THE OPTIMISM THREAD - things aint so bad afterall

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby RedRoots » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:05 am

I know what you meant Wooly, I suppose it is an optimism thread so fook it i'll join in! Josemi has been showing signs of a young Paolo Maldini! :laugh:
RedRoots

Postby red37 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:07 am

RedRoots wrote:I know what you meant Wooly, I suppose it is an optimism thread so fook it i'll join in! Josemi has been showing signs of a young Paolo Maldini! :laugh:

=================================

:laugh:  :laugh:

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby kopite_1232002 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:08 am

am happy with the team we have got now. would ov been happy to see a few new faces, maby it will be announced 2 moz that we have signed new players. but teams have improved 2 day and thats not good 4 lfc.

sky sport news is doin me hed in owen owen owen owen
kopite_1232002

Postby stoney » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:11 am

zenden will become the ultimate wing wizard starting from our next match. :laugh:  :buttrock  :buttrock
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:13 am

RedRoots wrote:I know what you meant Wooly, I suppose it is an optimism thread so fook it i'll join in! Josemi has been showing signs of a young Paolo Maldini! :laugh:

let's not get carried away now eh?  :D
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:14 am

RedRoots wrote:I suppose it is an optimism thread so fook it i'll join in! Josemi has been showing signs of a young Paolo Maldini! :laugh:

yeah, paolo maldini at the age of three  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby RedorDead » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:17 am

I put this on another thread before reading this one and think it actually belongs here:

The transfer window is a new concept and while from a footballing point of view it makes a lot of sense I personally hate how the fans have pounced on deadline day as a measure of their club is doing.
I look at our club and see how after a terrible league season dominated by injuries we still finished 5th, I see how we narrowly lost the league cup final to the best team in the country, I see how we won the European Cup against AC Milan beating Chelsea  and Juventus over two legs in earlier rounds. I see that we won the European Super Cup this past week and have made an unbeaten start to the premiership season. I see how we have sailed through the European Cup qualifying rounds and are in a tough group but remain odds on to qualify for the latter stages again.

I see all this and I am happy and hopeful and proud. I do not look at our spending, I do not look at other clubs and see that they've bought X amount of players but we've only bought Y amount. I think our squad is in very good shape, well balanced, plenty of options in most areas and while I agree a centre back would have been nice I would never say that this has been a "sad day" for our club. A sad day for our club was Heissel, a sad day for the club was Hillsborough, losing to Wimbledon in the 88 FA Cup Final or losing the league in 89 were sad days. People need to get some perspective. Rant over.
L - I - V.....E - R - P.......Double O - L....Liverpool F C!!!!!
RedorDead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:18 am

RedorDead wrote:I put this on another thread before reading this one and think it actually belongs here:

The transfer window is a new concept and while from a footballing point of view it makes a lot of sense I personally hate how the fans have pounced on deadline day as a measure of their club is doing.
I look at our club and see how after a terrible league season dominated by injuries we still finished 5th, I see how we narrowly lost the league cup final to the best team in the country, I see how we won the European Cup against AC Milan beating Chelsea  and Juventus over two legs in earlier rounds. I see that we won the European Super Cup this past week and have made an unbeaten start to the premiership season. I see how we have sailed through the European Cup qualifying rounds and are in a tough group but remain odds on to qualify for the latter stages again.

I see all this and I am happy and hopeful and proud. I do not look at our spending, I do not look at other clubs and see that they've bought X amount of players but we've only bought Y amount. I think our squad is in very good shape, well balanced, plenty of options in most areas and while I agree a centre back would have been nice I would never say that this has been a "sad day" for our club. A sad day for our club was Heissel, a sad day for the club was Hillsborough, losing to Wimbledon in the 88 FA Cup Final or losing the league in 89 were sad days. People need to get some perspective. Rant over.

:bowdown  :bowdown  :bowdown
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby BOODIDDY » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:22 am

things are about as low as you can get so shove your optimism. We are the Champions Of Europe and what do the board do? Expect rafa to perform another miracle?  It ain't happening! Spurs will get fourth and we will be fighting for fifth with everton bolton etc. One step forward two back.

Our transfer policy is probably the worst in the world when have we ever got a good deal off anybody. Probably only dalglish all them years ago. Macca zero, redknapp zero owen 8m collymore 8.5m diao 5m need i say more. We aint ruthless and have once again failed to capitilise on our position in world football. Utter :censored:
BOODIDDY
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:24 am

another ridiculous assumption is the one that goes "benitez left it to the last minute to try and sign anyone...". hhmmm... how long ago did we start with the figo saga, let alone the plethora of defenders we've been linked with?

the manager has been busy throughout the transfer window and actually brought in some excellent players very early on - reina, sissoko, gonzalez etc. he has also removed a good deal of dead wood.

the team is stronger, more balance, has more depth. the fact that we didn't make a superstar signing is in many ways a good thing. benitez is a man who looks at a players true qualities rather than their reputation and in this way builds a good squad.

besides - january's just around the corner, so we can soon have fun with crazy ideas agin.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby matrix » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:26 am

good points folks yes the last few days have been a little grey  but lets all get together and suport the best team in the land  and the best coach in the land   at least rafa will have a bit extra in his pot for january  :D

matrix
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:27 am

The plan for the future as I see it.

Start the new stadium. Sell Diao rather than loaning him continually. Same with Cheyrou. Find a way of actually making some money from winning the CL other than one DVD release and a cr*p footy top (remember Utd's effort in 1999 - all that junk that sold well). Get Bambi some less gangly legs. Buy two pairs so Lurch won't get jealous. Cut off Josemi's legs altogether, it won't make him any slower and he might commit less fouls. Ask Carra to stop inhaling helium before every TV interview. Ask Gerrard to start inhaling 'anything' to make him smile sometimes. Find a TV interviewer who doesn't string together about 40 sentences of complex (for a football pundit) words when asking Rafa a question, forcing Rafa to smile and say 'we did a good game and is important for us to score in these games'. Laugh some more at Owen ending up in Newcastle. Laugh at Everton regardless. And so much more ...  :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby kingofthegreen » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:28 am

Hey, we were all sh1ttin one that CISSE was gonna leave last week, at least he's stayin now!?! :(  ???  :)

till the next window that is......... :oops:

Image  Image
kingofthegreen

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:29 am

I am really down.

I really thought that we were 2 good first team players short of having a squad that would almost gurantee us 4th spot, and at least half the points gap with the leaders, we really needed those players.

But I do agree with Rafa policy, if we cant get what were looking for at a price that is accaptable then we wont sign. There is no point getting riped off and then rueing it later.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedRoots » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:48 am

Even £1.5m for Solano would have been a good deal or £2m for van der meyde we've been shown up by Barcodes and Bitters not to mention Benfica, BOLLOX. Now for some optimism, my aunties fella's local chip shop owner has said Darren Potter is better than Kaka and was only playin sh1t because of a bet with his mates!

The bet was that if he managed to get a one year extension on the two years left on his current deal after playin that sh1t he wins a tenner, he won and now set to excite and dazzle the footballing world with an amazing display of Kakaesque brilliance on the 10th against Spurs.
RedRoots

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion