LIVERPOOL VS CSKA MOSCOW  ( super cup final) - All related

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red37 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:23 am

CSKA MOSCOW V LIVERPOOL

Friday 26 August 2005 19:45 

Liverpool are in Monaco chasing their second trophy of 2005 when they face UEFA Cup winners CSKA Moscow in the Super Cup Final.

Liverpool last won the Super Cup in 2001 when the Reds beat Bayern Munich 3-2 in Monaco.

Liverpool also won it in 1977 when they beat SV Hamburg with a certain Kevin Keegan in the Germans team 7-1 on aggregate.

Liverpool have also lost in two Super Cup Finals, 2-0 to Juventus in 1985 and 4-3 on aggregate to Anderlecht in 1978.

This will be Liverpool's third final of 2005 under Rafael Benitez after the Carling Cup Final and Champions League Final.

CSKA Moscow won the UEFA Cup last season beating Sporting Lisbon of Portugal 3-1. Ahead of the Liverpool game the Russian side have suffered a blow because star striker Ivica Olic is ruled out through injury.

will master tactician rafa triumph again?..........bring it on
:buttrock

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby siti_zaiton1982 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:21 pm

hopefully,we'll win that one.awesome isn't it to see the lads lift the cup once again  :bowdown
siti_zaiton1982
LFC Super Member

Postby NiftyNeil » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:46 pm

I thought this cup was an absolute banker this time last week. But after lacklustre performances against Sunderland and Sofia, I'm not so sure.
I'm not being negative, I'm just being realistic. After the cup final in may, and plenty of good performances through the summer (with plenty of goals), the last two games have brought me back down to earth. They have also reminded me of how poor we were at times last season. (remember Crystal Palace)
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fernando Morientes > 19 < » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:54 pm

I'm quite confident that we'll win it.
"He is the player that Liverpool have been looking for." - Ian Rush
Fernando Morientes > 19 <
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:41 pm

Benitez: Winning this one matters Aug 25 2005

By Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL boss Rafa Benitez today defended his decision to rest the big guns in midweek and save them for tomorrow's Super Cup Final, insisting 'winning trophies will always be my first priority'.

The Reds endured an anxious night against Sofia in midweek as Benitez left Xabi Alonso and Jamie Carragher on the bench.

But the Anfield manager is adamant the decision will be vindicated if Liverpool win their third Super Cup against CSKA Moscow.

"This is a trophy I value. For a big club like Liverpool, every trophy should be valuable," said Benitez today.

"That is why we're in football. To win competitions. This is very important. Some people like to say one competition is more prestigious than another. That's true, but we are playing this final to win.

"I was happy to miss out on the opportunity to win the competition last season because I came to Liverpool after Valencia won the UEFA Cup. Now I'm even happier I have the chance to win it with Liverpool.

"I think one of the most important aims you can have is to earn the right to be in the Super Cup because it means you have enjoyed big success to get there.

"I know being in the top four of the Premiership is very important, but you will never see any club honours list recording an historic fourth place in the Premiership.

"History remembers champions and trophy winners. For us, this could be our second trophy in a short space of time and that's what you're remembered for."

Liverpool, who have Harry Kewell back in the squad tomorrow, are number one seeds in today's Champions League draw, ensuring they'll avoid most of the tournament favourites.

Meanwhile, Steven Gerrard is tipped to win UEFA's most valuable player award in the ceremony which follows the draw. Gerrard is unlikely to play tomorrow because of his injured calf.

* Michael Owen remains hopeful of securing his dream move back to Liverpool - despite Newcastle's record bid to try and lure him to St James' Park.

Despite the current frenzy of speculation, no decision on his future is thought to be imminent.

p.s harry kewell?   :D
Last edited by red37 on Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Raoul » Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:54 pm

Can anyone give me a link to a free feed or audio commentary - it looks like our satelite connection has just fallen over...

Aiya, as we say in China

Cheers in advance
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:56 pm

with stevie not playing i hope our forwards start finding the net tomorrow
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cisse's Beard » Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:59 pm

Anyone know what Channel it's on? Think its ITV, but I'm not sure
Cisse's Beard

Postby ALONSO_14 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:07 pm

yeah ITV 1 i remember hearing it was on. i have doubts about us winning this one after a few terrible performances of late and CSKA moscow are no TNS, they did win the UEFA cup, some people are taking this match as an easy win and i wouldnt be surprised if we were beaten. we are every capable of winning but we have to take it very seriously and play well for once, if we play like tuesday night we can kiss the super cup goodbye
LIVERPOOL FC- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINNERS 2005
                        EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS, 5TH TIME WINNERS
                        ISTANBUL
ALONSO_14
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:12 pm

i cant wait for the game, i think its going to be a really good one. Im not going to say we are going to steam roll them over, but i think we will play very well for the win.
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:11 pm

Suprise Suprise Kewell playing in another cup game ???
Crouch is in the squad also. :)
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:13 pm

cisses_gona_get_ya wrote:Suprise Suprise Kewell playing in another cup game ???
Crouch is in the squad also. :)

============================

strangely im relieved  :lookaround 
but i bet he gets to the bench  :veryangry

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby adamnbarrett » Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:17 pm

Raoul wrote:Can anyone give me a link to a free feed or audio commentary - it looks like our satelite connection has just fallen over...

Aiya, as we say in China

Cheers in advance

radio city should be covering tomorrows game but they might not but heres the link any way link when you tune in just click on listen.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby joependo » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:09 pm

We should win this cup but with our strikers off form (always :D )we can't score.I hope Xabi scores another blinder
joependo

Postby Hotrod » Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:30 pm

kewell is fit again or are u chatting S
"GUYVER"
Hotrod

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion