Which five things would you change right now?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:09 pm

We have the makings of a good team but there are parts of our play which really frustrate me.
Which things would you rectify to make the team better? Obviously score goals but Im talking about general play:
1. Stop Gerrard taking corners, He is the best striker of the ball and is decent in the air as well. He is wasted being at the corner flag. He should be in the box or on the edge waiting for the ball to drop.
2. Learn how to take throw ins. We seem to give the ball away as soon as we get a throw in. Why claim the ball if you just give it away with the throw? Either dont claim or use the advantage
3. Shoot from outside the box. We tend to overplay and try to walk it into the net. Lets have more shots at goal, especially Gerrard and Suarez.
4. Stop putting high crosses into the box in open play. Carrolls gone and we have no target man. It is wasteful and useless.
5. Sterling needs to be more selfish. On two occassions yesterday he was in the area and chose to look for Suarez instead of going for goal himself. He needs to take people on as well. I cant remember one time yesterday when he ran at defenders and pushed the ball past them. He would terrify defenders if he did this and I hope he hasnt been told to stop.

Your turn...
Thommo's perm

Postby Boxscarf » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:33 am

I'd drop Gerrard to the bench and have a midfield trio of Allen, Sahin and Shelvey.

I'd try an attacking trio of Sterling on the left, Yesil in the middle and Suarez on the right.

Stewart Downing is by far our best left back at the moment, I would start him over Johnson and Enrique.
Last edited by Boxscarf on Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boxscarf

Postby Kenny Kan » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:07 am

1) for all the talk of our potential attacking play underlined by Rodger's footballing philosophy, I would change or put much more emphasis on our defending in training. Shipping in on average 2 goals a game is alarming, considering we've in recent years (last decade) had a pretty mean defence.

2) I'd play Gerrard upfront. And look to play either of Sahin, Allen, Lucas, Suso, Shelvey or Henderson in a 3 man midfield.

3) Get Johnson back to right back and get Enrique up to speed again.

4) With Skertel & Agger especially (because of their pace), I think the defensive  line needs to squeeze the play more and condense the lines between them and Allen down. We look too prone to counter attacks, and give the opposition acres of space to do their damage.

5) I'd play Borini through the middle. I think he'll be more accustomed to the role as opposed to out wide. I think it's also important to get this lad scoring goals. I'd start an attacking trio of : 

Gerrard-Borini-Suarez

Although this is tough on Sterling he'd still have a massive role to play. Whether it be impact sub, or starter in certain games. I think we need to get an attacking trio firing and confident, considering Gerrard's abilities in front of goal and the threat he carries in whipping crosses in, in tandem with Borini's clever movement a possible attacking combo could be on there to utilise, it's can't hurt to try this.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:31 am

One simple change ,commit more bodies to the box ,everytime we attack at least 3-4 players must be inside the box. Considering we don't have a clinical striker at the moment ,such a presence is bound to produce more goals.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Boxscarf » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:35 am

only me » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:31 am wrote:One simple change ,commit more bodies to the box ,everytime we attack at least 3-4 players must be inside the box. Considering we don't have a clinical striker at the moment ,such a presence is bound to produce more goals.

This has been one of our main problems for years. If you look at United they always have players in and around the opponents box when they enter it during an attack. It's very effective and I think Brendan should put more stress on this.
Boxscarf

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:47 am

only me » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:31 am wrote:One simple change ,commit more bodies to the box ,everytime we attack at least 3-4 players must be inside the box. Considering we don't have a clinical striker at the moment ,such a presence is bound to produce more goals.

Agreed. I don't think we need anywhere near 5 changes.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:48 am

1. Stop Pepe Reina from taking long goal kicks, 75% of the time it ends with giving the ball away.
2. more players pushing into the box.
3. learnd how to take a throw in.
4. players must stay on their feet
5. stop moving the ball at free kicks, they always get charged down.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redalltheway36 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:21 pm

buy 5 new strikers llorente hulk falcao benzema and heskey?
redalltheway36
LFC Member

Postby tonyeh » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:08 pm

Boxscarf » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:35 am wrote:

This has been one of our main problems for years. If you look at United they always have players in and around the opponents box when they enter it during an attack. It's very effective and I think Brendan should put more stress on this.

Agreed and I've been saying it for years. It used to drive me nuts seeing a lone striker in a red shirt trying to get one past 4 or 5 defenders and a goalie, with the midfield stuck at the halfway line.

The problem today is though, that Liverpool are leaking goals at an alarming rate. Even if they had a decent striker or more attempts on goal, there would still be a - goal difference. The back end needs tightening up as well. It's going to be really difficult for Brendan to sort out both ends satisfactorily.
tonyeh

Postby lakes10 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:28 pm

The Hustler » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:43 pm wrote:"Learn how to take throw ins!" ??

""Learn how to take throw ins!" ??"

thats a big one mate, football is all about stats now and the stats say that we give the ball away ofter two moves after a throw ins over 70% of thetime.
(sky stats)
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:42 pm

lakes10 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:28 pm wrote:

thats a big one mate, football is all about stats now and the stats say that we give the ball away ofter two moves after a throw ins over 70% of thetime.
(sky stats)

Christ Thommo does watch with a keen eye
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:51 pm

lakes10 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:28 pm wrote:

(sky stats)

Ive been saying it for years and years mate. If a throw=in is seen as an advantage then use it as such. If players think its trivial and useless then stop Fu*king claiming for them. I think throw-ins are looked on as a sort of nuisance break in play and more of a hinderance to most. They can be used to devastating effect in the oppositions half but if you watch us its like a chore. We wait for someone to actually offer to take it and then theres no movement, like everyone cant be ar'sed accepting the ball, then ultimately giving it back to the opposition.
Its amazing that so many think that a throw-in is unimportant and dont believe its an advantage which can help you win a game
Thommo's perm

Postby Boxscarf » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:44 pm

tonyeh » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:08 pm wrote:
Agreed and I've been saying it for years. It used to drive me nuts seeing a lone striker in a red shirt trying to get one past 4 or 5 defenders and a goalie, with the midfield stuck at the halfway line.

The problem today is though, that Liverpool are leaking goals at an alarming rate. Even if they had a decent striker or more attempts on goal, there would still be a - goal difference. The back end needs tightening up as well. It's going to be really difficult for Brendan to sort out both ends satisfactorily.

I concur. I don't know what's wrong with our defence this season, they've gone from being the third best to being the one of the worst with only Queens Park Rangers and Southampton having conceded more. It's simple errors at the back that have been costly, United's successful counter from Valencia which led to the Johnson 'foul' which gave United game, set and match.

Nearly all of the goals we have conceded have been mistakes of our defenders and goalkeeper. Brendan does indeed have a difficult job on his hands made all the more difficult by penny pinching owners who are probably one of the only clubs following FFP religiously.
Boxscarf

Postby The Raven » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:31 am

redalltheway36 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:21 pm wrote:buy 5 new strikers llorente hulk falcao benzema and heskey?

Are you taking the *****? Your not funny, You would have him in the team? Really?

No way is falco good enough for liverpool! :buttrock

Back on topic.

I can only really think of one,

Bodies in the box, The amount of time we get joy from the flanks and no one is there to cross to in annoying, If only we had a big center forward.......o wait...........dam.
The Raven

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:17 am

lakes10 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:48 am wrote:5. stop moving the ball at free kicks, they always get charged down.

This one really makes me mad..I don't understand the sense in it really.
maypaxvobiscum

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion