Steve finnan - Time up?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Thingy » Mon May 12, 2008 2:14 am

Finnan has been a great servant for us for a good few years now. Solid, good going forward and defensively, and played a vital part in our defence for several seasons. The key word there was " played". Is his time up, is he over the hill? With Arbeloa solid, young and versatile, and us in for Rafina or somebody if rumours are to be believed, is Finnans stint as us over? Hes 32 now, losing pace ect all the usual things players do when there that age. I like him alot, but Im not sure he can cut it anymore. What does the future hold for Finnan at LFC?
Thingy

Postby account deleted by request » Mon May 12, 2008 2:32 am

At best he should be considered backup next season, certainly I would hope that we acquire someone a little better for first choice next season.

Sad, but time catches up with all players sooner or later, and I think its caught up with Finnan now.
account deleted by request

Postby Rush Job » Mon May 12, 2008 2:33 am

Yes i think he will leave, if a club comes in for him that is after all we need the money and im sure the yanks will want a player off the wage bill before another in the same possition comes in, and imo we need another.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Mon May 12, 2008 5:28 am

It's funny, but before Rafa stopped playing him everyone (I think) reckoned he was
a quality full back.

I cant think of when or what he did wrong, to be honest.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Mon May 12, 2008 7:50 am

s@int wrote:At best he should be considered backup next season, certainly I would hope that we acquire someone a little better for first choice next season.

Sad, but time catches up with all players sooner or later, and I think its caught up with Finnan now.

if finnan is the benchmark for when a player is past it, then sami hyypia shouldve gone 2 seasons ago  ???
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon May 12, 2008 8:03 am

Judge wrote:
s@int wrote:At best he should be considered backup next season, certainly I would hope that we acquire someone a little better for first choice next season.

if finnan is the benchmark for when a player is past it, then sami hyypia shouldve gone 2 seasons ago  ???

You may not have noticed - but he did! Agger came in and took over his position, and when Agger got injured we had to go out and buy Skrtel as a replacement. Hyypia is a great backup an had a great season, but he is no longer a first choice player.
account deleted by request

Postby parchpea » Mon May 12, 2008 9:18 am

I think in the modern game you need more athletic full backs with pace, and whilst Finnan, and Riise for that matter, are decent steady defenders in the main they do not offer what  players like Evra, Clichy, Cole and the likes do at other clubs.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby andy_g » Mon May 12, 2008 9:22 am

like effes said, its weird because i remember that last season on this very forum the  majority of posters were saying how finnan was among the best right backs in the league, was mr 100% dependable and was one of the teams great unsung heroes. now he's the forgotten man and most people believe its time he moved on. football is certainly a fickle b@stard, eh? :D

to me he looks more like a demoralised player than one who is past it. i remember him being a player who always gave us great width on the overlap when we went forward but who was always back in his defensive position when necessary. i'd like him to stay as back up or, to be more accurate and in line with the rafa type view, as an option.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon May 12, 2008 9:33 am

Depending on how long he has left on his contract I'd hang onto him. As with Sammi , you never know when you might have to fall back on a past their best but vastly experienced reserve.

btw Anybody got a list of the contract situation for all of our players ?

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Judge » Mon May 12, 2008 9:34 am

s@int wrote:
Judge wrote:

You may not have noticed - but he did! Agger came in and took over his position, and when Agger got injured we had to go out and buy Skrtel as a replacement. Hyypia is a great backup an had a great season, but he is no longer a first choice player.

i think finnan has more in the tank than hyypia. that was my point, even if not directly inferred the first time around
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Mon May 12, 2008 9:48 am

I'd go along with the general feeling that he is a good back up, and we should go and strengthen that position this summer. Although I do not feel that it is a priority - I'd put the RB position around 4th/5th on the list of priority signings (with LB, LW, RW and a FW up there as well). Lets not forget do also have Arbeloa who can do a job there as well

Its already being debated in another thread that degan may/may not be good enough (if he does sign)  And already this morning, chelsea's weakest area has been stregthened with £16.2mil purchase of Bosingwa (not confirmed but very very likely). So if we can go out a get a Top quality RB (like Alves) then all well and good, but if not, I think Arbeloa and Finnan can do a job there for another season, whilst we focus on strengthen other areas of the team
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon May 12, 2008 2:37 pm

been a great player for us but i'd be inclined to move him on in the summer if we get a decent offer, assuming that arbeloa is happy here.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Judge » Mon May 12, 2008 2:48 pm

stmichael wrote:been a great player for us but i'd be inclined to move him on in the summer if we get a decent offer, assuming that arbeloa is happy here.

sell him to fulham  :D
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Mon May 12, 2008 2:51 pm

Given a choice i'd pick an ageing finnan over arbeloa anyday . Arbeloa at best is a sub . Yesterday against spurs , an experienced player like keane managed to con a corner out of him , he's too small built and gets pushed off the ball easily . His ball control and going forward is good but his crossing is bad and he ball watches .

As for Finnan , yes i do think his time maybe up but he should stay as a backup next season as he is a solid right back to have , far better then arbeloa . We do need a good right back next season , rafinha , daniel alves type and we could keep finnan and maybe arbeloa as back ups
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Mon May 12, 2008 2:54 pm

Redman in wales wrote:Its already being debated in another thread that degan may/may not be good enough (if he does sign)  And already this morning, chelsea's weakest area has been stregthened with £16.2mil purchase of Bosingwa (not confirmed but very very likely). So if we can go out a get a Top quality RB (like Alves) then all well and good, but if not, I think Arbeloa and Finnan can do a job there for another season, whilst we focus on strengthen other areas of the team

Chelsea have signed boswinga its confirmed ,  he's now at stamford bridge gonna undergo a medical and decide personal terms
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion