What is rafa leaves ? - Who would take over.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The_Rock » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:11 am

Well i am not really that concerned about gerrard, as we have shown numerous times this season that we can win without him. I am now also leaning on the fact that if we gte 35 million from ANYBODY(no need to be from spain), we should take it.

I am more concerned about rafa going or what if he goes. I know rafa has said that he wants to honour his contract and all, but what if he really goes ? Who will replace him ?

If you think about it,  Any other manager we get and he wil not be as good as rafa is. Scary thought isn't it ?

I hope the board gives rafa an 50,000 pounds per week contract to ensure he stays here, because with the season real madrid had, it would be foolish for them not to take rafa away from us.

Just what is rafa goes ? who will we get ?

1)Butcher face from bolton ? (i don't want a team of over-the-hill foreigners).
2)Curbishley ?  ok manager. But that is it. He is average.
3)Any ex-players who can make it ? Always thought hansen would make a classy manager....... But he hasn't managed a club before.
4)Foreign managers like cappelo or that omar hitz (sp ? - ex manager from bayern) ?

Not that great rite ? Hope rafa does not leave.... Anyway, anyone know what happen to that ex-real madrid manager who got sacked even when he won the champions league ? He might make a good replacement for rafa.... (if he does go), what with all the spanish players we have.

The talk in the press room at the break was centred around new rumours emanating from Spain suggesting Rafa Benitez had been approached to take over at Real Madrid next season.

Losing their respected manager may be more of a blow to Liverpool than seeing the star player sold for a vast fortune, but those Benitez to the Bernabeu stories refuse to go away.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature?id=330923&cc=4716

Time to go, captain

The Insider

You must remember the days when Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard was the idol of the Kop, a local hero who could do no wrong on Merseyside.

Gerrard battles with Stephen Kelly (LaurenceGriffiths/GettyImages)

Indeed, had the man who goes by the name of 'Stevie G' toured the streets of Merseyside in one of those armoured vehicles used by the late Pope John Paul II a few months ago, the masses would have turned out acclaiming the great one, to toss flowers in his path.

However, it seems the good will he once took for granted is ebbing away. The talk among Reds fans making their way to Anfield for this game was the time may have come to offload a player who is rapidly being considered high maintenance.

This remarkable transformation in mood among the Anfield faithful is astonishing in its speed, but when you look at the facts, there is some logic behind it.

Gerrard has played in just five of Liverpool's 10 Champions League games en-route to the semi-finals, he tends to pick up injuries at key moments and despite his brilliance when in the side, the constant rumours surrounding his departure is becoming tiresome for all involved.

When last Sunday's newspapers claimed a 'prominent Premiership manager' had let it slip that Gerrard had already signed for Chelsea, the straw on the fictional camel's back may have been snapped.

By the way, Soccernet's Insider can reveal the manager in question was one Sir Alex Ferguson and the Manchester United boss is so furious with the press men who ran the story after he asked them to keep it under their hats that he has banned them from his press conferences for the rest of the season.

Wednesday night's heroic effort in seeing off Juventus in the Champions League added further weight to those who feel Gerrard is an unwanted extra an Anfield. His absence through injury wasn't felt in Turin and a couple of Kopites attending this game were clearly ready to condemn him to yesterday's man.

'I'd take the money from Chelsea, say thanks very much and let him go,' was the verdict of one fan making his way toward Anfield. This stocky little chap didn't have too many detractors shouting him down and his pal even suggested the cash coming into the club may be more beneficial for manager Rafa Benitez than an unhappy captain.

'Look at Benitez's signings,' he said. 'Xabi Alonso, Luis Garcia and Fernando Morientes. If that's the sort of quality he can bring to the club for little or nothing, then I'd love to see what he could do with £35m from selling Gerrard.'

Such words against Gerrard would have been considered blasphemy after Gerrard fired Liverpool into the later stages of the Champions League with his stunning goal against Olympiakos back in December, but the tide appears to have turned.

Our chief subject was back in the Liverpool side after his midweek break for the visit of Tottenham, a fixture that meant so much to both sides. After the glories of Turin, a mundane league game could have passed the Reds by, but qualifying for next season's Champions League remains their primary target and winning this game was essential in that aim.

As for Spurs, they are looking like a side ready to achieve more than mid-table obscurity. Starting this game in seventh place, staying there could be enough to secure UEFA Cup football if Manchester United win their FA Cup semi-final against Newcastle and they are finally a side on the up.

False dawns have been plentiful at White Hart Lane in recent years, but their performance at Anfield suggested they may be able to back up their promise with tangible success this time.

Their opening goal in this game, struck with fearsome power and accuracy from all over 35 yards by Erik Edman in the 12th minute, may just go down as the best of the season and the way they passed the ball around and battled for every loose ball was good to see.

Liverpool dominated for long periods without creating too many chances, but after 44 minutes, Luis Garcia unleashed a stunning equaliser that was almost as eye-catching as Edman's opener.

Sami Hyypia celebrates after snatching a point (NealSimpson/Empics)

The talk in the press room at the break was centred around new rumours emanating from Spain suggesting Rafa Benitez had been approached to take over at Real Madrid next season.

Losing their respected manager may be more of a blow to Liverpool than seeing the star player sold for a vast fortune, but those Benitez to the Bernabeu stories refuse to go away.

With the sun beating down on the Anfield turf, the stage was set for the 'Gerrard of old' to take hold of the game, but it was another player likely to make a move this summer who did just that as Robbie Keane restored Tottenham's lead with a 55th minute goal.

Those expressing doubts about Steven Gerrard's Liverpool future had further cause for complaint as he smashed a penalty high and wide a couple of minutes after Keane's strike, but a second equaliser wasn't far away as Sami Hyypia fired home with a solid volley in the 63rd minute.

It was Gerrard who came closest to finding a winner as his shot stuck the woodwork in the dying minutes, but Tottenham had worked hard enough to deserve a draw and coach Martin Jol was a content man as he met the press.

"The first half an hour may be our best football of the season," said the jovial Dutchman. "We silenced the crowd with our performance and the opening goal was something incredible.

'I have never seen a shot from so far out end up in the back of the net. In the end, a draw is probably a good result for us. We are still in a good position and can look to the rest of the season with confidence."

Rafa Benitez wasn't so bullish as he bemoaned his side's lack of cutting edge. "We should have won the game, that is clear," he stated. "When you look at the chances we missed, it's a real shame. The players gave their all, so I cannot criticise them, but I'm disappointed.

"We played with a high tempo, which was a good effort after our match on Wednesday in Italy, but in the end, we couldn't find the crucial goal. Still, we have to carry on trying to get fourth."

Gerrard's miserable day ended with him issuing a public apology to Liverpool supporters after his penalty miss.

"It was my fault we didn't win this game and I want to say sorry to the fans," he said in a TV interview. "Hopefully I get the chance to make up for my mistakes in the remaining games of this season."

It seems inevitable that whatever Steven Gerrard contributes to Liverpool in the next few weeks will be akin to a parting gift.

MAN OF THE MATCH: Michael Dawson - Making his Premiership debut after his move from Nottingham Forest, Dawson looked a class act alongside Ledley King and he should prove to be a great buy for Spurs.

WHAT A GOAL: Seeing is believing when it comes to Erik Edman's stunning opening goal. It's bound to feature on goal of the season collections for years to come.

CHANT OF THE MATCH: Tottenham's vocal travelling band wasted precisely three minutes before throwing a rendition of 'Chelsea's No.8' in Steven Gerrard's direction.

GERRARD VERDICT: He may not have been 100 per cent fit, but the Liverpool captain seems to have lost the verve that made him such a special player a few months ago. Completing a move to Chelsea may just be the best solution for all concerned.
Last edited by The_Rock on Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:22 am

The_Rock wrote:MAN OF THE MATCH: Michael Dawson - Making his Premiership debut after his move from Nottingham Forest, Dawson looked a class act alongside Ledley King and he should prove to be a great buy for Spurs.

had a good game, but to say he was MOM over Xabi is a joke.

The author is a biased southern tw@t i'm guessing?
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:54 am

Rafas not going anywhere.

This interview took place the day before the return game against Juve.

http://www.abc.es/abc....065.asp

Q. Time flies by, it feels like it was yesterday the day you left Valencia for Liverpool.

- 9 months and I can only say that I am very happy with the decision I made. I am happy here. I feel that I am valued, that people respect my work. From the board to the fans, they all know that we are goin through difficult times, that we don't have the money of Chelsea, Arsenal or United. They have understood that injuries have affected seriously my work during my first year, and looking at the number of them nobody can say that they are excuses.

Q Tell us about English football, from inside...

-Here people live football with passion but there is less pressure (on the manager). They don't make a tragedy out of a defeat, perhaps they may do so out of a campaign, but they know that everything takes its time. I think they respect more your work than in Spain. Nobody interferes with your work, they let you do and don't put obstacles, rather the opposite.

On the pitch you have to get used that all games start with 3 elbows and 3 rash challenges, and that or you enter that type of game or you are out of it. It is a very direct football.

Q Too much perhaps.

In Spain nobody plays that type of game.
Here, 50% or more of the teams don't care about midfield play. From they own box to the other. it is difficult to counteract that style as you can't put pressure on the ball. They destroy you with the long ball.

The team is assimilating what I want from them. Some players more than others. Some find it difficult. They all work, put interest, but it is hard for them. We have players of 14 nationalities. If money wise
we are not Chesea or Manchester, on the pitch we aren't either, we don't have the ability they have.

Q. But injuries aside, the quality of the squad aside, the team is playing badly. It is almost a miracle that Liverpool are fith and in the quarter finals of the CH L.

Well, we are not playing that badly. We lack consistency. We have played good games and some very bad games, I accept that. But I have benn unable to put the same team in two consecutive matches.
That the fans are valuing what we are doing is proof that I am telling you the truth. My aim is not that Liverpool play like Valencia, that is impossible, but I want defensive solidity, that the team control the games. But know they don't know how. We lack experience.
I have noticed that the fans love the pass and move style of play, to play the short ball. Liverpool has always been a team that have played good football, they haven't been the typical English side. When we have the full squad available we will be able to play that way. We need Xavi, Morientes. I don't want to break with the past, I want to keep the identity of this club on the pitch, their intensity, their agresivity, thier passion, their English espirit.

Q And how do you handle being the general manager and responsible for everything?

Well, working from 9 to 6 or 7, and trying not to exceed the power I have. I tend to take agreed decisions with the chief executive who I see every day. And once a month I meet the executive board who ask me 4 or 5 questions. The chairman always tells me that I do whatever is neccesary. This is what I was telling you about respect. He even asks me for permission to get into the dressing room or take a picture with the players!!. I know I have more power than a mere coach.
Now we know that we must get it right when trying to sign new players and transmit to the them a winning mentality. We are looking for talented and professional players, and if I have to bring more Spanish players there won't be any problems. Here what they want is quality and the Spanish market is cheaper than the English

Q From what I see you seem like you are going to stay long in Liverpool

It is going to be difficult to get me out of here, whatever good the offer is. I feel that here they are happy with me.

Q. Tomorrow game impossible....

Why? We are going to fight. If we score one goal they will need three. This team has heart, they don't surrender easily. We know who Juventus are, that one goal is enough for them, that Gerrard is not available...
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:36 am

Say what you say about new owners and new investment, but our current owners and board seem like a class act. Managers have always said that about Liverpool.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:42 am

as you know i think he will leave but i am not sure the Real job is going to come up just yet so we might have him for the start of next season
Last edited by lakes10 on Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:52 am

Would this happen at madrid? no certainly not he wouldnt have a say in the matter, hes not going anywhere end of story.

Q Tell us about English football, from inside...

-Here people live football with passion but there is less pressure (on the manager). They don't make a tragedy out of a defeat, perhaps they may do so out of a campaign, but they know that everything takes its time. I think they respect more your work than in Spain. Nobody interferes with your work, they let you do and don't put obstacles, rather the opposite.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:56 am

Their is no doubt Rafa has had a tough season but I don't think this would make him pack his bags and leave just cos things ain't gone too smooth, Rafa is a winner and knows that this season is a one off and we are a good team and club, he isn't a quiter and won't leave us after one season, he'll give it more time to bring in his own players and take us back to where we belong :cool:
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:48 am

LFC #1 wrote:
The_Rock wrote:MAN OF THE MATCH: Michael Dawson - Making his Premiership debut after his move from Nottingham Forest, Dawson looked a class act alongside Ledley King and he should prove to be a great buy for Spurs.

had a good game, but to say he was MOM over Xabi is a joke.

The author is a biased southern tw@t i'm guessing?

:D  :D

The author must have been watching a different game to what I saw.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Igor Zidane » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:15 pm

del bosque was the coach of madrid and he went to one of the turkish teams but he got sacked not sure where he is now.
UP THE PURPS !!!
https://www.colfc.co.uk/
Igor Zidane
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby joependo » Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:58 pm

Rafa will not leave but if he does get Martin o'niel in to the job if rafa does leave.If we win the european cup he and Gerrard won't be goin no where.Who would leave a club who's just won european cup and beat the team that Gerrard was goin to.Lets win chelsea and even if we don't win it you'll have to say we got beat by a good side.It's gonna be psv or milan and there both good teams.
joependo

Postby JC_81 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:35 pm

Personally I don't think rafa will be leaving anytime soon, think he'll at least stay to the end of his current contract.

But hypothetically, if he did leave it would have to be another foreign coach.  Not sure who, maybe someone who is yet to emerge as a household name over here.

As for Curbishley/Allardyce/O'Neill, none of them would cut it.  O'Neill especially would be a poor choice.  Celtic are awful to watch.  O'Neill buys players who are big physically and hard to beat but are poor creatively.  It is getting to the stage where a lot of Celtic fans that I know are tired of O'Neill's tactics and they realise he is not good enough tactically to bring them success in the champions league
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:24 pm

No where are we going down the track again, getting coach who only knows physical football with little creative emphasis. A top foreign coach with vast European experience will be the smart choice...and we have argubly the best of them right now...his name is Rafa Benitez and he ain't going nowhere but here.
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:39 pm

The_Rock wrote:Well i am not really that concerned about gerrard, as we have shown numerous times this season that we can win without him. I am now also leaning on the fact that if we gte 35 million from ANYBODY(no need to be from spain), we should take it.

I am more concerned about rafa going or what if he goes. I know rafa has said that he wants to honour his contract and all, but what if he really goes ? Who will replace him ?

If you think about it,  Any other manager we get and he wil not be as good as rafa is. Scary thought isn't it ?

I hope the board gives rafa an 50,000 pounds per week contract to ensure he stays here, because with the season real madrid had, it would be foolish for them not to take rafa away from us.

Just what is rafa goes ? who will we get ?

1)Butcher face from bolton ? (i don't want a team of over-the-hill foreigners).
2)Curbishley ?  ok manager. But that is it. He is average.
3)Any ex-players who can make it ? Always thought hansen would make a classy manager....... But he hasn't managed a club before.
4)Foreign managers like cappelo or that omar hitz (sp ? - ex manager from bayern) ?

Not that great rite ? Hope rafa does not leave.... Anyway, anyone know what happen to that ex-real madrid manager who got sacked even when he won the champions league ? He might make a good replacement for rafa.... (if he does go), what with all the spanish players we have.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature?id=330923&cc=4716

Time to go, captain

The Insider

You must remember the days when Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard was the idol of the Kop, a local hero who could do no wrong on Merseyside.

Gerrard battles with Stephen Kelly (LaurenceGriffiths/GettyImages)

Indeed, had the man who goes by the name of 'Stevie G' toured the streets of Merseyside in one of those armoured vehicles used by the late Pope John Paul II a few months ago, the masses would have turned out acclaiming the great one, to toss flowers in his path.

However, it seems the good will he once took for granted is ebbing away. The talk among Reds fans making their way to Anfield for this game was the time may have come to offload a player who is rapidly being considered high maintenance.

This remarkable transformation in mood among the Anfield faithful is astonishing in its speed, but when you look at the facts, there is some logic behind it.

Gerrard has played in just five of Liverpool's 10 Champions League games en-route to the semi-finals, he tends to pick up injuries at key moments and despite his brilliance when in the side, the constant rumours surrounding his departure is becoming tiresome for all involved.

When last Sunday's newspapers claimed a 'prominent Premiership manager' had let it slip that Gerrard had already signed for Chelsea, the straw on the fictional camel's back may have been snapped.

By the way, Soccernet's Insider can reveal the manager in question was one Sir Alex Ferguson and the Manchester United boss is so furious with the press men who ran the story after he asked them to keep it under their hats that he has banned them from his press conferences for the rest of the season.

Wednesday night's heroic effort in seeing off Juventus in the Champions League added further weight to those who feel Gerrard is an unwanted extra an Anfield. His absence through injury wasn't felt in Turin and a couple of Kopites attending this game were clearly ready to condemn him to yesterday's man.

'I'd take the money from Chelsea, say thanks very much and let him go,' was the verdict of one fan making his way toward Anfield. This stocky little chap didn't have too many detractors shouting him down and his pal even suggested the cash coming into the club may be more beneficial for manager Rafa Benitez than an unhappy captain.

'Look at Benitez's signings,' he said. 'Xabi Alonso, Luis Garcia and Fernando Morientes. If that's the sort of quality he can bring to the club for little or nothing, then I'd love to see what he could do with £35m from selling Gerrard.'

Such words against Gerrard would have been considered blasphemy after Gerrard fired Liverpool into the later stages of the Champions League with his stunning goal against Olympiakos back in December, but the tide appears to have turned.

Our chief subject was back in the Liverpool side after his midweek break for the visit of Tottenham, a fixture that meant so much to both sides. After the glories of Turin, a mundane league game could have passed the Reds by, but qualifying for next season's Champions League remains their primary target and winning this game was essential in that aim.

As for Spurs, they are looking like a side ready to achieve more than mid-table obscurity. Starting this game in seventh place, staying there could be enough to secure UEFA Cup football if Manchester United win their FA Cup semi-final against Newcastle and they are finally a side on the up.

False dawns have been plentiful at White Hart Lane in recent years, but their performance at Anfield suggested they may be able to back up their promise with tangible success this time.

Their opening goal in this game, struck with fearsome power and accuracy from all over 35 yards by Erik Edman in the 12th minute, may just go down as the best of the season and the way they passed the ball around and battled for every loose ball was good to see.

Liverpool dominated for long periods without creating too many chances, but after 44 minutes, Luis Garcia unleashed a stunning equaliser that was almost as eye-catching as Edman's opener.

Sami Hyypia celebrates after snatching a point (NealSimpson/Empics)

With the sun beating down on the Anfield turf, the stage was set for the 'Gerrard of old' to take hold of the game, but it was another player likely to make a move this summer who did just that as Robbie Keane restored Tottenham's lead with a 55th minute goal.

Those expressing doubts about Steven Gerrard's Liverpool future had further cause for complaint as he smashed a penalty high and wide a couple of minutes after Keane's strike, but a second equaliser wasn't far away as Sami Hyypia fired home with a solid volley in the 63rd minute.

It was Gerrard who came closest to finding a winner as his shot stuck the woodwork in the dying minutes, but Tottenham had worked hard enough to deserve a draw and coach Martin Jol was a content man as he met the press.

"The first half an hour may be our best football of the season," said the jovial Dutchman. "We silenced the crowd with our performance and the opening goal was something incredible.

'I have never seen a shot from so far out end up in the back of the net. In the end, a draw is probably a good result for us. We are still in a good position and can look to the rest of the season with confidence."

Rafa Benitez wasn't so bullish as he bemoaned his side's lack of cutting edge. "We should have won the game, that is clear," he stated. "When you look at the chances we missed, it's a real shame. The players gave their all, so I cannot criticise them, but I'm disappointed.

"We played with a high tempo, which was a good effort after our match on Wednesday in Italy, but in the end, we couldn't find the crucial goal. Still, we have to carry on trying to get fourth."

Gerrard's miserable day ended with him issuing a public apology to Liverpool supporters after his penalty miss.

"It was my fault we didn't win this game and I want to say sorry to the fans," he said in a TV interview. "Hopefully I get the chance to make up for my mistakes in the remaining games of this season."

It seems inevitable that whatever Steven Gerrard contributes to Liverpool in the next few weeks will be akin to a parting gift.

MAN OF THE MATCH: Michael Dawson - Making his Premiership debut after his move from Nottingham Forest, Dawson looked a class act alongside Ledley King and he should prove to be a great buy for Spurs.

WHAT A GOAL: Seeing is believing when it comes to Erik Edman's stunning opening goal. It's bound to feature on goal of the season collections for years to come.

CHANT OF THE MATCH: Tottenham's vocal travelling band wasted precisely three minutes before throwing a rendition of 'Chelsea's No.8' in Steven Gerrard's direction.

GERRARD VERDICT: He may not have been 100 per cent fit, but the Liverpool captain seems to have lost the verve that made him such a special player a few months ago. Completing a move to Chelsea may just be the best solution for all concerned.

You truly are full os sh'it.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby BOODIDDY » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:49 pm

how the hell did dawson get man of match southern ******. xabi was streets ahead of anyone else
BOODIDDY
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:01 pm

if anyone came in with a massive offer we`d have to match it - to lose benitez would be a disaster.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion