The next four games –will they make or break a title push?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:06 pm

Right, we're sitting second and we’ve got the next four games coming up:

Tottenham (away)
Cardiff (home)
Man City (away)
Chelsea (away)

Now my head tells me we’ll get 7 or 8 points from this, maintaining our top 4 spot, but my heart is saying we’ll get all 12.  If we do that, then we’ll be readying ourselves for a title challenge from January onwards.  What a difference a year makes, eh?
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:23 pm

I didn't get carried away, thinking that all is lost when we got beat by Hull and I'm not going to get carried away now. I think that a title push is too much to ask for and so is 12 points from the following 4 games, especially since 3 of those are away against strong opponents. I'd be very pleased if we manage to win 7 points but I think that a realistic target should be 6 points.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:02 pm

7_Kewell » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:06 pm wrote:Right, we're sitting second and we’ve got the next four games coming up:

Tottenham (away)
Cardiff (home)
Man City (away)
Chelsea (away)

Now my head tells me we’ll get 7 or 8 points from this, maintaining our top 4 spot, but my heart is saying we’ll get all 12.  If we do that, then we’ll be readying ourselves for a title challenge from January onwards.  What a difference a year makes, eh?

I think we'll be lucky to get six points in all honesty. If we can come out of this with six or seven points, then that will put us in a really good position.

I don't expect anything from the City or Chelsea games and I think it would be naive to think we're going to take points from those games. Hopefully we can, realistically? Not sure we're that good yet.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:39 pm

talking of winning the league at this point is imo a dream.
our home form is fantastic and that certainly helps but our biggest hurdle will be keeping our best 11 fit. we dont have the squad at the moment to challenge so hopefully in january we can make at least 2 signings that will improve the first 11 and then who knows.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:44 pm

red till i die!! » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:39 pm wrote:talking of winning the league at this point is imo a dream.
our home form is fantastic and that certainly helps but our biggest hurdle will be keeping our best 11 fit. we dont have the squad at the moment to challenge so hopefully in january we can make at least 2 signings that will improve the first 11 and then who knows.

To be honest, you're questioning the squad... and I certainly am of the same opinion...

BUT... we're missing Sturridge and Enrique at present and they're two of our best players and we seem to be coping. We coped when Suarez was out earlier in the season too.

I think its far fetched to suggest we'll win it... i don't think we'll finish top 4 personally... however... things appear to moving in the right direction. We just need to sort out the transfer policy and we may be onto something.

:)
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:59 pm

city are taking everyone the cleaners at their place, they even wellied spurs 6-1 recently so it`s going to be a big ask to get anything there.
spurs away has been a bit of a bogey fixture for us lately as well, it`s one of those fixtures where anything that can go wrong usually does (like carragher breaking skrtels jaw when the two of them went for the same ball, having 2 players sent off in the first half (lucas and adam) or someone from their team firing a thunderbolt into the top corner like assou accoto (sp?) and modric)
we`ve done relatively well at stamford bridge considering how tough a place it is to go but it`s still one of the hardest places in this country to win.
if we take more than 3 points from those 3 games i`d be amazed, tonking the likes of norwich and west ham at home is one thing, going to places like the etihad and white hart lane and winning is a totally different kettle of fish altogether.
rodgers has done a great job but if we do underachieve in any area under him it`s when we come up against the other big clubs
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Santa » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:31 pm

Don't think we have the team to win the league just yet...asking Suarez to carry the team all the way till May is a big ask because we are still under performing in many areas.

But Top 4 seems to be a realistic target and at the moment, I will settle for 4th...maybe 3rd if stretched then build from there.

For the next 4 games, I see us taking 6 points...8 or more would be wonderful! But getting 6 points will show great stride that we made over the past 18 months.
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:54 pm

Stu the Red » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:44 pm wrote:
red till i die!! » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:39 pm wrote:talking of winning the league at this point is imo a dream.

To be honest, you're questioning the squad... and I certainly am of the same opinion...

BUT... we're missing Sturridge and Enrique at present and they're two of our best players and we seem to be coping. We coped when Suarez was out earlier in the season too.

I think its far fetched to suggest we'll win it... i don't think we'll finish top 4 personally... however... things appear to moving in the right direction. We just need to sort out the transfer policy and we may be onto something.

we'd have to make 2 outstanding signings to be considered even contender's imo.  sturridge and enrique are big losses and will certainly give us a boost when they return.
points wise we are going well and our position is excellent but imo a lot of that is down to how erratic chelsea, manure and city have been.
my expectation this season was a decent assault on 4th but i have been surprised with the consistency we have shown. im hoping after this start that we will make it and if we find ourselves after chrimbo still thereabouts, then 4th will be have to be the minimum target.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:02 pm

red till i die!! » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:54 pm wrote:
Stu the Red » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:44 pm wrote:

we'd have to make 2 outstanding signings to be considered even contender's imo.  sturridge and enrique are big losses and will certainly give us a boost when they return.
points wise we are going well and our position is excellent but imo a lot of that is down to how erratic chelsea, manure and city have been.
my expectation this season was a decent assault on 4th but i have been surprised with the consistency we have shown. im hoping after this start that we will make it and if we find ourselves after chrimbo still thereabouts, then 4th will be have to be the minimum target.

Come the first of January if we're still in the same position then we are in with a great shout... we'll need to strengthen the centre of midfield though, no more "ones for the future".
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby ethanr » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:11 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:59 am wrote:city are taking everyone the cleaners at their place, they even wellied spurs 6-1 recently so it`s going to be a big ask to get anything there.
spurs away has been a bit of a bogey fixture for us lately as well, it`s one of those fixtures where anything that can go wrong usually does (like carragher breaking skrtels jaw when the two of them went for the same ball, having 2 players sent off in the first half (lucas and adam) or someone from their team firing a thunderbolt into the top corner like assou accoto (sp?) and modric)
we`ve done relatively well at stamford bridge considering how tough a place it is to go but it`s still one of the hardest places in this country to win.
if we take more than 3 points from those 3 games i`d be amazed, tonking the likes of norwich and west ham at home is one thing, going to places like the etihad and white hart lane and winning is a totally different kettle of fish altogether.
rodgers has done a great job but if we do underachieve in any area under him it`s when we come up against the other big clubs

Pretty much sums it up. I think I'm pretty confident of two results- a win against Cardiff, and a loss at city. Like you've said, spurs are a bogey team and nothing goes our way in those fixtures, tho we do play well at chelsea.  I think if best comes to best we'd get 7 points from the 4, but I'm unfortunately expecting 4 or 5 max… Had to be pessimistic, but I just don't know.

No Sturridge or Enrique, and now Stevie's probably off. Not too sure.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:13 pm

if we are second in the table come the first of january we`d be in with a great shout but i think we`ll be lucky still to be in the top 4 given how tight it is, there`s just 3 points difference between us in 2nd and spurs in 6th.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:25 pm

@ stu totally agree on needing the players for now and that will be a big test for rodgers to land them.
midfield is where we are lacking and it needs to be addressed before he looks at anything else.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:53 pm

Thing is guys, the table doesn't lie.

As things stand right now, we're the 2nd best team in the league and today we played some blinding stuff. I don't fear any of the teams in the league and it has been a long time since I've been able to say that.  The fact the boss is dropping players who don't perform (Lucas is one example, but Agger before him) is a big step forward. Under Roy and Kenny, we didn't drop poor performers, they just walked into the team, week in, week out.

I honestly believe that we can get 12 from 12 in the next four games.  :buttrock
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:54 am

7_Kewell » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:53 pm wrote:Thing is guys, the table doesn't lie.

As things stand right now, we're the 2nd best team in the league and today we played some blinding stuff. I don't fear any of the teams in the league and it has been a long time since I've been able to say that.  The fact the boss is dropping players who don't perform (Lucas is one example, but Agger before him) is a big step forward. Under Roy and Kenny, we didn't drop poor performers, they just walked into the team, week in, week out.

I honestly believe that we can get 12 from 12 in the next four games.  :buttrock

The table doesn't lie after 38 games. We haven't gone anywhere yet, so to say that now is extremely naive. The acid test is the next few fixtures with City, Chelsea and Spurs away.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby laza » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:50 am

The next four games I be realisticially happy with 8 points though im not so sure they will make or break our season.

All the big teams these days are dropping points as we saw yesterday as its a fairly open season so even with 4 or 5 points from next four games may not break us
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion