Match report for today... - As usual :)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:41 pm

Dudek - 6. Nothing to do all game really. Made a good stop form a cross and distributed the ball well but that was all. Didn't do anything wrong.

Finnan - 7. I've been saying for a while now i think we have one of the best right backs in the league. I don't think he's as good as Babbel was but he's different and a quality player. Good passer, reads the game well and his technique is excellent. Good game today.

Carragher - 7. Not much to do really but what he done he done aswell as ever. One of his worst games of the season as he made 1 mistake with a mistimed header. Says it all for me. Player of the season? Gets my vote!!!

Hyypia - 7. Done well, nothing to rash, made some excellent challenges and won all his headers again. Still a massive pressence with class even though we need someone different now, the player we bring in to replace him must be AT LEAST as good if not better.

Traore - 5. Moved up and down the pitch well enough but his passing was very poor today. Gave the ball away to much and wasn't on top of his game defensively. Very average display. Still he done enough so i can't be overly critical.

Nunez - 6. Shown today he has ability. His touches and technique throughout were good and he had a go in terms of effort and determination. Didn't hide after a bad tackle earlier in the game. I've still yet to see him do something special but he shown today he can AT LEAST become a decent squad player. His best game so far lets hope he continues the improvement.

Hamann - 6. Done nothing really of note but broke up attacks and sent us on our way every time we got the ball. Was very effective as usual and can't fault him. Nothing spectacular, but solid. Well done.

Gerrard - 7. Cracking goal and dictated the pace of the game. Passed the ball well (most of the time) and won some good tackles. Didn't really get out of second gear, great goal too.

Riise - 8. M.O.M. just ahead of Sinama-Pongolle. Plenty of attempts, most of them good, two great goals and ran his ****** off. Was a threat all game and linked up well with other players. Totally solid and his best game of the season.

Baros - 6. Ran his balls off but it didn't go his way. Lost a bit form recently but thats probably down to his fitness, still caused problems and done enough. He's definately becoming less selfish which is the first sign he's improving his game intelligence. The less selfish he becomes the better his awareness and vision will become.

Sinama-Pongolle - 7. Scored a good goal which he worked well and created. Ran his balls off and shown great skill. Clearly a good prospect, we're starting to see why Houllier signed the lad now and i like the way he holds the ball up, not with strength, but with a turn or a clever touch. Has good awareness and creativety but doesn't always use it, this will come with games, faded at the end but was close to man of the match. Good game, keeps improving.

Subs:

Alonso - 7. Took over where Gerrard left off and controlled the pace of the game.

Garcia - 7. Scored and looked lively again and confident.

Warnock - 6. Done ok, didn't have much to do but shown his aggression and commitment and thats always pleasing. Didn't have enough time to make an impact but i'm loving his attitude.

Benitez - 6. Didn't like the fact he dropped Kewell as he's coming into form, didn't like the fact Mellor wasn't on the bench either. I thought they were poor decisions. However we won so he obviously got it mostly right. I still think he's the right man for the job however, he just needs this season to learn.

West Brom - 3. Worst side i've seen in the premier league over the last few seasons. Abysmal. They were up for it for 20 minutes then they just lost it. 20th place for them i'm affraid.

My evaluation:

Embarrisingly easy. Nothing to get over confident about but we beat what was infront of us. I just hope it doesn't overload the players confidence, we won't get another game that easy this season including Watford. I hope they take the right positives out of the match.

We didn't get out of second gear and won 5-0. Shocking!!!
Last edited by 115-1073096938 on Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
115-1073096938

Postby Ciggy » Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:43 pm

Mellor has the flu and Kewell has a slight injury.
Thats why they wernt on the bench stu :D
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:44 pm

And?

:D

Fair do's, i didn't hear that news.

Still i'd have played Warnock ahead of Traore and wouldn't have ever put Diao on the bench.
115-1073096938

Postby andy_g » Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:45 pm

my god stu - i nearly agree with you :D

i thinkk nunez had a really good game today. he worked very hard and got a fair few good balls into the box. he's looking stronger and more up for the prem pace aswell - he didn't get pushed off the ball much today like he has been doing.

i also thought baros showed a bit more vision than usual and played other people in.

benitez dropped kewell coz he's injured. don't know how or what, but there you go... and mellor has flu

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:49 pm

lol on the radio this morning they said mellor has been in bed  all over xmas with the flu poor sod, hope it is only the flu and not somthing(someone) he picked from that gay club .lol
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFCFan4Life » Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:04 pm

Stu before you give Rafa a 6 you should check why players don't play. Kewell had a groin strain and Mellor is down with the flu. But good post overall.
You'll Never Walk Alone drummerphil
LFCFan4Life
LFC Super Member

Postby andy_g » Sun Dec 26, 2004 11:15 pm

before the game, judging by the team selection (and not knowing about kewell and mellor) i'd have probably given him 6 or less. but in the end, with the benefit of hindsight, i think he judged the game perfectly.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby L-type » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:32 am

yeah you really have to give props to benitez, he really worked the game perfect. 

When i saw that Kewell and Mellor were out i was worried that he may screw it up like he did with the derby, but he made all the correct substitutions and right moves.  He gave everyone the oppurtunity to shine in their position against a team that is in shambles, hopefully we can continue to build up our confidence and hopefully give chelsea a run for their money. I kno we can't win the premiership, i never expected us too but lets give Arsenal a hand and tie up those rich ****** fockers in London and overtake borough in the process..
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:01 am

Riise did very well for a player who prefers to play Left back, but he plyaed bettern on the wing than Kewell has all season.
Would like to see him play thier again, but am unsure whether Traore could cut it againt Chelsea? as you said his passing was poor and gave the ball away a bit too mcuh, this is ok againt a rubbish West Brom side (which they were yesterday), but against helsea and the likes they will punish us.

Sinama was excellent, what a great prospect he is for the future - looks really dangeroyus whwn on the ball and took his goal superbly.

Good performance overall, nice to get a big 5-0 victory, but West Brom's performance was the worst I have seen in the PL this season, 3 is generous Stu. :D
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:06 am

Good post Stu... but Benitez - 6 :O
Last edited by zarababe on Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:11 am

LFC #1 wrote:Riise did very well for a player who prefers to play Left back, but he plyaed bettern on the wing than Kewell has all season.
Would like to see him play thier again, but am unsure whether Traore could cut it againt Chelsea? as you said his passing was poor and gave the ball away a bit too mcuh, this is ok againt a rubbish West Brom side (which they were yesterday), but against helsea and the likes they will punish us.

Sinama was excellent, what a great prospect he is for the future - looks really dangeroyus whwn on the ball and took his goal superbly.

Good performance overall, nice to get a big 5-0 victory, but West Brom's performance was the worst I have seen in the PL this season, 3 is generous Stu. :D

Riise was helped by the fact that their RB was sent off. He was completly unmarked for most of the match. No-one seemed to cover for Contra at all.

In defensive terms I think Traore is as capable as Riise. He seems to put in more goal-saving tackles as well. I think everyone's slightly apprehensive at the thought of Duffer and Robben attacking our defence which has been too easy to open up this season. I imagine we'll have to play a 4-5-1 to try and shut them down, but saying that we're likely to play a 4-4-2 tomorrow for the third game in a row.

I think I'd up Nunez to a 7. His control yesterday was superb and he's starting to go past players.

Agree that 3 for West Brom is too generous. They were truly awful and have a mountain to climb to avoid relegation.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFCFan4Life » Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:44 am

LFC #1 wrote:Riise did very well for a player who prefers to play Left back, but he plyaed bettern on the wing than Kewell has all season.

Remember the last time we played Chelsea? Traore was horrid and I don't expect him to play against Chelsea because the only reason he started against WBA is because Kewell was injured and Riise had to take Harry's place. Both Kewell and Mellor are expected to start tomorrow.
You'll Never Walk Alone drummerphil
LFCFan4Life
LFC Super Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion