think people hanker after a title challenge, but I don't think many people expect us to win the Premiership, nor do I think they expected that this season to be perfectly honest.

There are eccentric people on both sides of all fences on here, but posters who believe that 279 unforced changes to the team so far this season or whatever it is might possibly be overdoing it a bit are by and large reasonably sensible I reckon.

Funnily enough, it would probably be people who are pro-rotation who would be more likely to advocate buying and selling more players. The argument goes that it's not the fact that you are rotating that is the problem in itself, but the fact that the players you are rotating aren't actually good enough. It also adds weight to the "Rafa hasn't been allowed to compete properly in the transfer market" argument.

:nod

Yep we could have had a g00d shot this year if we played are best 11 week in week out.

Also yes we need 5 more top players if we gonna challange for title.

about 60 mil worth i think.
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion