LIVERPOOL VS CSKA MOSCOW  ( super cup final) - All related

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby azriahmad » Sat Aug 27, 2005 6:46 am

How lucky can one get?

Cisse's equaliser was pure luck, and the second he should have tucked away with the first effort. I really feel for Cisse, the speculations must be killing him mentally, that's why he has been struggling so much lately. We all can say "he missed sitters", "he should score more" etc. but none of us have a ghost of a clue what's happening in his head right now.

If we receive an offer for 14 million from Mr. transfer genious at Lyon, we should jump at the chance. Cisse had too much to live up to from the very beggining due to the massive transfer arranged by Houllier. If he wants Cisse, he has to pay for him like he did earlier to take him to Anfield.

I really feel that Cisse deserves a full season to prove himself and that the guy to sell is the misfiring El Morro - just that he probably does not command a lot in transfer value these days.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Homebooby » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:10 am

BarryBelfast wrote:A.B.  Im gonnna have  to disagree with u  there!I cant  backit up  cos  im  goin  2  bed now and  Jessic :censored: simpson is on  the  telly??

read: I'm off for a Thomas Tank  :D
Homebooby

Postby mistyred » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:19 am

Why the F'ck is everybody attacking Cisse lucky are f'ckin not he scored Nando didn't i can't believe this place :angry:
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:33 am

A great result but a very poor performance , Until Cisse's arrival our attack had all the pace of a one legged man hopping his way to the elecric chair . Pace and creativity ?,vital elements for any team ,last night we had neither. CSKA were happy to defend in numbers and yet despite given repeated opportunities we lacked the wit and invention to exploit them . Trying to batter our way through a  6-7 man defence on the edge of their box was a waste of time as were the countless hopefull but ultimately hopeless crosses that were slung in .
I want Cisse to stay ,his arrival did change the game (why did Rafa wait so long to put him on ? ) but lets not get too carried away, he is far from the finished article , his first goal owed as much to luck as it did to his pace(another night and a handball decision would have been called) , and his second goal should have been buried on the first attempt not fired straight at the keeper. His run and subsequent cross for Garcia's goal were however superb .
Rafa keeps banging on about "we have 5 forwards " ,well on last nights evidence ,no we f'kin don't ,well at least with the exception of Cisse non that can change a game. I actually found myself asking in the second half if Morientes had been subbed and maybe I'd missed it, he was totally anonymous ,and Pongo added nothing to the team .

We won , but I'm left with more reservations than celebrations .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:39 am

Watched the game this morning and here are my views on it.

67% of possesion should be the kind of stat that would have you smiling having seemingly dominated a game but last night this was not the case at all. Liverpool although having the lions share had about 60% of it no where near CSKA's goalkeeper.

In the first half we made chances but lacked the cutting edge in front of goal, a problem all too familiar this season. As usual Morientes as a world class striker was singled out by the so called "experts" and was accused of "going missing" despite creating the best chances of that first half with some exquisite touchs. Who is the man pillorying this world class striker ? Ally McCoist! I have nothing against McCoist as a striker within his own league but what in gods name does this man know about classy cultured world class players the likes of Fernando Morientes. Morientes played for Real Madrid and Monaco. Madrid are known for playing cultured attacking football with quick passing and movement off the ball. Monaco although different had two quick wingers who would create space and then put the ball into the danger area. Morientes with such service is deadly. What we gave Morientes to work with last night was an absolute joke but was that commented on by the so called experts ?

Liverpool passed well from back to front until they got anywhere near the area and then the ball went backwards and back across with Liverpool showing no real guile craft or creativity until inevitably they tried to beat what seemed like 7 foot centre backs in the air and of course failed miserably. The 2 crosses of any note had Morientes throwing everything he had at them and despite troubling Akinfeev both times he was unable to turn them goalwards but I stress these were only half chances.

Zenden as I am fed of saying is no winger. He beat no one last night. He did make a few very nice passes and defensively he was oddly impressive but as a winger did absolutely nothing. Finnan is not good enough to play on the right side of midfield and again it showed that we are just looking for a stop gap until inevitably we get some width out on that right side.

Reina was blamed for the goal for coming off his line even though he had pretty much no other option as no one was catching Carvalho and Reina was simply trying to make himself look big and narrow the angle. He did have a few shaky moments but I think they will pass and he will establish himself as the undoubted number 1 at Liverpool. Hyypia was caught out of position a few times, usually when he was trying to get back from setpieces but I didn't like seeing him having to take the responsibilty of going to the full back positions to almost start the attacks.

Garcia is the most frustrating player on the planet. He goes from the sublime to the ridiculous and then back just as quickly, I do think he suffers from the same problem as Morientes though. If we had natural width this would stretch the defence and give him more time and space to operate in, in his defence he didn't give the ball away as much and he was futher up field when he did. His movement off the ball at times was a credit and he got himself in position to score goals which is always a good sign. He was a little greedy at times when given a chance to lay the ball inside to Moro he chose to blast over from about 20 yards instead.

Josemi looked good again for the first half and did all he could to stop the best player on the pitch Carvalho but as the game went on he tired and apparently picked up an injury (another of those injuries that magically dissapears when you win a trophy ?) I did like the way he looked to go forward with dinked balls over the top instead of just doing side to side and then back.

Riise may have played as a "left back" but did more in an attacking sense than Zenden. When Liverpools predictable slow and not very methodical build up play failed time after time it was a breath of fresh air to see Riise run at someone in his direct style.

Sissoko when he came on seemed to be a one man defensive midfield tackling anyone and everything that moved. People compare him to Vieira but to me his energy makes him more like a cross between Vieira and Gattuso he could be something VERY VERY SPECIAL.

Hamann was Hamann as usual, he did what he always does in his own world class way.

Sinama again injected pace into the game and looked an undoubted potential but the star of the show was Djibril Cisse. It was his pace and direct play that gave us another option and took advantage of the space we were allowed by a brave but tiring CSKA defence. Cisse isn't clinical in front of goal and yet still he has 6 in his last 7 games a stat many people would do well to remember. The reason why people don't rate Cisse is he is not the best in front of goal but as the great man himself used to say "he gets in the positions to miss them". Cisse with something to prove is a much better player. He used to get off on just scoring goals but due to a disjointed season I think he forgot what the adulation and personal sense of satisfaction was like when you score a goal. I hope its a feeling he will come to know very well this season.

There is no one definition of good or great side but they all have one thing in common. They win.

Our spirit and never say attitude have served us well thus far and Rafa is still working with players that are to put it bluntly stop gaps. I'm not quite sure if this International break is a good or a bad thing thing. Lets just hope we pick up no injuries and that when we come back, we up our game tenfold, because we'll get 0 points out of 6 against Spurs and Manure playing how we are at the moment.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby mistyred » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:46 am

woof woof ! wrote:A great result but a very poor performance , Until Cisse's arrival our attack had all the pace of a one legged man hopping his way to the elecric chair . Pace and creativity ?,vital elements for any team ,last night we had neither. CSKA were happy to defend in numbers and yet despite given repeated opportunities we lacked the wit and invention to exploit them . Trying to batter our way through a  6-7 man defence on the edge of their box was a waste of time as were the countless hopefull but ultimately hopeless crosses that were slung in .
I want Cisse to stay ,his arrival did change the game (why did Rafa wait so long to put him on ? ) but lets not get too carried away, he is far from the finished article , his first goal owed as much to luck as it did to his pace(another night and a handball decision would have been called) , and his second goal should have been buried on the first attempt not fired straight at the keeper. His run and subsequent cross for Garcia's goal were however superb .
Rafa keeps banging on about "we have 5 forwards " ,well on last nights evidence ,no we f'kin don't ,well at least with the exception of Cisse non that can change a game. I actually found myself asking in the second half if Morientes had been subbed and maybe I'd missed it, he was totally anonymous ,and Pongo added nothing to the team .

We won , but I'm left with more reservations than celebrations .

I agree with much of what you say woof Cisse some time to go but atleat the prospect of him getting better is something to look forward too, the idea of Nando getting worse doesn't fill me will a great deal of confidence TBH.

Pongolle has a good prospect but at the mo that's it and the team on the whole is looking rather disjointed, so on that not i will know bang my head off the wall  :upside:
ImageImageImage
mistyred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:51 am

stmichael wrote:Watched the game this morning and here are my views on it.

Perhaps you should watch it again .   :talktothehand

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:52 am

woof woof ! wrote:
stmichael wrote:Watched the game this morning and here are my views on it.

Perhaps you should watch it again .   :talktothehand

no thanks. once was torturous enough. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Kopboyau » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:11 pm

Keep Dibj and sign Owen. Sell Nando
Kopboyau
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby whylongball? » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:52 pm

couldnt watch the game but from the line-up it appears to me Rafa used 5-3-2 with Moro and Garcia upfront.was it guys? If so then i can understand why Moro cant score again..
whylongball?

Postby Cisse's Beard » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:01 pm

Mori just can't adjust to the Premiership.

He's a great player, but he can't adapt.
Cisse's Beard

Postby destro » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:00 pm

i was bored watching it , we are going to be in real trouble this season unless a natural goal scorer ( owen ) is brought in. great cross from cisse for garcias goal, not bad conisedering some ppl seem to think he cant play right mid ?i was sort of dissapointed in alonso to an extent although i agree he cant be world class every game , but surely he must realise a chipped straight ball into the box is not going to result in a goal very often especially when nando cant move and garcia would rather do a few tricks with it before shooting.thankfully hamman took over as the the man to provide the killer ball. the game just passed nando by yes i know there wasnt much quality in the wide play and the crosses could of been better but he just seems to wander about watching the game pass him buy ?. hard to take any plus points from the game apart from the fact that we won( ill never know how though). after the champions league success i never thought i would question rafas judgement but garcia , joesmi, zenden,nando are not now and never will be good enough for LFC. infact out of all the signings hes made i would only accept alonso and momo ( ill wait till he plays more before deciding on crouch but i wont hold my breath ) and also on reina. cisse injected some sort of urgency into our play but im afraid if hes the one who has to make way to free up the funds for the players we need so be it. very worried about the season ahead. and im not accepting that its early days that excuse has been and gone
destro

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:29 am

Just seen the first goal of the game scored by moscow.

What was Reina doing ?
He didnt need to come out that far wtf. ???
66-1112520797

Postby Houllier=LFC » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:16 pm

In fact he did a weak pass in front of goal which almost proves to be disastrous, at the moment he didnt have much chance to prove hes outstanding, but hes showing how easy hes losing concentration. Sorry but these mistakes do bother me a lot.
Houllier=LFC

Postby JBG » Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:49 pm

There was a massive giant of a man in the crowd wearing a red Seven t-shirt........the only thing was that the guy had a shaved head.

Was Leon at the game?
Last edited by JBG on Sun Aug 28, 2005 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion