Steve finnan - Judgement day

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:12 pm

when finnan was with fulham he was by far the best rb in the league, but last season for us he was unlucky with injuries. if rafa gives him time i have no doubt that we will see that quality which he displayed with fulham. there he was very sound defensively and also very comfortable going forwards with the ball at his feet.

however in certain games i was a bit worried about the way finnan lost the physical defensive battle a number of times last season. one example was when drogba seriosly outmuscled him for marseille's equaliser at anfield. his positioning was also a bit suspect at times. carra's defensive positioning is generally better than finnan's and last season jamie also improved no end when crossing the half way line. it will be interesting to see who starts this season. it is strange to think that carra's versatility may work against him- his ability to cover a variety of positions makes him an ideal substitute.

however, very few of the players covered themselves in glory last season and it may be a bit stupid to write finnan off yet.  all in all, i would still start with finnan at RB, though he - along with most of the rest - would be on notice that I'd be looking for a big improvement.

what do you think about finnan?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby stapo1000 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:22 pm

finnan is a very good player who was unlucky wit injury last season. i think he will regain the form he had with fulham wit the right preparation and mentality if benitez is good enough. but he will be pushed for a spot by riise
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
He'll pass the ball 40 yards,
He's quick and he's f*cking hard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:45 pm

If we can't find any good right winger by the start of the season, then finnan might play there with carragher at right back.

Finnan can attack & defend while i don't have to mention about carragher's defensive qualities.

Thinking about it, with finnan at right wing & carragher at right back, the opposition will not be able to penetrate our right flank..... :D
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby barnesrush » Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:08 pm

stapo how can u say he will be pushed for a spot by riise? ??? they play on opposite sides of the pitch!!
riise although a great player is extremely left sided. hopefully otsemebor will get a few games and create competition with finnan as i feel semi is a more natural attacking full back
cut me and i bleed red
barnesrush

Postby whylongball? » Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:22 pm

i like his touch and crossing, but got to train alot on his strength. Carra offers better defensive quality so its very much up to nature of the game(who we play against) i think...
whylongball?

Postby stapo1000 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:29 pm

barnesrush wrote:stapo how can u say he will be pushed for a spot by riise? ??? they play on opposite sides of the pitch!!
riise although a great player is extremely left sided. hopefully otsemebor will get a few games and create competition with finnan as i feel semi is a more natural attacking full back

sorry, your right- what was i thinking
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Pool Boy » Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:34 pm

Finnan has on a number of occasions played on the right of midfield with the Rep. of Ireland. He provides good attacking and defensive options in this position when Steven Carr from Spurs plays right back.....both are similar players who like to get forward...he could be an option for right side of midfield in certain games......he tends to go forward a lot more when playing for Ireland and his attacking abilities weren't utilised as much under Houllier...he has pace and is a good crosser of the ball...come to think of it....Steven Carr would be a very good addition to the squad....one of the better attacking defenders in the EPL....?
Pool Boy

Postby stapo1000 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:01 pm

finnan did play right mid against manure last season and nearly scored from 30 yards- just put it over. but houllier moved him back to rb after that. i thought he did well that day even tho he was subbed for smicer
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:08 pm

Stapo you see my point lad?

You're doing it already. Playing players out of position is not the answer, you critisised Houllier for it the other day and now you seem to be condoning it, Finnan is a right back. Not a right midfielder.

stapo how can u say he will be pushed for a spot by riise?

He might have been assuming Carragher is a certain starter.... which he should be in my eyes.
115-1073096938

Postby stapo1000 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:16 pm

i knew everyone would go to town on me for that.just a common mistake. riise and carra are competing for the left back position and finnan is really our only righ back. when finnan was out henchoz was played at right back and it didnt work. i wouldnt consider playin riise at right back
Steve Gerrard Gerrard,
Steve Gerrard Gerrard.
stapo1000
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Jul 23, 2004 4:34 pm

stapo1000 wrote:i knew everyone would go to town on me for that.just a common mistake. riise and carra are competing for the left back position and finnan is really our only righ back. when finnan was out henchoz was played at right back and it didnt work. i wouldnt consider playin riise at right back

Erm , I haven't been to every game,
You say Carra and Riise are competing for the left back position ???? ....... I've never seen Carra at LB .  :(
So I guess Riise gets the nod ?

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Sean » Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:35 pm

Didn't like the way Finnan got out muscled for the ball last season but he has played some great games for Ireland so definitely has the talent.  He has a similar build to Phil Neal and would do well to try and model his game on Neal's.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby akumaface » Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:29 pm

Finnan seems average at best from last season. I didn't see him play much when he was with Fulham. So, I don't know how good he really was. But to me, he seems a good passer but defensive wise, he looked suspect at times. Also, he is not as physical as I would like in a RB. Some of you think he has pace but I didn't think so simply watching him from last season. He is not any faster than Carra though.???
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby Paul C » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:09 pm

I like Finnan, he isn't a bad defender and he is great going forward, he reminds me of a right sided Wayne Bridge when he has a good game, he was also unlucky with injury and didn't really have the greatest players in front of him on the right :(

I think he will get better next season
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:38 pm

Not as good and not as quick but reminds me alot of Rob Jones.

Good touch, two footed, reads the game well.

He'll improve next season.
115-1073096938

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion