Sunderland, cska sofia, cska moscow - 3 games in 6 days

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby MilitiaRusher » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:58 am

It is going to be a busy schedule come next week and about time the depth of our team is geniunely tested. Fortunately we had just about sealed up the 3rd Qualifying Round tie in the 1st leg against CSKA Sofia which could only be positive. In my opinion, it is crucial we rotate our squad effectively during these 3 games to come up with right results. We would need to prioritise and field a relatively stronger team in the Sunderland game and to a certain extent the CSKA Moscow game. Assuming the likes of Traore, Josemi, Crouch, Mellor, Sinama Pongolle, Kewell, Dudek are still unavailable due to injury, these would be my lineup for the 3 games.

Sunderland game:

Reina

Finnan  Carragher  Hyypia  Riise

Garcia  Gerrard  Alonso  Zenden

Baros  Cisse

SUBS: Carson, Morientes, Sissoko, Whitbread, Potter.

CSKA Sofia game:

Carson

Finnan  Whitbread  Carragher  Warnock

Potter  Sissoko  Hamann  Riise

Garcia  Morientes

SUBS: Reina, Gerrard, Cisse, Zenden, Barragan, Baros, Hyypia.

CSKA Moscow game:

Reina

Finnan  Hyypia  Carragher  Warnock

Garcia  Gerrard  Alonso  Zenden

Morientes  Cisse

SUBS: Carson, Potter, Baros, Riise, Whitbread, Sissoko, Hamann.

Note: UEFA games allow 7 substitutes.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:08 pm

i am sure rafa will play a few reserves against CSKA sofia..... So we should be ok to win the european supercup  :bowdown ..... Our 1st (and deffo not the last trophy of 2005/2006 season).
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:15 pm

These are 3 games we should be expected to win, so I'm sure the squad will be rotated a lot.

We'll put out our strongest team against Sunderland as we need 3 points on the board in the league.  For the other games we'll change it around a bit.

I'd expect Gerrard, Alonso, Hyypia and Carragher each to be rested for one of the 3 games.  The strikers will be rotated as usual.  I'd expect Whitbread to play a part, but not Potter, he didn't exactly look great against TNS or Kaunas and I'm not sure Rafa will trust him against better opposition yet.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:06 pm

the champions league 2nd leg is all but won....obviously Rafa won't be foolish, but i expect to see Gerrard, Alonso and Hypia to be rested for it.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Luis Garcia » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:00 am

7_Kewell wrote:the champions league 2nd leg is all but won....obviously Rafa won't be foolish, but i expect to see Gerrard, Alonso and Hypia to be rested for it.

he'd better not, ive got a ticket
Luis Garcia

Postby XSD » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:47 am

Sunderland seem the most important, only an unbelievable cockup could take the sofia game away from us. The super cup is a nice thing to win but has to be very low priority when we have such a busy schedule.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jammydodger » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:17 am

I think you are wrongly underestimating CSKA Sofia..

They did win the UEFA cup ??? and are also owned by Roman Abramovich.. so they also have an unlimited supply of money... Strongest XI will HAVE TO be fielded to ensure victory
jammydodger

Postby stoney » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:28 am

CSkA sofia are not owned by abramovich :p
stoney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jammydodger » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:34 am

Hehe, you know what i meant!
jammydodger

Postby Judge » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:35 am

hopefully the cl game will be more of a stroll. however, as we know stevie g dont like watching matches, he likes to play'em. so perhaps rafa may not rest him for that one. we will see
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Garymac » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:40 am

I expect to win all 3, although Cska Moskow will provided stern opposition, they beat a fantastic Sporting team to win the UEFA cup and Sporting was on home soil. Sunderland, saw them at the weekend and there back line is nothing short of dreadful in fact you can say that for there team, but scoring early will be the key, against Charlton they played attacking and got caught out cos they were eager to impress a home crowd on the opening day, against us i dont think they will come out there own half, and it will be a test to see how good we are at breaking this sort of team down, as many more teams will perform this way at Anfield this season, in fact Boro didnt even attack us and they were at Home. An early goal could see a thrashing, but if we dont score early it could easily become frustrating. Sofia is pretty much done and dusted and there will probably plenty of rested legs there (probably full debut for Barragan as well). And we can look forward to Friday then and hopefully lift are 1st trophy of the season in what should be a really entertaining game.
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby liverpoolrich » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:49 am

I WOULD LIKE TO SEE Hobbs AND ANTWI
START AGAINST SUNDERLAND AND ALSO RISSE TO SATR AGAINST MOSKOW INSTEAD OF WARNOCK
image/jpeg
liverpoolrich

Postby Garymac » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:56 am

Its a bit of chance isnt it putting 2 17 year olds in for are 1st home game and dropping Sami and Carra
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby H_K_LFC » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:58 am

Rafa knows wot hes doin.Am sure we'll win the nxt 3 games easily
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby liverpoolrich » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:58 am

Garymac wrote:Its a bit of chance isnt it putting 2 17 year olds in for are 1st home game and dropping Sami and Carra

NOT DROPPING RESTING they played against everton yesterday and it sounds like they played well
image/jpeg
liverpoolrich

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion