The left back situation... - ...an old problem

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby damjan193 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:08 pm

What if we get that kid from CSKA, Schevenikov or something.He's about 17 though (I think), and prommises to be a great player, so how much would he cost?Maybu we should get him and sell or loan Insua (id loan him) for next year.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:18 pm

Rimetto_ wrote:in my opionion that's part of the problem we have with rafa - he's to quick to snap up youngsters from abroad but can you remember him paying money on home grown talent?

He has bought English and been stung to varying degrees in the past. What English/British/Irish player has shone at Anfield (without question) since Rafa got here that isn't Carra or Gerrard? ie wasn't established before Rafa came.

Carson
Keane £20.3m
Pennant £6.7m
Martin
Bellamy £6m
Crouch £7m
Johnson £17.5m
Anderson
Hobbs

Some of the prices you can pay just for being British/English/Irish are laughable, it's not really a surprise Rafa shopped abroad. How much did Lescott, Barry etc cost Citeh? I said quite some time ago you can add 50% to the fee that a foreign player would cost simply for a player being British. I stand by that rule of thumb which stands most tests.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:29 pm

Owzat wrote:Carson
Keane £20.3m
Pennant £6.7m
Martin
Bellamy £6m
Crouch £7m
Johnson £17.5m
Anderson
Hobbs

I know what you are saying but if you look at your list most of them are better than what we currently have in our squad.

Carson is a good keeper.. it just so happens we have the best GK in the world

Keane never got a chance

Pennant - didnt get much of a chance either but his attitude was :censored:

Bellamy - better than Ngog

Crouch - better than Ngog

Johnson - Expensive but a great player

Anderson - Never given a chance

Hobbs - Never given a chance

We have missed out on a few players who where not even that expensive eg Milner..  I think you do need a core of British players to win the Premiership.. but more importantly you need a manager who is prepared to put out a team that is set up to win games rather than not lose them.

Rafa has many failings but for me his 2 biggest are man management and being far too defensive.. his poor record in buying players is a bit further down the list!
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby Owzat » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:48 pm

Can't say as I agree with all your assertions, Carson was too ropey and still makes too many mistakes. N'Gog may not be as good as Bellamy or Crouch but he's still a few years to achieve their level of mediocrity. Johnson is a "great player" who is weak(er) defensively which is kinda important for a RB to be in order to be considered great. As for the cheaper ones who "never got a chance", they weren't good enough is why and while they weren't expensive, can you say they were/are better than their foreign alternatives/counterparts?

Would we be a much better side if we had paid over the odds for Milner, Barry etc? Probably not, I think Keane was a stupid move and I can't believe Rafa signed him at the age at that price and that ordinary. Good to see he's found his level at Celtic, he may not have been given a long run at it but his attitude wasn't good and he missed more chances in half a season than a lot of strikers miss in two
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:59 pm

Owzat wrote:Would we be a much better side if we had paid over the odds for Milner, Barry etc? Probably not,

i think yes.

Barry was cheaper than Aquilani.

Milner was the same price as babel and only a couple of mil more than reira / kuyt. 

both would have improved us.

Future N'Gog may or may not be as good as Bellamy or Crouch. Impossible to tell at the moment, but those two internationals that we sold would certainly have bagged us more goals this season
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:05 pm

Redman in wales wrote:
Owzat wrote:Would we be a much better side if we had paid over the odds for Milner, Barry etc? Probably not,

i think yes.

Milner was the same price as babel and only a couple of mil more than reira / kuyt. 

Future N'Gog may or may not be as good as Bellamy or Crouch. Impossible to tell at the moment, but those two internationals that we sold would certainly have bagged us more goals this season

We tried to get Barry but in the end i think 18 million was way too much for him .
Benny The Noon

Postby Fauxy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:23 pm

We are being linked with a Serbian Left Back called Aleksandar Kolarov.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_6078761,00.html
Fauxy

Postby Redman in wales » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:31 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:We tried to get Barry but in the end i think 18 million was way too much for him .

i agree that £18m maybe too much for barry if you evaluate the player alone. but its all relative...

£18m for barry
£20m for aquilani.
£20m keane

I'd take barry.
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:30 pm

I'd go for Agger and Skrtel in the middle, but I just don't rate Insua. His positioning is terrible.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:40 pm

Redman in wales wrote:
Benny The Noon wrote:We tried to get Barry but in the end i think 18 million was way too much for him .

i agree that £18m maybe too much for barry if you evaluate the player alone. but its all relative...

£18m for barry
£20m for aquilani.
£20m keane

I'd take barry.

In this case you can choose your relatives...............  :D

I would take none of the above, if asked if you would rather eat a black man's shit, a white man's shit or dogshit then I and most would say "none, feck off". It doesn't have to be either/or
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:43 pm

Redman in wales wrote:

i think yes.

I could agree Milner might have improved us, but I didn't say better I said "much better" and we don't look a massively better side even with Torres in the side so one player, no matter how good, doesn't always make that much of a difference. Barry is a good player, but nothing that special. Given a choice I'd rather have kept Alonso

Barry only cost citeh £12m, was it the leprechaun trying his Heskey-luck again or did Barry suddenly lose 1/3 of his value in 12 months?!?!?!
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby rocky29 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:02 pm

the best left back for me is fabio grosso. Dont know how old he is but what a player anyone know who hes playing for now?
rocky29
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:03 pm

Insua is undoubtedly being targeted by other teams as a weakness, and some of it's down to him. However it doesn't help that we don't have a regular left sided midfield player.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Fauxy » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:03 pm

fabio grosso is a good player but he's too old... 32. I think he plays for Lazio or something?
Fauxy

Postby Redman in wales » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:37 pm

Owzat wrote:
Redman in wales wrote:

£18m for barry
£20m for aquilani.
£20m keane

I'd take barry.

In this case you can choose your relatives...............  :D

I would take none of the above, if asked if you would rather eat a black man's shit, a white man's shit or dogshit then I and most would say "none, feck off". It doesn't have to be either/or

i didnt choose the relatives though.. rafa chose them.

we do agree in the fact that neither of us would have any of them and would get someone in who's actually worth £20m...

but thats not what rafa did
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion