WBA agree fee for keeper Carson - £3.25 Million - Cheaper than Chips

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Fo Dne » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:32 pm

He's :censored: :censored:. Bad signing on that front, however, we made a nice tidy profit so its not all bad.

Just hope this Cavalalavvvaeriiii or whatever the :censored: he's called better than him.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby red37 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:14 pm

Fo Dne wrote:Just hope this Cavalalavvvaeriiii or whatever the :censored: he's called better than him.

Time and a few games will tell.

He did look a bit 'rusticana' though.....

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:12 pm

people need to get the croatia game out of there heads and stop beating this guy with it, he`s a bloody good keeper who had a bad night, they all have them, look at David James and the howlers he`s made and the keeper carson was put in to replace Paul Robinson.

good luck to the guy
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby tubby » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:25 pm

Is there any buy back clause with this deal? Im just saying because he could well play for England one day if things go right for him and to me this seems like we let him way too cheap.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Keris » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:30 am

Never saw anything special from the guy, a good shot stopper? but aren't most of them...
Good luck at the new club anyway.
Kirkland MK II??
Keris
LFC Super Member

Postby matrix » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:25 am

Toffeehater wrote:3.25 million is not much , i think we should have held out for 4 million at least

All the best carson

this is how bad we want barry...

we need quick cash to end the barry saga...

we sold carson cheap but we had no choice...

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:35 am

John Kegs wrote:He was valued by the club at 10mil yeah, hes not worth anywhere near that though

Not by a long shot is he worth £10m. He has dropped a few more clangers than just the Croatia game, someone on here a while back blamed him for all three against Luton back when we won 5-3 and Alonso scored from halfway. He was in goal for the Juventus game and that was a bit soft their goal.

He's played nine times for Liverpool, conceded 11 goals and kept just two clean sheets - against Bolton and FBK Kaunas.

Carson Games For Liverpool

Newcastle 1-0 Liverpool
Liverpool 1-0 Bolton
Liverpool 2-1 Juventus
Man City 1-0 Liverpool
Liverpool 2-1 Aston Villa
Liverpool 2-0 FBK Kaunas
Liverpool 0-1 CSKA Sofia
C Palace 2-1 Liverpool
Luton T 3-5 Liverpool

Well there's one thing to be said for him, we never drew any games with him in goal! Unfortunately we lost four and won five, not an ideal split given none of those sides bar Juve were much to write home about
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:41 pm

matrix wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:3.25 million is not much , i think we should have held out for 4 million at least

All the best carson

I'm sick of everyone assuming that every player we sell , offload , the money is going to be used to aqquire gareth barry , did it ever occur to some that the players are being sold for other reasons like , crouch a year left on hios contract , riise who has been poor for 2 seasons and carson who wants first team footie
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:04 am

Toffeehater wrote:
matrix wrote:

All the best carson

I'm sick of everyone assuming that every player we sell , offload , the money is going to be used to aqquire gareth barry , did it ever occur to some that the players are being sold for other reasons like , crouch a year left on hios contract , riise who has been poor for 2 seasons and carson who wants first team footie

I agree, it is rather a big assumption that we are selling bits and pieces to sign one player. Rumour has it, not reliable source I may add, that THE deal still hinges on Alonso leaving/being sold and he doesn't want to leave.

Carson was out on loan two seasons in a row, not happy so was bound to leave. Crouch wanted to play more and so leaving was always a likelihood. Riise was at best ok, at wors cr ap and lucky to survive four seasons under Rafa. Guthrie was another fringe player, sold for a good price after a season on loan and being no closer to the first team at Anfield. We've not sold ANY player yet that could be deemed a seriously bad judgement by Rafa, some might argue we shouldn't have sold Crouch, but that isn't everyone's view and certainly not Rafa's. We got very good money for him, for a player who's scoring record was not great and who was used sparingly towards the end of last season. Or put another way how many of them were automatic first choices? You have to sell some players, it's not like most of them dent our squad through their absence.

I think Rafa is doing what I suggested if not last season, then the season before. That is clearing a few players out, raising some cash and then seeking some quality. The worrying (other) rumour I read is we may switch our attention to Downing, another player we won't get cheap. While not all of Rafa's imports have worked, they've all been at least reasonably priced and look a lot better than some of those signed from the Premiership. I hate to think we could spend around £40m on B & K, money we can only spend the once as we'll unlikely get much of it back given their ages. I'd rather it was spent wisely rather than on the first target Rafa set his sights on.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:12 pm

Owzat wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:
matrix wrote:

All the best carson

I agree, it is rather a big assumption that we are selling bits and pieces to sign one player. Rumour has it, not reliable source I may add, that THE deal still hinges on Alonso leaving/being sold and he doesn't want to leave.

Carson was out on loan two seasons in a row, not happy so was bound to leave. Crouch wanted to play more and so leaving was always a likelihood. Riise was at best ok, at wors cr ap and lucky to survive four seasons under Rafa. Guthrie was another fringe player, sold for a good price after a season on loan and being no closer to the first team at Anfield. We've not sold ANY player yet that could be deemed a seriously bad judgement by Rafa, some might argue we shouldn't have sold Crouch, but that isn't everyone's view and certainly not Rafa's. We got very good money for him, for a player who's scoring record was not great and who was used sparingly towards the end of last season. Or put another way how many of them were automatic first choices? You have to sell some players, it's not like most of them dent our squad through their absence.

I think Rafa is doing what I suggested if not last season, then the season before. That is clearing a few players out, raising some cash and then seeking some quality. The worrying (other) rumour I read is we may switch our attention to Downing, another player we won't get cheap. While not all of Rafa's imports have worked, they've all been at least reasonably priced and look a lot better than some of those signed from the Premiership. I hate to think we could spend around £40m on B & K, money we can only spend the once as we'll unlikely get much of it back given their ages. I'd rather it was spent wisely rather than on the first target Rafa set his sights on.

A more detailed explanation and yes like you have said we have sold players who's depature would not hurt us much , crouch gone , we're close to bringing in robbie keane who's twice the striker that crouch will ever be , carson average at best , brought in a better shot stopper even though he cost us a little bit of money and they were free keepers available . I think rafa has been good in the transfer market so far , in terms of selling , he's gotten good deals and made a profit in all his sales so far maybe with the exception of riise , now we need to bring in some more quality
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:38 pm

Toffeehater wrote:we're close to bringing in robbie keane who's twice the striker that crouch will ever be

They are chalk and cheese. Two totally different strikers who bring different qualities to their teams.

Personally I'd still prefer the big man. I know he couldn't stay after last year and I know Rafa had to sell as he only had one season left on his contract but I'll miss the big man and so will Liverpool.

Crouchie will have a great season at Portsmouth this year, him and Defoe need to be loved and Harry will know exactly how to get the best out of them. That strikeforce will get 40 goals in the Premiership between them easily next year, possibly 50.

Don't know how Keane will do here to be honest, he is a good player but don't know how it will work with the 4-5-1 and Torres as the main man.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion