DANIEL STURRIDGE- Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Red Indian » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:21 am

Sturridge of a couple of years ago would have fit in any system, as he was quick and very mobile (granted he was never the hardest worker but his mobility and movement made up for it).  A lot of posters are implying that the tactics that Klopp employs don't suit Studge but i think the fundamental reason for his drop in form is the loss of a yard or two of pace which appears to be affecting his movement.
Red Indian

Postby Fowler_E7 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:58 am

the usual over reactions i see then, Sturridge was poor the other night but he was given zero service by a midfield who couldn't string two passes together, Firmino was an absolute disgrace for 60 mins and barely completed a successful pass but somehow managed to stay on the pitch for the full 90, I think it was the introduction of Lallana that changed the game not the fact that Sturridge came off, if Firmino came off instead of Sturridge i think we definitely would of improved just as much if not more, imagine Sturridge latching on to that flick from Couthino, Valencia would never got to him.

For the most part even though he hasn't been scoring apart from the Utd and Burnley and games Sturridge has player pretty well so I definitely think he still has a future here.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:51 am

Fowler_E7 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:58 am wrote:the usual over reactions i see then, Sturridge was poor the other night but he was given zero service by a midfield who couldn't string two passes together, Firmino was an absolute disgrace for 60 mins and barely completed a successful pass but somehow managed to stay on the pitch for the full 90, I think it was the introduction of Lallana that changed the game not the fact that Sturridge came off, if Firmino came off instead of Sturridge i think we definitely would of improved just as much if not more, imagine Sturridge latching on to that flick from Couthino, Valencia would never got to him.

For the most part even though he hasn't been scoring apart from the Utd and Burnley and games Sturridge has player pretty well so I definitely think he still has a future here.

It's what Sturridge does without the ball that's concerning people, Firmino wasn't great for the first hour but at least he worked hard and tried to get things going, Danny on the other hand almost looked disinterested.
That front 4 of ours have a crucial role in our pressing game, it's not the back 4 that does all the pressing its those lads further up the pitch and whenever Sturridge plays the opposition always seems to have an out ball to release all the pressure, Carragher even highlighted it before the game (showing clips from the Swansea game).
Look Danny is a cracking lad and a top class player but he is increasingly looking like a square peg in a round hole here under Jurgen, Jurgen demands that his front players put pressure on the ball high up the pitch but that's not Danny's game, Danny's game is sticking the ball in the back of the net, he's not the type of forward that will sprint 40 yards to go chasing after a fullback.
If Danny would tailor his game to suit Jurgen's style we'd probably win the title, when you get players as classy as Sturridge busting their balls to win the ball back that's when you really start becoming a formidable outfit, but hand on heart can you see him changing his game at 27?
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby parchpea » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:41 pm

Sturridges main problem seems to be the amount of attention he gets from everyone including the media, for sure his performance is scrutinised more than anyone else in our front line, perhaps the whole team.

If I take the hype away I see a very good striker with injury issues but I dont every think him lazy or not interested, the lad loves scoring and receiving the  ball and if anything hes a bit greedy at times, but always trying to do the right things.

I actually feel hes a bit under appreciated at Liverpool and some of that is the media always going after him.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:32 pm

Nobody can deny that Sturridge doesnt fit in to the system thats being played now. Hes an out and out penalty box (or just outside) striker. I doubt if he will be here after Christmas and I hope that he goes to a European club and not a PL club. He can still function at the highest level in a team better suited to his talents, lets hope its abroad though...
:(
Thommo's perm

Postby maguskwt » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:41 am

parchpea » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:41 pm wrote:Sturridges main problem seems to be the amount of attention he gets from everyone including the media, for sure his performance is scrutinised more than anyone else in our front line, perhaps the whole team.

If I take the hype away I see a very good striker with injury issues but I dont every think him lazy or not interested, the lad loves scoring and receiving the  ball and if anything hes a bit greedy at times, but always trying to do the right things.

I actually feel hes a bit under appreciated at Liverpool and some of that is the media always going after him.

Fans got not patience for players who suffer injuries one after another and rightly so, they couldn't contribute to the team when the team needs them. Just think back about Harry Kewell. Harry Kewell was a very good attacking midfielder in his prime. But when we talk about Harry Kewell, we just remember his injuries and how he was always unavailable for team selection. This was what's happening to Sturridge last season.

But now he has recovered from his injuries and seem fit and available for selection. I hope that fans and Klopp would give him a chance again. I think last season, he did come on for some cup games and scored some crucial goals that kept us progressing in the cups.

And regarding him not fitting into Klopp's style, I think the reason is a bit exaggerated. He is not a natural at geggenpressing, yes. But he is a mobile and quick player. A player that likes to have the ball at his feet and run with it. In fact he played on the wings at chelsea on and off.  Surely, a manager of Klopp's stature COULD make use of him in his tactics. I don't believe Klopp is that inflexible and Sturridge is not COMPLETELY useless. In fact he is probably one of the best strikers in the league. I think it's more to do with relationship. Klopp called him out in the media to toughen up mentally. He didn't like it. Ever since then their relationship hasn't been very rosy. Benteke's relationship with Klopp wasn't good as well and he was shipped out promptly. Now he was someone that really didn't fit. So unless that frosty relationship thaws, it doesn't look good for Sturridge at this club, especially when he still has good market value.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:32 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:51 am wrote:
Fowler_E7 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:58 am wrote:the usual over reactions i see then, Sturridge was poor the other night but he was given zero service by a midfield who couldn't string two passes together, Firmino was an absolute disgrace for 60 mins and barely completed a successful pass but somehow managed to stay on the pitch for the full 90, I think it was the introduction of Lallana that changed the game not the fact that Sturridge came off, if Firmino came off instead of Sturridge i think we definitely would of improved just as much if not more, imagine Sturridge latching on to that flick from Couthino, Valencia would never got to him.

It's what Sturridge does without the ball that's concerning people, Firmino wasn't great for the first hour but at least he worked hard and tried to get things going, Danny on the other hand almost looked disinterested.
That front 4 of ours have a crucial role in our pressing game, it's not the back 4 that does all the pressing its those lads further up the pitch and whenever Sturridge plays the opposition always seems to have an out ball to release all the pressure, Carragher even highlighted it before the game (showing clips from the Swansea game).
Look Danny is a cracking lad and a top class player but he is increasingly looking like a square peg in a round hole here under Jurgen, Jurgen demands that his front players put pressure on the ball high up the pitch but that's not Danny's game, Danny's game is sticking the ball in the back of the net, he's not the type of forward that will sprint 40 yards to go chasing after a fullback.
If Danny would tailor his game to suit Jurgen's style we'd probably win the title, when you get players as classy as Sturridge busting their balls to win the ball back that's when you really start becoming a formidable outfit, but hand on heart can you see him changing his game at 27?

Good post
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:23 am

Looks like he's going in January. Several media outlets reporting he said he's "ready to leave liverpool"...   :(

The reported price is 28 million... which is ridiculous... he should easily be worth 38-40 million considering today's prices...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:27 am

In todays market he should be going for atleast 45-50 mil. His a proven goal scorer. If Benteke is 32 mill Studge is way above that.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Klopptomaniac » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:31 am

maguskwt » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:23 am wrote:Looks like he's going in January. Several media outlets reporting he said he's "ready to leave liverpool"...   :(

The reported price is 28 million... which is ridiculous... he should easily be worth 38-40 million considering today's prices...

The only problem with a high profile sale like this in January is replacing him. I fully expect his departure in the summer which gives us plenty of time to sort a replacement. We may end up a striker short with no replacement. Agree with the price as well, a seasoned English striker who finds the net more often than not, easily around the £35m mark
Klopptomaniac
LFC Advanced Member

Postby devaney » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:16 pm

Selling him in January would be idiotic. Mané won't be available n January.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:24 pm

I'm not sure we do need to replace him, I think Origi is going to be a star myself, he looks the real deal now even at 21 and he's only going to get better, just look at how the likes of Hendo and Coutinho improved between the ages of 21-24.
I'd just concentrate on strengthening the squad in general, bringing in Dahoud and Pulisic would constitute great business imo.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby eds » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:33 pm

No way should we sell him until the season is done.

Irrespective of the offer.

Challenging for the title is the upmost important over money.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby parchpea » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:53 pm

Honestly I dont think Sturridge really knows what wants from his career from one day to next and bottom line is probably hes just a bit moaney at times, he comes across that way.

Be a real shame if he did feel as though he wanted away as I think hes a big assett for us and at moment is injury free, and should consider whos managing that for him.

Unless he gets an incredible offer or opportunity I honestly believe this is the right club for him, no club or career is perfect.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby aCe' » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:50 pm

- No logic in selling one of your best players
- He's still the best goalscorer at the club
- I'm fairly certain he'll make his way back into the starting 11 sooner or later for whatever reason
- He still scores when started for club and country and I'm yet to see a side who have won a league without a bench player or two making a significant impact.
- I'm not sure about Origi being anywhere near ready for the level we're competing at atm
- We wont get anywhere near his value if we sell him now
- I cant think of many better players to bring on in the last 15 minutes in a tight game against a side parking the bus
- We dont need the money
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion