Which players should we buy in summer? - And in what departments!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ivor_the_injun » Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:05 pm

I'm a big fan of Riise, and was livid with Houllier's treatment of him. Fine, he's not too hot defensively, but for his attacking instincts alone I'd have him pencilled in every week. The only left-back in the Premiership I'd think of playing ahead of him would be Wayne Bridge, and he's hardly the most consistent performer.

If you want LFC playing more attacking football, it'd be madness to consider not having Riise in the side.
ivor_the_injun

Postby Stan Laurel » Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:39 pm

Well said, Ivor. You are spot on about Riise and attacking football too, mate.
Stan Laurel
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:13 pm

Owen will be injuried for at least a third of the season and I have confidence in Baros filling in, even if Owen goes.

The second forward will be Cisse but if he's injured, poor form etc we need another top forward. I think Hasselbank (is he on a free?) would be great, or Viduka.

Both big guys who can score. I don't know anything about Cisse, I know he's big but can he hold the ball up? is he good in the air? Collymore was big but ****** in the air, Fowler & Owen are both decent and they're midgets.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:17 pm

big niall, go to the link and u will see all his goals this season

http://www.aja.free.fr/2003-2004/videos_0304.htm

add what u think HE IS ONE OF US NOW
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Big Niall » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:24 pm

There's an old saying (well I heard it on the Sopranos) "even a broken clock is right twice a day"

I am sure Manu saw a video of Forlan knocking in goals from all over the place.

I wouldn't recommend a player on the back of some highlights, didn't Heskey score a bycicle kick against somebody this season?

I wouldn't sign a player on the back of a good European championships either (Poborski anybody?). Only sign a player on what he does for his club week in / week out and preferably for more than one season.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:28 pm

or diouf- who nobody had ever heard of before he had a good game against france in the world cup (by skinning the extremely pacey frank lebeouf).
:angry:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:28 pm

3 seasons of being the top scorer in france, known for being the best player in french football.... thats enough for me.

Then you watch him and see pace, power, direct approach and good finishing... theres ability there.

If you can't accept that you're blind.
115-1073096938

Postby nebing1986 » Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:14 pm

Stan Laurel wrote:Well said, Ivor. You are spot on about Riise and attacking football too, mate.

Sorry to break in guys... Emm... Yes, Riise is great in attack but what's a defender's main job? To defend, that why they are called defender... I don't think that he had performed at his very best last season neither in defending nor attacking. Well, he had a poor season and some hard time as well... Yes, we need to give him a chance but still..., we need to add a LB in our squad. I don't think there's anyone suitable enough to replace Riise right now if he injure. Ivor, I'm quite argee with what you posted on 31th may. But Traore and Biscan have to go... But if they leave the squad... Who will replace Riise if something goes wrong to him? I think we can add someone like A.Cole (Arsenal). So..., what do you guys think about my suggestion?
You'll Never Walk Alone
nebing1986

Postby Sean » Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:31 pm

Ashley Cole won't leave Arsenal in the summer.  Carra played brilliantly in the treble season at left full.  Ultimately what we need is a solid back four that play week in week out without disruption (e.g. Babbel, Hyypia, Henchoz, Carr in 2001).  All the great sides built on a solid back four (Neal, Lawrenson, Hansen, A. Kennedy in 1984) etc.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby emmanuel » Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:08 am

Some informations on Yepes

He used to play at river plate one or two years ago and is nom under contract with FC Nantes. He is a lot better than anybody of this team and has been approach by some big clubs like Real and I think Milan. He can play as a central denfender as well as a skipper. I saw many of his games and he impressed me every time. He s fast, excellent at tackling, he marks his opponent like a fierce watchdog et makes proper pass. According to me, he would be a top signing
emmanuel

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion