Steven gerrard...... - What is it about him?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby JC_81 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:02 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:A couple of posters have touched on the reasons I do not, cannot and will not see Gerrard in the same light as Robbie.

He very nearly went to Sh*tski twice in quick succession. That is half the reason I don't have much love for him.

The clincher for me, though, was the love-fest he had for the Man U and Sh*tski players in his autobiography. The amount of literary w*nking over Gary b*stard Neville, "JT" and Fat Frank was nauseating.

It's not how a Liverpool player, let alone the Captain, should ever, ever act. Argue the toss all you want, but they're MY reasons for not holding him up like Fowler was.

I know where you're coming from Lando and no doubt others will agree with you on that.

For me though actions speak louder than words, and whatever the speculation was or what opposition players he's flirted with in books/papers, the lad is the best attacking midfielder of his generation in world football.  His contribution has been absolutely massive and although we have better players and don't rely just as heavily on him now, it's safe to say that he alone carried this team for about four seasons.  He could have gone to any club in the world around the age of 25/26, the same time we were in major transition, but unlike Owen he stayed to fight the cause and did not jump ship.

It doesn't bear thinking about where we might have ended up without him during the transitional early Benitez years, but my guess is we would never have won the CL and probably not even qualified for it several times.

Gerrard is one player that although everyone accepts is world class, people will not appreciate exactly how good he is until he's either over the hill or retired.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Zidane » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:01 pm

I think it just has to do with his demeanor and attitude about certain things, he never speaks out much, always tries to play it safe in interviews, rarely backs the manager or teammate it's just not typical for a captain of a team.  He keeps to himself a lot and whinges too much on the field at times imo, it's just hard to root for a guy like him that's all.  He sometimes doesn't even smile after goals just seems like another person in public when compared to how he would be in private.

Other than that his contributions are obvious to me and I for one don't under appreciate him, you just come to expect things after a while with certain players so people don't praise him that often.  It's not like he's done all that great so far this season anyway, should be playing better.  I'm sure he would agree as well.
Zidane

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:19 pm

He's given me some of the best nights of my life. Like sabre, for me, all the rest is secondary.
LFC2007

Postby account deleted by request » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:28 pm

Like Lando I read Gerrards book and was very disappointed with the impression I got of Gerrard from it.

He is an outstanding player no matter what, and it is as a player that he has given me some of the best footballing memories I have. His goals are like a goal of the season competition. I can't think of anyone who has scored as many outstanding goals as he has. 

He is a match winner, making, creating and scoring goals with pace technique and perfect timing. If we could clone him we would win the league every season, and probably every other cup as well, he really is that good.

For me his only real flaw is that when he does have the odd bad game he withdraws into himself rather than still urging on the people around him like a Tommy Smith or Souness would.

A truly great player who would have been a legend in any era.
account deleted by request

Postby bigmick » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:11 am

s@int wrote:Like Lando I read Gerrards book and was very disappointed with the impression I got of Gerrard from it.

He is an outstanding player no matter what, and it is as a player that he has given me some of the best footballing memories I have. His goals are like a goal of the season competition. I can't think of anyone who has scored as many outstanding goals as he has. 

He is a match winner, making, creating and scoring goals with pace technique and perfect timing. If we could clone him we would win the league every season, and probably every other cup as well, he really is that good.

For me his only real flaw is that when he does have the odd bad game he withdraws into himself rather than still urging on the people around him like a Tommy Smith or Souness would.

I've got a copy of his book in the house S@int and I really must re-read it. I got bought it when it came out, and I must admit just about the only thing which sticks in my mind is when he kicked a spike or something when he was a kid (I think his football is better than his writing to be honest).

If though the problem is that he gets on well with opposition players, in my experience most of them do get on alright, particularly when they play for England. I once read John Terry's book and in it, he talks in absolutely glowing terms about Gerrard, how much he admires him both as a player and as a person.

Equally, all this pantomime villain stuff about Gary Neville and Mourinho and the like I've always taken with a bit of a pinch of salt. When Neville was giving it large to the Manc fans, or Mourinho was shushing ours, we'd love it if they were someone on our side doing it.

I've no doubts that both Mourinho and Gary Neville are perfectly reasonable people in the flesh, as no doubt is John Terry, Rio Ferdinand and the rest of the feckers.

Aplogies if that's not the reason, but if it is because of that that people don't like Gerrard, it's a bit misguided I reckon.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:41 am

heimdall wrote:
ConnO'var wrote:
GYBS wrote:....... but that doesnt mean he is immune from any critisism ........

Agree 100%. Certainly not.

Only Rafa is afforded that particular right.

And Lucas.

Fecking Parry  :angry:  :)

Yeah because Lucas doesnt get critisism does he. :laugh:
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:02 am

redbeergoggles wrote:Steven Gerrard's life is the very essence of every young footballers dreams ,he came through the youth system ,and his burgeoning potential was spotted at a very early age ,and his phenomenal surge to the very pinnacle of world football has been nothing short of extraordinary.

Gerrard made mistakes ,notably in keeping company with Liverpool's more salubrious characters , and frequenting the more exclusive clubs in Liverpool City Centre ,he was also no stranger to being seen drinking with footballs more despicable 
miscreants .
In fact if Gerrard was indeed trying to attract notoriety then he was travelling in the right circles ,but this was all nipped in the bud thanks to our French saviour ,step forward Monsieur Houllier ,who took the young scallywag in tow and reminded him of the talent he possessed ..
I think this was the turning point in Stevens career ,because since then, albeit the Southport incident ,he has kept a low profile .
I think Steven is a young man who is vastly wealthy and up until the court case ,done a more than competent job of staying grounded allowing his less than timid other half to court the headlines .

I simply couldnt envisage how a young footballer thrust so rapidly into the limelight ,managed to cope with all the trappings of success and limitless riches he now had at his disposal ,especially one as talented, and regularly heralded as England's finest young midfielder . (I mean look what happened to Gascoigne  ) I couldn't imagine the temptations on offer ,and how I would deal with the undoubted hangers on .

I think Scouser's who in the early days seen the type of company Gerrard was keeping were dismayed ,but the fact is it just became accepted that Steven would end up like so many others ,who promised so much and ended up falling short of their limitless potential.

Its to the strength of his willpower and endurance that history will portray Steven Gerrard as the best midfielder in Liverpool's history ,and a serious argument for the most complete midfielder in the world today ,and its for that reason Liverpool fc have been  privileged in having at their disposal a player who is on track to be the one of the very best to grace Anfield .

Top post mate.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:02 am

john craig wrote:I know where you're coming from Lando and no doubt others will agree with you on that.

For me though actions speak louder than words, and whatever the speculation was or what opposition players he's flirted with in books/papers, the lad is the best attacking midfielder of his generation in world football.  His contribution has been absolutely massive and although we have better players and don't rely just as heavily on him now, it's safe to say that he alone carried this team for about four seasons.  He could have gone to any club in the world around the age of 25/26, the same time we were in major transition, but unlike Owen he stayed to fight the cause and did not jump ship.

It doesn't bear thinking about where we might have ended up without him during the transitional early Benitez years, but my guess is we would never have won the CL and probably not even qualified for it several times.

Gerrard is one player that although everyone accepts is world class, people will not appreciate exactly how good he is until he's either over the hill or retired.

Spot on.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:05 am

Whats it matter if people dont like him?
I dont see anyone playing down his importance to the team.
I dont see how it matters if people dont like his personality, we are all different when it comes to that after all.
Great player and we`d be fked without him.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:05 am

Im not sure about Gary Neville Mick, but the rest mentioned.. I have no problems with Gerrard
respecting them or talking the way about them like he did in his book.

Lando says it's not how a Liverpool player should ever act - oh really? Not sure about that.

I remember walking out of the Milenium Stadium at Cardiff after the FA Cup Final against West Ham.
Me and a mate had been discussing before the game,whether he was better (playing wise - not as a captain)
than Souness.
As we walked out the ground, we agreed he was better.

Funnily enough, after his winner against Bolton, I texted him with the blasphemous question..
"Is he better than Dalglish?".
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:32 am

Effes wrote:Funnily enough, after his winner against Bolton, I texted him with the blasphemous question..
"Is he better than Dalglish?".

Thats a hard one and its maybe better to revisit when his career is over.
What I will say though is I`m not sure had he replaced and played in the same teams as SG that kenny would have got us out the sh!t as much as Gerrard, you can only really judge a player within the teams they played.
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:39 am

Considering what he has done for the team over the last half a dozen seasons, nobody will ever convince me Gerrard gets the praise he deserves. We've won two trophies in the last five years, neither IMHO of which we would have won but for direct and very clear intervention from Gerrard. It might be a wee bit strong to say he won us the matches on his own, but we certainly wouldn't have won them were he not playing I'm convinced of that.

If you contrast the reverence which the manager is held in for example by the majority of the fans, and the "affection" which is or isn't shown towards Gerrard IMHO, there is a difference. I would I think be in the distinct minority who would side with Gerrard were he and Rafa to have a major bust-up and it be a case of one of them needing to go. You could replace Rafa, but we certainly couldn't in this day and age replace Gerrard.

I say the above well aware that some will see it as being controversial, but there you go.
Last edited by bigmick on Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rush Job » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:46 am

bigmick wrote:Considering what he has done for the team over the last half a dozen seasons, nobody will ever convince me Gerrard gets the praise he deserves. We've won two trophies in the last five years, neither IMHO of which we would have won but for direct and very clear intervention from Gerrard. It might be a wee bit strong to say he won us the matches on his own, but we certainly wouldn't have won them were he not playing I'm convinced of that.

If you contrast the reverence which the manager is held in for example by the majority of the fans, and the "affection" which is or isn't shown towards Gerrard IMHO, there is a difference. I would I think be in the distinct minority who would side with Gerrard were he and Rafa to have a major bust-up and it be a case of one of them needing to go. You could replace Rafa, but we certainly couldn't in this day and age replace Gerrard.

I say the above well aware that some will see it as being controversial, but there you go.

No mate its just your opinion and your entitled to it.
It would be a hard one for me and would depend on the situation.
But you wouldnt be the only one to back him the forum would probably be split.
Do a poll. :D
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:52 am

Rush Job wrote:
bigmick wrote:Considering what he has done for the team over the last half a dozen seasons, nobody will ever convince me Gerrard gets the praise he deserves. We've won two trophies in the last five years, neither IMHO of which we would have won but for direct and very clear intervention from Gerrard. It might be a wee bit strong to say he won us the matches on his own, but we certainly wouldn't have won them were he not playing I'm convinced of that.

No mate its just your opinion and your entitled to it.
It would be a hard one for me and would depend on the situation.
But you wouldnt be the only one to back him the forum would probably be split.
Do a poll. :D

I would Rushie but I resisted the temptation as I myself would vote "others", and you can't vote in your own polls.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:53 am

bigmick wrote:
s@int wrote:Like Lando I read Gerrards book and was very disappointed with the impression I got of Gerrard from it.

I've got a copy of his book in the house S@int and I really must re-read it. I got bought it when it came out, and I must admit just about the only thing which sticks in my mind is when he kicked a spike or something when he was a kid (I think his football is better than his writing to be honest).

If though the problem is that he gets on well with opposition players, in my experience most of them do get on alright, particularly when they play for England. I once read John Terry's book and in it, he talks in absolutely glowing terms about Gerrard, how much he admires him both as a player and as a person.

Equally, all this pantomime villain stuff about Gary Neville and Mourinho and the like I've always taken with a bit of a pinch of salt. When Neville was giving it large to the Manc fans, or Mourinho was shushing ours, we'd love it if they were someone on our side doing it.

I've no doubts that both Mourinho and Gary Neville are perfectly reasonable people in the flesh, as no doubt is John Terry, Rio Ferdinand and the rest of the feckers.

Aplogies if that's not the reason, but if it is because of that that people don't like Gerrard, it's a bit misguided I reckon.

No mate, I expect most footballers off the field are quite friendly with each other. They have the same agents, know the same people, go to the same places, spend time together when on international duty, have the same pressures and do the same job, I would find it stranger if they wern't friendly with each other. 

It was just the Stevie Mee business that annoyed me a little bit. It was his auto-biography so you would expect him to talk about himself and what he has achieved (thats what you are paying for), but I think he took it a bit too far with his book.

Maybe it was just the contrast with Fowlers book, but I read Fowlers book and afterwards thought more of him as a person, while with Gerrard I didn't.

That takes nothing away from my appreciation of him as a player, I just don't think I would want him marrying my daughter if you know what I mean. (although the money would be nice  :D )

Its a while since I read his book so I am just remembering how I felt after I read it, maybe I should read it again.

World class footballer, maybe not a world class personality ?

Truth is we have no real idea what any of them are like, we read into things, read about them and make decisions on there personalities from the little evidence we get. They are probably nothing like we imagine them to be, and I am sure most of them could care less what we think anyway.
account deleted by request

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion