Where it's all gone wrong - My honest opinion

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Fri May 14, 2004 11:47 am

Liverpool have just secured Champions League football for the third time in our history and we are hopefully about to receive a enormous cash injection from a man who builds houses (surely a pun in the making for tabloid writers) or a man from the Far East who obviously has his heart and soul in the club. Are Liverpool’s supporters ecstatic about all this news? Well, not exactly. As documented by many fans since Newcastle’s draw with Southampton, fourth place is simply not good enough, not because of our tradition and not because of our four European cups. It is not good enough because the manager, players and club seem happy and content with their ‘success’.

When I looked over the Melwood training ground wall in 2001 I was surprised to see that the starting eleven for the weekend game was playing against…well, no one. I watched the ball leave Westerveld’s hands for Babbels assured feet. He passed inside to Hamman who managed to resist the temptation to pass it back to Henchoz. Henchoz was, although perhaps not, heard to shout that it was ‘too tight’ as he retreated to the eighteen-yard box. Hamman played the ball into Owen who spun his marker (indulge me) and raced of into the right wing area where he delivered a pinpoint cross that rolled across the six-yard box to Heskey who only had the crisp packet to beat. Heskey, to the stool brigade’s surprise rolled the ball nicely into the goal and added another one to his total for that season.

The purpose of all this nostalgia is that when watching Liverpool in 2004 it finally occurred to me that Houllier would be a great coach and Liverpool a great team if they were allowed to play no one every week. Houllier has developed a team which is the archetypal coaches dream and in principle and on paper should play the correct and modern way of playing with a strong defence, a holding midfielder, technically correct midfielders and fast, athletic forwards. However and unfortunately we play football on grass and maybe in the future on astroturf, if UEFA get their way. Houlliers team demonstrates a lack of other vital modern day qualities such as pacey defenders, deep lying goal-scoring midfielders, quick wide men who can go forwards and backwards. Finally his team misses an ingredient that transcends all era’s of football, quality.

There are many elements of Houlliers reign that fans will discuss and argue for hours. I recognise and commend his rehabilitation of Liverpool, as a professional outfit that did what all football clubs at every level should be about, winning trophies. His commitment to professionalism and bringing in the right character was excellent decision making and he got his reward with five trophies. However, something did not just feel right even when two of Liverpool’s players were often picking up cups. Firstly the style was functional rather than extravagant and, although admittedly Liverpool scored 127 goals, they rarely steamrollered teams. The defence was strong yet an inability for central defenders to carry the ball over the halfway line meant midfielders were playing deeper than required and an over reliance on Owen and Heskey’s speed occurred. Boring? Talentless? Emphatically no. Owen, Gerrard, Hyypia, Henchoz, Hamman and even Fowler (remember him?) were outstanding players who all gave sustained good performances. The decision to sign and play McAllister was a shrewd decision, which was rewarded with an outstanding end to the season from the aggressive Scot. However, the decision not to replace McAllister was a horrendous misjudgement of his own teams skills and abilities. McAllister had proven quality. All signings since then have proved unsuccessful. Diouf, Cheyrou, Diao, Dimode, Biscan, Riise (a moderate success) were not proven quality and should never have been purchased collectively at such high prices. They have overall been disastrous signings and ultimately I fear they will be Houllier’s legacy like the unfortunate Torben Piehnick was for Souness.

The club has taken a slow step backwards over the last two years, which is demonstrated by the lack of imagination within the team. It is not an exaggeration to suggest that Steven Gerrard is currently carrying a team, which has huffed and puffed for two consecutive years. The injuries and bad luck, which Houllier often refers to, have been a factor. However, a reliance on playing players out of position or changing their roles will never win league titles. Players such as Carragher, a midfielder turned defender (albeit a good one); Biscan, a midfielder turned defender; Riise, midfielder or defender? Murphy, inside or outside midfielder? Gerrard, wide, deep, attacking, coming from the left, why not just let the man play centre midfield? Diouf, forward turned midfielder; Heskey, forward turned bar room joke; Smicer, midfielder turned forward-cum-training-ground player; Diao, world-cup-hero midfielder turned reserve team right back; Kewell, attacking left midfielder turned forward floater a la Rodney Marsh. Rodney did not win a lot did he? There is no doubt all these players are good players, but are they footballers and more importantly are they Liverpool players? Do they have pace, skill, ability and attitude? Other than Gerrard and Owen do any of those listed above have all those qualities? Emphatically no again.

Therefore where does Liverpool go from here? Firstly a cash injection is necessary but if it comes I know every Liverpool fan has a worry and asks the same question, which is, “do you want Houllier to spend it?” We do not trust him with our money, which ultimately is a lack of faith. I like him, most fans do, but do we want to spend £14 million on a temperamental Cisse who is not proven at the top level? I know I do not want him to. I would not trust him with my pocket money. Liverpool truly are at the crossroads at the moment and I do not think they realise how much so. The financial implications of future signings to come will affect the club for the next decade but as a fan I should support and say something Houllier is fond of saying to, and about, his players, “ I believe in you Gerard, I trust in you” Was that convincing? Unfortunately it was as convincing as Gerard speaking about Igor. Gerard is fond of talking about the storm but can he lead us through the clouds and into the sunset or will he be walking alone? We shall see what the future brings.

please feel free to reply and let me know if you agree with what i have said.
???
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ICE-MAN » Fri May 14, 2004 11:50 am

[/quote]It is not good enough because the manager, players and club seem happy and content with their ‘success’.

gerrard is not happy owen is not happy and houllier and parry both came out and said its not acceptable for this club but its improvement on last year so im afraid i have to disagree with that quote :cool:
ICE-MAN

Postby stmichael » Fri May 14, 2004 11:52 am

ok point taken, although later on i did point out that gerrard and owen are two of the very few who appear to have the right attitude.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby fritzylfc » Fri May 14, 2004 11:55 am

we have some great players on paper but unfortnatly they can,t play on grass
fritzylfc

Postby dawson99 » Fri May 14, 2004 11:58 am

Excellant post there.
I kind of agree and disagree at the same time. I do not think that the tam, players, coaching staff are happy with the so called success of this seasons campaign. I do, however think that theya re happy to have claimed 4th spot and although this is still nowhere near where we want to be we have to look at the big picture. And that is that we will have champions football, or qualifiers at least!, next season.

On paper we do indeed have a fantastic team, i think that the coaching staff needs to stand up and be counted.

As for the transfers, of course we did not make the kind of buys that ****** have made and it really can look dissapointing. Id like to give more credit to some of our players though as well as Owen and Gerrard.
Carragher since coming back from injury ahs been a talisman for the club and wears his heart on his sleeve and gives his all every game.
Hypia has played every minute of every game this season, hes liverpool to the bone and even though the captains armband was taken away from him, it did not affect how he has done his job.
Risse has done well to get back into the squad and has shown he lvoes the club with his attacking play.
Kewel has not had a good season at all by his standards but has still put in the goals and is looking like a top buy for us.
Finnan is a tough one for me, i think he is alot better than he has shown us this season
Hamman: ive enjoyed watching him play, he is german efficiency at its best. Hes started comnig forward a bit more as well which is nice to see.

So although i do agree with most of what you say id liek to give a little more credit to the otehr players we have here at liverpool, and just hope that we can move forward a lot mroe next season
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fritzylfc » Fri May 14, 2004 12:13 pm

we have an endless list of coaches, badges for this badges for that, welsh english french possible thai, is it the coaching or the players ,we have very little shape or movement.change the coaches
fritzylfc

Postby stmichael » Fri May 14, 2004 12:15 pm

it's ok blaming the coaches, but they will just reply by saying that they can only work with what they are given. i think the main responsibility lies with the players and their general desire to improve.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby dawson99 » Fri May 14, 2004 12:16 pm

Im just saying that i think we have got more good players than is being implied, but we need 3 or 4 world class oens to join the core that we have. To say that Gerrard and Owen are the only ones trying is a little insulting to the others if you ask me
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fritzylfc » Fri May 14, 2004 12:21 pm

okay take murphy has not impoved since he arrived gerrard on the other hand is now workd class effort energy the guy has the lot, :)
fritzylfc

Postby Redtribe » Fri May 14, 2004 12:21 pm

Sami has the right attitude so does Carra
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri May 14, 2004 12:25 pm

fritzylfc wrote:okay take murphy has not impoved since he arrived gerrard on the other hand is now workd class effort energy the guy has the lot, :)

that's rubbish. murphy was rotting in the reserves and on the brink of leaving the club at the start of the treble season. over the next two seasons he improved immensely and got the players player of the year award last season. his form has dipped this season, mainly due to lack of confidence and not being picked regularly.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby fritzylfc » Fri May 14, 2004 12:28 pm

point taken, so we have 4 or 5, do we have too many foriengers? :)
fritzylfc

Postby dawson99 » Fri May 14, 2004 12:29 pm

i think whatw e are all trying to say is that we have the backbone of a greatteam, but smething just isnt clicking. You cant blame it on one thing but everything together just isnt giving us the results we deserve and something is gonna have to happen. A few new layers, a change in coaching and a change in confidence to alll combine to pu us challenging for the title
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri May 14, 2004 12:32 pm

our first choice eleven is easily as good as man united's imo. it's the majority of squad players who don't cut the mustard.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby fritzylfc » Fri May 14, 2004 12:38 pm

so who would you like go, who would you bring in
fritzylfc

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion