Just a few questions - It is the weekend afterall

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:27 pm

These questions were asked on another Liverpool forums but it would be interesting to see what everyone on here would feel. Please answer the following questions as honestly as you can.

1. What is the minimum we should expect from an LFC player when he's on the pitch and should the minimum ever be enough?

2. In a "stormy" AGM, you are given the role as Chief Executive - but are allowed to make only one decision before you pass the reins on. What would that be?

3. How many players (honestly) do you think we are away from a first team eleven who are good enough to win the league?

4. Who is the better player; Molby or Alonso? Discuss

5. Would you be happy if Liverpool were to win the league by playing 11 men behind the ball for 85 minutes every game and then breaking away to nick 38 1-0s or do you think it's important that a Liverpool team wins well with substance according to our previous tradition and ethos?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby bigmick » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:41 pm

1. The minimum as in any sport is that the players try their best. On it's own that isn't enough if course, if you played me I'd try my best but I wasn't good enough when I was 22 and at my best so it's reasonable to assume that as I'm 40 this year and have a beer belly, my best wouldn't be enough. Effort and quality is what you need, in that order usually.
2. Contact the FA and fully pledge to be at the forefront of any campaign put together which goes towards salary capping. The possibility of winning trophies shouldn't be the preserve of two or three clubs, everybody should have a chance however slim it is.
3. We are probably two first team playrs away from having a team striong enough to challenge the best, and ultimately to win the Prem. As JBG said on a post earlier in the week, If Stevie G could be persuaded to play right-mid permanently then that figure could actually be one. Assuming Sissoko recovers please God, he would partner Alonso in the centre with Gerrard right, kewell left and E'to or somebody of similar quality up top with Crouch.
4. For me the better player is Molby. At his best he was as good a passer as Xabi and also chipped in with lots of goals. The potential is there for Alonso but Molby was an absolutely fantastic player and the Spaniard still has a little way to go IMHO.
5. I'd be happy yes but I'd always have a regret that we didn't do it playing the  right way. For a brief moment under Houllier we looked like we may be building a team but such was the paucity of our invention, the lack of any attacking ambition that it would have sullied our history and name somewhat to have won the title playing like that. If I'm honest though, I'd have taken it.   :D
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jan molby » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:49 pm

Molby
jan molby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:52 pm

1. his best
2. annouce the start date for the new stadium
3. 3/4 two strikers, a r/m and a l/b poss
4. molby  time served in a great team but he had fowards to pass too .alonso can run which i never recall seeing molby do
5. agree with mick yes i would be chuffed to bits to win, but it would it leave a bitter taste in the mouth. i never enjoyed watching us under GH when we would go 1-0 up then try to defend it with all we had.   not pretty
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby adamnbarrett » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:57 pm

These questions were asked on another Liverpool forums but it would be interesting to see what everyone on here would feel. Please answer the following questions as honestly as you can.

1. 100% effort

2. Scrap stadium plans in Stanley park and plan to expand anfield, it would cost lots more money to build a brand new stadium and therefore put the club in a perilous financial position. I wouldn't be able to risk that happening.

3. 2 a decent RW and a good striker

4. Alonso as I never saw molby play :p

5. Yes of course, if it works it works, the club is mostly about gaining success.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:59 pm

1) To give it his all for Liverpool FC. As the great Bill Shankly said about the THIS IS ANFIELD sign, "its to remind the players who there playing for". Every Liverpool player wearing that red shirt should be willing to give 110%. Carra gives it his all whether it be Chelsea or Sunderland. As the song goes, a team of Carraghers....

2) Get Rafa tied to a 20 year contract. Have it in the contract if anyone tries to take him - it would cost £100m. Rafa has worked wonders since he came to Liverpool and I believe he is vital to getting us back on top.

3)Two players away from being a title challenging team. Obviously the first position to fill is upfront, we lack any penertration upfront. Torres or Owen and we would be very dangerous. A right winger, Gerrard is great there but he is great anywhere! Gerrard is so much better in the middle and with a good right winger we would be far more equipped to win league, Joaquin would be my pick.

4) Molby was immense , but Xabi is better, Molby would stand in the centre circle and just pop balls all over the park, but Xabi can do this and is a great tackler and shooter.

5)Take 1-0 every game a win is a win.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:03 pm

a player should do his best, give his all, run for everything, never give up, you cant ask for much more than that.

as chief exec i dunno what id do to be honest. maybe unviel a new plaque deicated to a certain player or something nice like that lol

we are still a bit away from a first team, but not far. a strior two, a right winger and a cb

i think alonso will be proven to be a better player. I loved jan molby (even his later years when eh WAS the centre circle) but alonso at his age has just shown what he can do and he is a great player
(am i the only person to say alonso so far?)
id rather win with dignity than boring 1-0s for 38 games. i like the flair.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:34 pm

it's interesting to hear the differing views with regards to alonso and molby. i personally think that alonso has the potential to be an all time great at anfield but i'd still give the edge to molby at this moment in time.

xabi has greater mobility (hardly saying much) :D  but people should remember that molby used to score goals for fun.
Last edited by stmichael on Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:00 pm

1. What I want in our players is to give their all, and to play as if no situation is a lost cause. The CL final is an example to every current and future LFC player. It's a team sport, and if we've got passengers, we don't deserve to win.

Even when a player isn't playing well, I expect them to keep their heads up and graft away, and to ensure that they still do a job for the team. Gerrard's the obvious example people give for this, but to me Riise has EXACTLY the right attitude in this regard. The guy plays the same way in the last minute of a 2-0 defeat as he does in a 4-0 win.

2. Get the new stadium moving. The longer this takes, the more the club will suffer.

3. Assuming our defensive signings aren't duds, two - an attacking right midfielder and a prolific striker. We absolutely have to buy a right mid in summer.

4. It's a tricky one. I think Alonso is a wonderful player, but Molby is one of my all-time favourites. People criticise Molby for a lack of mobility, particularly in his latter years, but if you can turn games spraying passes from the centre circle, why shouldn't you?

For now, Alonso has too many anonymous games and scores too few goals. Molby scored 62 goals in 292 games for the club (including 21 in 58 games one season), and made so many more. Molby gets my vote for the time being, but ask me again in a couple of seasons.

5. It'd feel incredibly empty to win the Prem in that way. I'd prefer us to play adventurous, attractive football and be in the mix than play in such an anaemic way.

Defending is an art, and when done well is great to watch, but the most enjoyable thing about football is seeing your team score. How would you get kids excited about the sport if the best team in the country were so boring to watch? Where would the incentive be for them to get involved in the club? Also, if we spend 85 minutes out of 90 not thinking about scoring, our games would get even less TV coverage than we do now. Very few neutrals would want to watch that.
ivor_the_injun

Postby the_red_alonso » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:12 pm

1.I'd rather have a squad player who gives 100% everytime than somebody like Ronaldo who would jst stand in one part of the pitch & hope that somebody creates him a great ball.
2.I'd definitely go on & give the club a new stadium if it is financialy possible.
Atleast 4 players are needed still of which 2 players-Palleta & Gonzalez have been secured.So the remaining 2 must be top class -a striker(Kuyt/Torres/Owen/Klose-is he good?),a winger right-3.Joaquin/Malbranque/actually i cant see where can we get good wingers though)
4.Never watched Molby,Alonso is a good player but he's got to go a long way before he establishes himself as a legend.
5.38 1-0's ,well I dont think that with the addition of 2/3 top players we'll be a 1-0 sort of team but then 38 clean-sheets in a row is an achievement after all.
the_red_alonso
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:14 pm

nice thread.

1. 100% effort for the whole duration of the game. never giving up.

2. promise rafael benitez that he will be supported in whatever way he wishes to fulfil his plans for the club, for however long he wants to stay. then threaten to blackmail him if he even thinks about leaving.

3. one. but he would have to be a top class striker who can play 40 games a season without getting tired or injured.

4. overall molby as xabi is a little inconsistent at times. but comparing the two at their very best i'd have to go for xabi.

5. i'd take it but i'd demand we successfully defended it with beautiful football the following season.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:57 pm

stmichael wrote:These questions were asked on another Liverpool forums but it would be interesting to see what everyone on here would feel. Please answer the following questions as honestly as you can.

1. What is the minimum we should expect from an LFC player when he's on the pitch and should the minimum ever be enough?

2. In a "stormy" AGM, you are given the role as Chief Executive - but are allowed to make only one decision before you pass the reins on. What would that be?

3. How many players (honestly) do you think we are away from a first team eleven who are good enough to win the league?

5. Would you be happy if Liverpool were to win the league by playing 11 men behind the ball for 85 minutes every game and then breaking away to nick 38 1-0s or do you think it's important that a Liverpool team wins well with substance according to our previous tradition and ethos?

1.  100% effort goes without question but that's not enough, you get 100% effort from players in the amateur leagues ffs.  Obviously you have to be an above average player who is reasonably consistent to be playing at Liverpool.  I expect them to conduct themselves properly, that means no play-acting (like Robben), no acting the tw@t (Neville) and no play-boy lifestyles (half our team in the mid-90s spice boys era).

2.  Make the right decision on where our inevitable investment comes from.  If we don't get this and the new stadium sorted soon we're going to regret it.

3.  1 player away from having a good enough 1st 11 - a top striker.  Unfortunately it's a squad game these days and I think we're about 4 players away.  Really we need 2 strikers, a right winger and a centre mid to take over from Hamann next season as back-up.  I suggest Nolan from Bolton.

4.  Alonso.  Molby was class but Alonso offers much more defensively to the team, a better all-round midfielder.

5.  Right now I'd take that, win the league doing that and build it from there.  But I wouldn't be up for that every season, at the end of the day we all got into football because it's enjoyable to play and to watch, take the fun out of it and it becomes a chore.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RichardLFC1 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:04 pm

stmichael wrote:These questions were asked on another Liverpool forums but it would be interesting to see what everyone on here would feel. Please answer the following questions as honestly as you can.

1.I think every player should put 100% in the game.
2.pass.
3. I think with the team we have now we are good enough, maybe 1 a right winger.
4.Only 16 so i havent seen molby really,dont think i can answer that.
5 I like liverpool entertaining me but if we draw games we should win i no id think to myself wish we just sat back and nick a late one.

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby Gareth G » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:30 pm

1. For the player to give it his best and work hard for those around him.

2. To find some kind of solution to build the new stadium on the same spot as our current one.

3. I think we are about two player's short of a team capable of mounting a good challenge for the Premiership.

4. I've not seen much of Molby since he was a little before my time, but from what I have seen I'd give him the edge over Alonso at present. However, I think Alonso has the capacity to be a better player than Molby.

5. I would accept it, but I can't say I'd be happy watching it.
Gareth G
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mikz » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:19 pm

1.  every player chosen to don the red shirt should give  110%, whether they are up to standard or not isnt their fault.

2. Looking for solid investment would be my priorty.

3. Id say 3 top class signings would improve the team immensely, just like when Dalglish brought in Barnes/Beardsley etc Id say we are good enough under normal circumstances to win the premiership,ahead of the old big 2-but the chelsea scenario -with all that money isnt easily conquered.
4.Id say Molby , such vision Ive never seen the like of him, and he was a rock, players just bounced off him..he played in a very good and settled team and I think Alonso can be as good in a few years.

5. Accept it of course. Success first method second.
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion