Not a dodgy keeper! - Carson

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby banana » Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:04 pm

I'm happy with how Carson looks. Yes he made an error last night. But apart from that he was solid. He looks like a potentially great goalie. He distributed the ball really well, his footwork was good, comfortable with backpasses, and he looks to have good reflexes. He is already 10 times better than slow motion Kirkland. And given the fact that Kirkland was a 6 million pound signing!!(scandalous waste of money) Carson represents great value for money.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:23 pm

Carson did well enough, he is young and looks like a better prospect to become a better 'keeper than Dudek in time. Dudek is a worse error prone 'keeper given his experience and being an international.

i still think we should sell Dudek in the summer...he's getting on and we could get a couple of million for him....then use Kirkland and Carson....if Kirkland starts getting injured again we could bring someone in during the Jan transfer window.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:48 pm

well if reports in spain are to be believed, we may well be interested in jose manuel reina, who is currently the villerreal goalkeeper. he used to be at barcelona.

http://www.servifutbol.com/noticia....verpool
Last edited by stmichael on Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:06 pm

ALL Keepers even the greatest make mistakes , 99% of the time the mistakes lead to a goal . What mystifies me is why this generates such massive debate about an individuals ability . Every week somewhere in the world of football keepers are making howlers and in the same game are making blinding saves .
The fickle world of footy ,I luv it  :D

Considering the magnitude of the match Carson put in a brilliant performance for someone of his age and experience.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:33 pm

he did make a rick in the england u-21 game against germany but that was a poor kick and, as sod`s law dictates, it fell exactly to a strikers feet after taking a freakish deflection.
i think in last nights match he anticipated a hard header and was already down when the ball reached him.
otherwise he looked very solid and held on to some powerful shots that other keepers tend to parry, and he didnt let the mishap bother him, he regained his composure straight away.
david james, once he made a mistake he was a bag of nerves for the rest of the game.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:40 pm

Yes he didn't let it bother him at all. He did somewhat puzzlingly say in interview afterwards though that he didn't think it was his fault at the time, only when he saw the replay did he realise he'd made a rick'. Definately a case of blissfull ignorance, full marks to all the other lads for not having a go at him at the time and waking him up to the fact that he'd let a soft one in.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:44 pm

bigmick wrote:waking him up to the fact that he'd let a soft one in.

Careful BigMick , the "Judge " might take that comment as an invitation .  :D   :D    :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby bigmick » Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:48 pm

I've never been a goalkeeper myself at any stage Woofa, but surely you must set out at all times with the premise that you don't want to let any in. Be they hard, soft or otherwise. :D
I don't know about our learned friend the Judge but I've never conceded one in my life and nor do I intend to thanks v.much.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:11 pm

i was a goalkeeper at my school - another of the 'advantages' of being one of the tallest in the place. its a mostly thankless position to play, as the famous quote goes - 'one mistake and you're the villain' (or something like that). thats why i find it hard to criticise goalies when they make an error.

unless, of course, its carrol, howard, lehman or almunia. or even cech if he ever bl.oody makes one!

:D

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:20 pm

Tough luck on the goal. He will put his hands up and say OK perhaps I should've save it...but remember he is only 19 and this is his biggest match of his life (and he didn't played that badly at all...)Now let's throw our support behind him and we will be rewarded in due course. I can see he is much more a long-term England prospect that Kirkland will ever be. The press are having a go at us for having dodgy keepers but I would bet you that Arsenal and ManU will be happy to have either Dudek or Kirkland in their lineup than Lehman and Carroll.

Count our blessing guys...our situation is not as bad as how the press want the rest of the country (world) to think :;):
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kenco » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:25 pm

lets be honest,carson is one for the future,he's young and it was a big ask! to put him in against a side like juve,but he also looked out of  his depth and rightly so,we all new he was a mistake waiting to happen and so it proved,the goal he let in i would expect my wife to save,it was a bad error that may well cost the club a semi final place. but with the injuries to the goal keepers above him there was no choice, he did his best but it wasn't good enough.so come on lads don't go overboard about his ability at the moment,lets just see how he developes!!!!!!!!!!!!
"This club exists to win trophies"...rafa benitez.
kenco
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby L-type » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:18 am

kenco wrote:lets be honest,carson is one for the future,he's young and it was a big ask! to put him in against a side like juve,but he also looked out of  his depth and rightly so,we all new he was a mistake waiting to happen and so it proved,the goal he let in i would expect my wife to save,it was a bad error that may well cost the club a semi final place. but with the injuries to the goal keepers above him there was no choice, he did his best but it wasn't good enough.so come on lads don't go overboard about his ability at the moment,lets just see how he developes!!!!!!!!!!!!

could your wife have stopped del piero? ****** off !
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:14 am

L-type wrote:could your wife have stopped del piero? ****** off !

on the red light? big possibilities  :D

messing kenco, i don't even know you're married or not.  :;):
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:44 am

I think Carson did extremely well for such a young lad.  I mean come on, Cech (if you believe the press reports) the best keeper in england made a mistake which led to the equaliser by bayern in their champions league match (chelsea v bayern).  One mistake doesnt make them a bad keeper.  The string of outstanding saves they pulled off however, make them a good keeper.
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion