Use stevie to fund players - Liverpool barters.........

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 76-1115222408 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:30 pm

I agree with the vast majority here that we NEED to keep Gerrard if we want to carry on the improvement under Rafa, though if he did leave i think we would STILL improve, just at a much slower pace, as we would have to find a replacement etc etc;

But in terms of the Opta stats, my own view on this is as follows - i think that when Stevie is IN the team, the other players are maybe a little scared or intimidated by the big man and are less likely to take chances or even play their 'natural' game and choose to play it nice and safe, so as not to get a 'bollocking' from the Captain, for example last season, nearly everytime that Garcia lost the ball will nilly and Stevie was in close proximity, he was lambasted !!
Over a period of time i think this would have an affect on your decision making, as you might think.....'s.hit i better not try and go past this guy in case i lose it and Stevie goes mad at me'......maybe a little far fetched some may say, but just a personal observation.

When things are going bad (at times) Stevie G's body language (especially last season!) was just abysmal and i think this would also filter through to the other players (well if i saw it, they surely must have!!) and rub off on them too.

However, at the same time, when things are going bad, he is the first person we all look to (players,fans,manager etc;) to get things moving and as somebody said above, when he does this there is nobody better....a la Olympiacos, Middlesborough (at home, top corner half volley :) ) and of course the header / run that lead to the penalty in the CL Final.

And it is for those reasons that i have just mentioned above, why we MUST keep hold of him, because he will just go and do the same for whoever would be lucky enough to sign him.

YNWA
76-1115222408

Postby dawson99 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:34 pm

i have been saying in about 27 different threads that one reason we might not have brought anyone yet is because we are waiting to see what happens with stevie, so nothing is concrete on if he stays or goes. personally i wanna keep him but we cant buy a load of players before the concrete desicion is made.

simple.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:09 pm

Stevie on the field is like having Steve Waugh in the Australian cricket side, even when he's not performing, he is still inspirational to the other teammates on the field.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:39 pm

.. Unbelievebale.. firs ppl salg him off and say.. he shud not leave ..blah blah blah..

then.. he decides to stay.. and ppl say sell him...

Unbelievable ... we should do all we can to keep him.. why? because u build teams around players like Gerrard..
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:40 pm

woof woof ! wrote:I'm fu'ckin'sick and tired of all this "is Gerrard that good and should we sell him bollox" .

EVERY Fu*king CLUB IN THE WORLD WOULD WELCOME HIM WITH OPEN ARMS IF THEY COULD AFFORD HIM  !

THATS HOW GOOD HE IS .

NOW PLEASE SHUT THE FU'CK UP .

:veryangry

:oh: my sentiments exactomondo..  :D
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:46 pm

zarababe wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:I'm fu'ckin'sick and tired of all this "is Gerrard that good and should we sell him bollox" .

EVERY Fu*king CLUB IN THE WORLD WOULD WELCOME HIM WITH OPEN ARMS IF THEY COULD AFFORD HIM  !

THATS HOW GOOD HE IS .

:oh: my sentiments exactomondo..  :D

And worth repeating .

:kungfu:

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Red Indian » Sun Jun 19, 2005 5:54 pm

The problem is that the other players rely too much on Stevie to do something when things are going wrong and more often than not he failed last season.  At times he was trying a bit too hard and i detected a lack of trust with some of his team mates when he had the ball (he often showed he was disgusted when teammates often misplaced passes etc).  The team needs to take more responsibility, only then will you see the best of Stevie G.  With better players around him (players who aren't afraid to express themselves with a winning mentality) we will see the best of Stevie G.  Stevie is the icing on the cake, plus no foreign player would ever bring what he does to the team.
Red Indian

Postby LiverpoolFan00 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:11 am

THATS HOW GOOD HE IS .

Spot on.

What kind of message would it send out if we started selling our best players. WE are a top club. We should be trying to but the best not sell. (i know we don't have enough money to buy the very best) but i'm sure you can understand what i'm getting at.

We are not a SELLING CLUB.

Stevie must stay, we will be a lesser team without him in it, i don't care what the stats say
Some people think football is a matter of life or death but it's far more important than that. - Bill Shankley

A Well Balanced Soccer Player Has A Beer In Each Hand!
LiverpoolFan00
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kaz the kopite » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:26 pm

The needs of the many, outweigh the needs of the few!
gerrard for three maybe four top class internationals in our squad is good buisness!

e.g. baraja
      aimar
      juaqin or swp
      milito
what do think? :buttrock
I am the one and only!
kaz the kopite

Postby andy_g » Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:58 pm

there is a ridiculous assumption by many people that we'd sell gerrard for £35 million and immediately get hold of aimar, baraja, swp, etc etc etc. so the assumption is that these players all suddenly become available? all at once? and all want to come to liverpool? and it all happens in the space of the transfer window? it doesn't work like Football Manager. plainly crazy.

and secondly, we just don't sell gerrard. its a crazy thing to do. there's enough good reasons been given so far so i won't repeat them.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stapo1000 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:03 pm

Stevie is one of if not the best midfielder in the world. He brought us back into the cl final single handedly not to mention his goal against olympiakos. Selling him would be like selling the soul of the club.As for the argument that his 'heart wasn't in it,' thats a load of bollox. Any player who carried a team into the champions league with world beating performances week in week out is entitled to be tired, even exhausted, while the likes of harry kewell are too busy adding to there massive bank balances by suing tv presenters.Why would we sell our inspirational captain and one of the best midfielders the clubs ever had who as a child supported this club and wants nothing more than to win trophies for THIS club? So we can by a bunch of Figos who are only in it for there 80 grand a week salaries! I dont think so :p
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:45 pm

andy_g wrote:there is a ridiculous assumption by many people that we'd sell gerrard for £35 million and immediately get hold of aimar, baraja, swp, etc etc etc. so the assumption is that these players all suddenly become available? all at once? and all want to come to liverpool? and it all happens in the space of the transfer window? it doesn't work like Football Manager. plainly crazy.

and secondly, we just don't sell gerrard. its a crazy thing to do. there's enough good reasons been given so far so i won't repeat them.

Can't disagree with any of that :nod
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stapo1000 » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:14 am

john craig wrote:
andy_g wrote:there is a ridiculous assumption by many people that we'd sell gerrard for £35 million and immediately get hold of aimar, baraja, swp, etc etc etc. so the assumption is that these players all suddenly become available? all at once? and all want to come to liverpool? and it all happens in the space of the transfer window? it doesn't work like Football Manager. plainly crazy.

Can't disagree with any of that :nod

Yes! In fact, potential new signings would be put off by the sale of gerrard:
1.It shows a lack of ambition
2.It'd no doubt guarantee a lower league position
3.Playing alongside Gerrard would be a great learning cueve and honour for any player
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:12 am

Half the reason we performed better without him in the team (occasionally), is because a lot of the other players thought they could drop their workrate, and he'd win the game by himself. He'd improve any team in the world, until the squad started coasting, waiting for him to win every game.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby banana » Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:41 am

Gerrard is a good player, but he can have a negative effect on the team. that is why we have earned more points without him. His passing may look impressive, but sometimes it is better and more deadly to play it easy and use brains instead of hitting those powerful 50 yard passes. If Gerrard doesn't sign a new contract, then he must be sold. And there are a handful of players just as good as him out there. Hleb and Riquelme for instance.
If football is banned in heaven. I'd rather go to hell.
banana
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion