The match today - And what i think about it

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:57 pm

Redrider wrote:With respect to the time point, Rafa would be negligent in his duties as a manager if he was not concerned by the lack of goals and more importantly by the obvious disjointed nature of the strike partnership.

it's not as big a concern when goals are coming from other areas of the pitch. as long as we are winning games, i couldn't give a monkeys where the goals come from.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Redrider » Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:54 pm

Stmick, Yes fine, but I am concerned with the lack of goals in key games that we have not won:
Bolton, Manu, Chelsea, Olympicos and Deportivo.
Points also thrown away against Spurs !! Principally because we were impotent up front.
We do not have sufficient strength and time to carry a mis-firing strike partnership for too long, either they improve or Rafa will need to change the partnership.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:58 pm

the front two will never score the goals that they are capable of whilst the supply is so poor. we play with no width. the wide players come inwards. we also don't get in behind teams often enough. it's ok cisse and baros running the channels but then there's nobody in the penalty area. we still rely too much on splitting the defence open through the middle with a killer ball.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:30 pm

stmichael wrote:
kindaconfused wrote:Good win, but still concerns re forwards (sorry StMichael but you have it round yer ar*e). Cisse drifts to the right when going get tough and then when 2 goals up comes back into the centre.

Poor corners and throw ins considering the possession we struggled to score and against better opposition it will tell.

Not wanting to detract the defence and mid field played well (think Riise is out of position...yeh yeh I know he scored fellas but he didn't look comfortable).

Considering the amount of possession attack is still a problem when we have a £14m who sits on his ****** in the centre spot.

But lets get things into perspective here. For a so called unblossoming partnership between them they have scored 7 goals which isnt a bad return. I mean 24 million pounds worth of Drogba has scored only two goals, and United top scorer until yesterday was Silvestre with two. So when you look at it on the whole we aint doing to bad, not to mention the more widespread portion of the side thats scoring also from outfield play, we are more a team now, under GH in his final seasons we relied on Owen to deliver and we got usually 20 odd goals, but we didnt get goals from elsewhere.

I think these guys just need to be left alone to get on and play, and people need to stop over analysing. I was sitting in front of two lads behind me who lambasted Cisse at every touch, even when he hit the post they couldnt say anything good about them, it p#sses me off, we put up with Heskey for years without any real product yet we are unprepared to give the guy a chance. Similarly Baros who is accused of not looking up for others - so f#cking what? He's dangerous, defences sh#t themselves, we need selfish strikers, yeah he missed a few chances on saturday but on another day he bags a hat-trick, and anyway i can mention a few other players who could pass but opt to go it alone.

Just hope everyone and its not all mind to stop getting on them - i think they will do fine. Thats not to say we dont need to buy another striker because i think we need a target man but i think under the circumstances these two are doing ok.

very well said
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:38 pm

stmichael wrote:the front two will never score the goals that they are capable of whilst the supply is so poor. we play with no width. the wide players come inwards. we also don't get in behind teams often enough. it's ok cisse and baros running the channels but then there's nobody in the penalty area. we still rely too much on splitting the defence open through the middle with a killer ball.

The way Cisse and Baros play, I don't see either of those two lad's benefitting from crosses coming from wide play. They both look better on quick through balls.
If we had more wide play we would definitely need a better man in the box than either Cisse or Baros. From your clips Mista looked good, scoring off both feet and with his head.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby 72-1090627431 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:32 pm

Risse has got no right foot

Baros isnt as clinical as Owen (sorry to say)

Benitez should not have had to sign Cisse in the summer as he was a Houllier buy, so LFc should not have gone ahead with the deal.

Risse should spend a whole week in training trying to kick a ball with his right foot.
72-1090627431

Postby A.B. » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:26 pm

stmichael wrote:
Redrider wrote:With respect to the time point, Rafa would be negligent in his duties as a manager if he was not concerned by the lack of goals and more importantly by the obvious disjointed nature of the strike partnership.

it's not as big a concern when goals are coming from other areas of the pitch. as long as we are winning games, i couldn't give a monkeys where the goals come from.

Finaly someone feels the same way about this situation.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion