Steven gerrard...... - What is it about him?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:41 am

dawson99 wrote:Stevie G is different class, we all know that, and we'd all miss him, but there is something about him I just don't trust. When you read his autobiography you get the sense he is in ti for himself. There is nothing wrong with that, but he does come across pretty selfish and he knows how to hold a grudge. the whole chelsea business as well has left a sour taste, but whilst he wears the top, he is different class and we love the lad

If he was in it just for himself he would have gone that time daws...and who could have blamed him ?
His best mate did the same the season before.

Think people forget that, Owen and stevie grew up together in the same youth teams and once Owen had done it, it was a distinct possibility that stevie would.

He never, some people still wont give him credit for staying.

other players left when we were the best Rush Souness Keegan etc and were forgiven why ?

Would they have all stayed had we not been the VERY best about ?
Possibly..but not definately.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby LFC2007 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:37 am

heimdall wrote:
bigmick wrote:What you could do GYBS is ask yourself why he hasn't answered ??? I'll have a guess.

My guess is that he thinks either Kuyt or Lucas gets "undeserved respect". Why? well he probably thinks that in the case of Kuyt, any criticism however slight is matched by indignation so heartfelt you have to re-read your post just to make sure you haven't mistakenlly called him a ginger haired Dutch c..., or said he was absolutely sh!t, or that he didn't put lots of effort in.

If it's Lucas who he thinks gets undeserved "respect", it's probably that whenever someone tries to sensibly talk out him it goes all haywire, and half a dozen pages are added onto threads with no sense really talked.

In short mate, there is the distinct possibility that he can't be bothered :D

Am I bothered though? face bothered etc etc etc, I ain't bothered  :D

WTF, Heimdall how do you know this?!  :D  Are the BBC exporting their left-over shite to Norway these days?
LFC2007

Postby Lando_Griffin » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:47 am

A couple of posters have touched on the reasons I do not, cannot and will not see Gerrard in the same light as Robbie.

He very nearly went to Sh*tski twice in quick succession. That is half the reason I don't have much love for him.

The clincher for me, though, was the love-fest he had for the Man U and Sh*tski players in his autobiography. The amount of literary w*nking over Gary b*stard Neville, "JT" and Fat Frank was nauseating.

It's not how a Liverpool player, let alone the Captain, should ever, ever act. Argue the toss all you want, but they're MY reasons for not holding him up like Fowler was.
Last edited by Lando_Griffin on Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:07 am

For me aswel i've always like fowler than any other liverpool player!!! But steven gerrard is another one loved!!!
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:43 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:A couple of posters have touched on the reasons I do not, cannot and will not see Gerrard in the same light as Robbie.

I'm not sure anyone touched on reasons why you personally don't hold him in the same esteem as Robbie, to be honest I'd be surprised if anybody knew what you thought on the subject. I referred a couple of times to the general feeling amongst Liverpool fans, I'm not sure if that's what you are referring to.

Still, at least you cleared it up I suppose if anyone was actually wondering.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:51 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:A couple of posters have touched on the reasons I do not, cannot and will not see Gerrard in the same light as Robbie.

He very nearly went to Sh*tski twice in quick succession. That is half the reason I don't have much love for him.

The clincher for me, though, was the love-fest he had for the Man U and Sh*tski players in his autobiography. The amount of literary w*nking over Gary b*stard Neville, "JT" and Fat Frank was nauseating.

It's not how a Liverpool player, let alone the Captain, should ever, ever act. Argue the toss all you want, but they're MY reasons for not holding him up like Fowler was.

Obviously I respect your reasons.....

A suggestion you may want to consider..

Beauty of Gray - Live
The perception that divides you from him
Is a lie
For some reason you never asked why
This is not a black and white world
You can't afford to believe in your side

This is not a black and white world
To be alive
I say the colors must swirl
And I believe
That maybe today
We will all get to appreciate

The beauty of gray
ConnO'var

Postby laza » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:45 am

I love the way the blogger has mentioned how he saved our bacon against Olympiacos.
IIRC  SteveG was lucky to be still on field after a very pentulant nasty little tackle and had a fairly lucklustre performance during most  of that match.
He smashes the goal at end and gets boy's own kudos for it but again IIRC it was unsung players like Ping Pong who got us through that game
As for how fans judge, maybe scouse fan likes their heroes to still have two feet on the ground and not be walking around on the hype cloud. Doesnt stop him from being a legend though and I expect he be far better remembered in retirement
Last edited by laza on Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:08 am

bigmick wrote:

I'm not sure anyone touched on reasons why you personally don't hold him in the same esteem as Robbie, to be honest I'd be surprised if anybody knew what you thought on the subject. I referred a couple of times to the general feeling amongst Liverpool fans, I'm not sure if that's what you are referring to.

Still, at least you cleared it up I suppose if anyone was actually wondering.

Nobody has touched on it here mick, but in the past lando has made his feelings clear.

There is clear signs of dislike or contempt for our skipper in his post above as well  :no
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Sabre » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:05 am

I understand your reasons. I always liked players that said the archenemy and their players were shít, rather than this other kind of professional that is extremely respectful to the other football players in the league.

In that sense, Alonso, wasn't my favourite player in Real Sociedad and Liverpool, because in that sense he's the same as Gerrard, he won't say anything bad about other players. If you asked Alonso a year ago for Ronaldo, he would have praised his game instead of saying he's a cúnt, which is what you and I would like to hear.

However mate, that for me is secondary when I see the lad performing on the pitch, and despite that if I read what you read I wouldn't like it either, that becomes secondary, or fifthary when you see what he has given for the club these years.
Last edited by Sabre on Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:28 am

In response to Michaels thread what is it about him , Hes our captain, not a bad player aswell , bit of a frowner an a moody g.et but hes ours
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ICE-MAN » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:57 am

I hold greater respect and admiration for Gerrard than I do for Fowler!

Sure Fowler scored a hat-ful of goals for the club and was a local lad plus supported the local community, but Gerrard has done all this and more!

How is it worng that he respects players from other teams, in his autobiography im sure he cant exactly start slaggin them off cos he would meet them at the following international break!

He didnt sign for Chelski, remember that, his head was turned just like anybodys head would have been turned, apart from Carra cos hes not human! Sure look at John Terry, chelsea through and through and his head was turned by City! Plus Gerrards head was turned at a time when he wasnt feeling loved by the club, something that has to be blamed on parry!

Gerrard has done more for this club than Fowler!  The fact that Fowler was a bit of Scally is why a lot of fans prefer him!
ICE-MAN

Postby bigmick » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:45 pm

ICE-MAN wrote:Plus Gerrards head was turned at a time when he wasnt feeling loved by the club, something that has to be blamed on parry!

Dead right mate  :angry:
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redbeergoggles » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:30 pm

Steven Gerrard's life is the very essence of every young footballers dreams ,he came through the youth system ,and his burgeoning potential was spotted at a very early age ,and his phenomenal surge to the very pinnacle of world football has been nothing short of extraordinary.

Gerrard made mistakes ,notably in keeping company with Liverpool's more salubrious characters , and frequenting the more exclusive clubs in Liverpool City Centre ,he was also no stranger to being seen drinking with footballs more despicable 
miscreants .
In fact if Gerrard was indeed trying to attract notoriety then he was travelling in the right circles ,but this was all nipped in the bud thanks to our French saviour ,step forward Monsieur Houllier ,who took the young scallywag in tow and reminded him of the talent he possessed ..
I think this was the turning point in Stevens career ,because since then, albeit the Southport incident ,he has kept a low profile .
I think Steven is a young man who is vastly wealthy and up until the court case ,done a more than competent job of staying grounded allowing his less than timid other half to court the headlines .

I simply couldnt envisage how a young footballer thrust so rapidly into the limelight ,managed to cope with all the trappings of success and limitless riches he now had at his disposal ,especially one as talented, and regularly heralded as England's finest young midfielder . (I mean look what happened to Gascoigne  ) I couldn't imagine the temptations on offer ,and how I would deal with the undoubted hangers on .

I think Scouser's who in the early days seen the type of company Gerrard was keeping were dismayed ,but the fact is it just became accepted that Steven would end up like so many others ,who promised so much and ended up falling short of their limitless potential.

Its to the strength of his willpower and endurance that history will portray Steven Gerrard as the best midfielder in Liverpool's history ,and a serious argument for the most complete midfielder in the world today ,and its for that reason Liverpool fc have been  privileged in having at their disposal a player who is on track to be the one of the very best to grace Anfield .
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby taff » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:45 pm

I have a mate from Huyton and he knew the family or who they were and I have asked his view about him as he remembers him as a kid so I tend to trust his view and agree with it. 

He is simply a kid from an estate in Huyton who was/is football crazy and he has carried the team on his back from a young age and if he had left in 2004 then good luck to him.  He is happy with his mates but quiet with people he doesnt know and he loves or used to love the local chippy/chinese where he used to hang about with his mates but at the end of the night he would go home in a bmw and they would walk or go on bikes :D

He's no scally but a scouser warts an all. And his old man would always be dressed in football kit :D
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redbeergoggles » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:52 pm

taff wrote:I have a mate from Huyton and he knew the family or who they were and I have asked his view about him as he remembers him as a kid so I tend to trust his view and agree with it. 

He is simply a kid from an estate in Huyton who was/is football crazy and he has carried the team on his back from a young age and if he had left in 2004 then good luck to him.  He is happy with his mates but quiet with people he doesnt know and he loves or used to love the local chippy/chinese where he used to hang about with his mates but at the end of the night he would go home in a bmw and they would walk or go on bikes :D

He's no scally but a scouser warts an all. And his old man would always be dressed in football kit :D

:D
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion