Steve finnan - Time up?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Big Niall » Mon May 12, 2008 4:51 pm

Finnan is not the player he was.

However, I don't think Aurelio or Arbeloa are as good as he was. Full backs are not the main problem though.

Lets concentrade on a right winger and a second striker and a central midfielder (I think Alonso should go)
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JoeTerp » Mon May 12, 2008 5:20 pm

In a dream world it would be Rafinha, Alves, or Ramos at starting RB. Arbeloa as the all-around cover boy for wherever he might be needed in case of injury at any position including RB. But this Degeen rumor pains and troubles me. Is Rafa seeing this guy as the cover for Arbeloa? or even the starter ???      hopefully he will never come, and if he does hopefully Rafa has seen something in him that other people haven't.

I'm cool with Aurelio and Insua as our Left sided options with arbeloa capable of filling in (if there is a new right back, OR if Rafa sees the back line with Carra at RB and Skrtel and Agger in the middle)
JoeTerp

Postby Judge » Mon May 12, 2008 5:29 pm

bring back veggard heggem
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ste123lfc » Mon May 12, 2008 5:45 pm

I can't honestly remember him making any mistakes that have directly resulted in a goal. Not done much wrong in my opinion. Seems a waste of money buying another right back when he is more than capable.
From Shankly to Brendan we follow our team, Rome to Istanbul we've all lived the dream. Our journey is long, our goal stays the same, to keep for our children the famous red name.
ste123lfc
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Mon May 12, 2008 5:50 pm

stmichael wrote:been a great player for us but i'd be inclined to move him on in the summer if we get a decent offer, assuming that arbeloa is happy here.

I'd keep him as back-up, no sense simply adding to the outgoing list just because he isn't necessarily first choice. Of course it would depend how long he has left on his contract, not sure we'd get more than £1m or £2m and he's more valuable as cover.

I guess a lot depends on what Rafa has in mind for Arbeloa who can cover LB, RB and, at a push, CB. Assuming Riise is a goner then we're looking at having just two FBs retained if Finnan goes - Arbeloa and Aurelio. Aurelio is injury prone and we don't want Carra at RB permanently, money should be spent on other positions first and foremost. And do we really want to have another half dozen changes this summer? (LB, RB, CF, LM, RM and CM) We'll be citing it as an excuse, the old 'settling in come rebuilding period', for not winning the league next season.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon May 12, 2008 6:21 pm

Just been reading that our option on Barragan (£450k)runs out in 2008, maybe we should get him back if he's over his homesickness?
account deleted by request

Postby hello_red » Mon May 12, 2008 6:37 pm

Well if we are debating whether to move Finnan on in the summer we are never going to win the league.

Its as simple as this:

hes no longer the player he was 2/3 seasons ago. Simple as that!
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Wed May 14, 2008 6:16 pm

hello_red wrote:Well if we are debating whether to move Finnan on in the summer we are never going to win the league.

Its as simple as this:

We could improve a lot of positions, to change more than half a dozen players would be insane. We're already looking at :

Forwards - one or more
Wingers - ideally one for each wing, arguably we need two for the right
Centre mids - maybe one more, not vital unless Alonso goes
Full Backs - one for either side, maybe two for the right
Goalie - not sure anyone rates Itandje, Carson may be the second choice if he's happy being that

So we're talking maybe as many as 10-12 new players if we replace anyone on the basis we need quality and also want to replace anyone who isn't first choice or as good as they were a season or more ago. Nobody says he should stay forever, you just can't change the squad en masse like you might on a football management game and expect to win the league. He's more than adequate for playing RB against bottom half sides, just because people are suggesting we might not need to "move Finnan" doesn't mean he features heavily as 1st choice RB
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hello_red » Thu May 15, 2008 1:23 am

Owzat wrote:
hello_red wrote:Well if we are debating whether to move Finnan on in the summer we are never going to win the league.

Its as simple as this:

We could improve a lot of positions, to change more than half a dozen players would be insane. We're already looking at :

Forwards - one or more
Wingers - ideally one for each wing, arguably we need two for the right
Centre mids - maybe one more, not vital unless Alonso goes
Full Backs - one for either side, maybe two for the right
Goalie - not sure anyone rates Itandje, Carson may be the second choice if he's happy being that

So we're talking maybe as many as 10-12 new players if we replace anyone on the basis we need quality and also want to replace anyone who isn't first choice or as good as they were a season or more ago. Nobody says he should stay forever, you just can't change the squad en masse like you might on a football management game and expect to win the league. He's more than adequate for playing RB against bottom half sides, just because people are suggesting we might not need to "move Finnan" doesn't mean he features heavily as 1st choice RB

I see what your saying about the mass player transfer. We are in a pickle at the minute and who we buy this year will go a long way to deciding our future course in the league. We cant go and buy all the players we need but a few decent signings here and there and we will be closer.

Chelsea and Man u will strenghen in the summer as they always will, we need to do the same and a big problem is our full backs! Wingers also. I think buying in those positions is our priority.
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby Dante » Thu May 15, 2008 3:52 am

I'd happily take Finnan as back up for Evra.

I honestly don't think there is a better Right Back at Liverpool right now. If he's going to be replaced, you need to buy. This season he played far less games, and I'd expect him to get about 30 again next season.

If no replacement comes in, I'd definitely want his experience in Europe
Dante

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion