Steven gerrard...... - What is it about him?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby redbeergoggles » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:55 am

bigmick wrote:Not saying you're wrong Red as you're probably not, but why should it? I was discussing Kuyt with a bloke this morning and gave the opinion that he's started the season very slowly. He's a perfectly reasonable fella, and in mid conversation it was pointed out to me that if Gerrard had done the Kuyt assist of his chest to Torres, "half the forum would be w@nking over it". Where does that come from, almost as if some fans begrudge the fact that Gerrard gets lots of praise. I've seen on here a couple of times over the last couple of weeks that Gerrard was a "disgrace" in the first couple of games of the season. I mean, what is that  ???

Even on a bad day, he's nearly always our best player on view. On a good day, he's head and shoulders clear of everyone else. You've got GYBS on this thread talking about when he goes for the "glory pass or shot" much of the time. My argument is that if he didn't, we'd be fecked much of the time too. Put it this way, if he didn't go for the glory shot in the Cup Final we wouldn't have won it, ditto got past Olympiacos in the Champions League.

I just can't understand why the bloke has to retire before people appreciate him. I loved Robbie Fowler as a player, all the fans did, but lets be honest Gerrard is twice the footballer Fowler was and gets nothing like the same adulation. Maybe Andy's on the money, perhaps people just don't like him as a person I don't know.

Mick your comments about Kuyt are not without foundation , that's why they haven't invoked the usual retorts ,but surely anyone that doesn't realise what Gerrard gives to the team is simply not worth the effort of engaging in debate with .....

I mean Kuyt will always have his detractors ,but Gerrard the idea is simply astounding ,but that said this forum in general always has the propensity for surprise .
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby heimdall » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:03 am

ConnO'var wrote:
GYBS wrote:....... but that doesnt mean he is immune from any critisism ........

Agree 100%. Certainly not.

Only Rafa is afforded that particular right.

And Lucas.

Fecking Parry  :angry:  :)
heimdall

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:05 am

For those newer members who weren't here at the time of the Chelsea saga, here is the thread I started about our skipper. I was emotional at the time but I think it explained my feelings at the time.

http://www.liverpoolfc-newkit.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=12072&hilit=gerrard

People need to realise that Gerrard has been wrapped in cotton wool all his life. In many ways he's never had to mature the way ordinary people do. The modern day "star" footballers have everything done for then by the club, down to paying their gas and leccy bills. The clubs ensure that there are no distractions which is why they get so bored.

Gerrard in the past has been very immature, even for a footballer. In my opinion he should never have been made captain (that's a separate debate) and the flirting with Chelsea at the time was just another sign that he needed to grow up.

But what do you do? He is a great player and he would walk into any team in the world. Would you rather have him with us or against us? I don't even think I need to answer that.
Last edited by stmichael on Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby DrPepe » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:05 am

heimdall wrote:
ConnO'var wrote:
GYBS wrote:....... but that doesnt mean he is immune from any critisism ........

And Lucas.

immune?

isn't he the one single player who gets virtually all the criticism these days?  :upside:
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby heimdall » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:08 am

DrPepe wrote:
heimdall wrote:
ConnO'var wrote:

And Lucas.

immune?

isn't he the one single player who gets virtually all the criticism these days?  :upside:

ok, just to explain the  :)  smiley is a sarcasm smiley. And just try and criticise Lucas and see how long it takes before the "machine gunner" turns on you.
heimdall

Postby GYBS » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:47 am

heimdall wrote:
ConnO'var wrote:

And Lucas.

I thought i would roll out this old favourite for you mick in response to this post as thats exactly what it is now - its littered all over the forum by a certain poster and its now dull and boring as feck now . Please come up with a new phrase mick so he can copy that and post it constantly until you come up with a new one
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:49 am

Also i still fail to see where this lack of respect for gerrard or antipathy is Mick - yes he has been critizised when he makes a mistake or when he is off form but no lack of respect because of that - just justified mate and certainly nowhere near the levels experienced by other players or manager .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:49 am

You've opened up a bit of a can of worms here GYBS ???
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:51 am

bigmick wrote:You've opened up a bit of a can of worms here GYBS ???

:D

Its no use saying it mick you have to post the smiley as well - but im sure you must be a bit miffed to write a very decent opening post with lots of thought behind it in the hope of getting some good debate which on the whole it is only to see a post stating "Fecking Parry " once again - even you must admit its pointless and dull now and just ruining threads all over the place.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:08 pm

GYBS wrote:but im sure you must be a bit miffed to write a very decent opening post with lots of thought behind it in the hope of getting some good debate which on the whole it is only to see a post stating "Fecking Parry " once again - even you must admit its pointless and dull now and just ruining threads all over the place.

I'm not miffed mate, other people are far worse than Heimdall for derailing threads :laugh: "Decent debate" though has been few and far between since the season started I think, with many threads degenerating into silliness. That's not anyones fault particularly, it's just the way the forum is.

It's funny though, because much like some people say they find my posts "boring" I personally find it tedious in the extreme when you can't discuss football without getting sidetracked all the time. Equally, when a bit of banter comes in and everyone takes it mega serious as happened earlier you do kind of get that "whats the point" feeling.

A self imposed exile is coming soon I can feel it. Perhaps I'll wait till I'm knocked out of the last man standing then feck off for a bit, it did neither me nor anybody else any harm last time :buttrock.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:15 pm

What happened earlier ???

Just need to relax at the end of the day and just realise its just people hammering away on a keyboard with an opinion and a view and as long as it doesnt get personal or insulting then it should all just be football harmful debate with no doubt lots of disagreements of opinions or agreement of opinions. i think a lot of probs that comes your way is not down to you its mainly down to your bunch of followers who come steaming into the middle of a debate and all hell breaks loose - once again not your fault nor something you can control - just carry on posting and smiley and supporting no matter what anyone says - as for all the real fan bo.llocks thats exactly what it is - bol.llocks and your view or opinions on matters shouldnt and doesnt determine wether your a real fan or not .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:21 pm

GYBS wrote:What happened earlier ???

Just need to relax at the end of the day and just realise its just people hammering away on a keyboard with an opinion and a view and as long as it doesnt get personal or insulting then it should all just be football harmful debate with no doubt lots of disagreements of opinions or agreement of opinions. i think a lot of probs that comes your way is not down to you its mainly down to your bunch of followers who come steaming into the middle of a debate and all hell breaks loose - once again not your fault nor something you can control - just carry on posting and smiley and supporting no matter what anyone says - as for all the real fan bo.llocks thats exactly what it is - bol.llocks and your view or opinions on matters shouldnt and doesnt determine wether your a real fan or not .

Nice words mate ta for that. Nah like I say, it's not anybodies fault (probably mine in truth  :laugh: ) but sometimes you gotta let it go for bit I reckon. Was good last time and maybe I'll confound me critics and feck off only to return once we are playing really well. Funnily enough, the last time I fecked off we suddenly kicked on big style, maybe I'm a jinx :D.

Anyways while I'm in the last man thing I'm sticking around, so get cheering for Hull, I've got Sunderland (mind you I am pretty confident I don't mind telling you, one for the football bets that one I reckon).
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:23 pm

Feck that mick - you can feck off now if thats true - Mods ban this man until late may :p :D

well if you do stop posting i for one will be sorry and will miss your novels umm sorry i mean posts :D
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redbeergoggles » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:32 pm

bigmick wrote:
GYBS wrote:but im sure you must be a bit miffed to write a very decent opening post with lots of thought behind it in the hope of getting some good debate which on the whole it is only to see a post stating "Fecking Parry " once again - even you must admit its pointless and dull now and just ruining threads all over the place.

I'm not miffed mate, other people are far worse than Heimdall for derailing threads :laugh: "Decent debate" though has been few and far between since the season started I think, with many threads degenerating into silliness. That's not anyones fault particularly, it's just the way the forum is.

It's funny though, because much like some people say they find my posts "boring" I personally find it tedious in the extreme when you can't discuss football without getting sidetracked all the time. Equally, when a bit of banter comes in and everyone takes it mega serious as happened earlier you do kind of get that "whats the point" feeling.

A self imposed exile is coming soon I can feel it. Perhaps I'll wait till I'm knocked out of the last man standing then feck off for a bit, it did neither me nor anybody else any harm last time :buttrock.

Do you have to mention Last Man Standing or as we underachievers like to call it the LCS thread ( Little Club Syndrome ) never again will I opt for Everton  :D
Oh in all seriousness Mick I would review that decision to opt for a stay of absence ,I personally enjoy your threads and on most occasions do take the time to read them (If I have a spare Fortnight      :D )
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:35 pm

Serves you right mate, Everton :laugh:
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion