SHEFFIELD UNITED VS LIVERPOOL - the premiership assault begins

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LFCFan4Life » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:06 pm

stmichael wrote:
bigmick wrote:One last thought. On saturday Liverpool play West Ham at home in an early kick off. Failure to win that one (and it's by no means a certainty) would mean that Man U would need to beat Watford away (an absolute certainty) and Chelsea would have to beat Blackburn away (a distinct probability) to open up a four point gap on us. Our next two games after that are Everton, then Chelsea. Tell me, just who is under pressure here, us or Manchester United and Chelsea.

Last season Chelsea couldn't even beat Everton home and away. They lost 3-0 to Boro, dropped 2 points to Villa who were awful last year, lost to Fulham, dropped points against Charlton and were lucky to beat Wigan and even struggled against Sunderland. I hardly see going to Boro and Blackburn as a formality. On a similar level, Manure have to now play three games without Rooney and Scholes.

Fair points raised, but what Mick is saying that obviously we would had been better off with three points. Especially with the upcomming games we have on the fixture list.
You'll Never Walk Alone drummerphil
LFCFan4Life
LFC Super Member

Postby Anfield rapper » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:08 pm

bigmick wrote:All this "the title isn't won on the first day of the season" is just silly talk in my opinion. If the first few games don't matter then why bother fielding anything like our strongest team. Let's lost the first six because it doesn't matter, titles aren't won in August.

while it might be true that you wouldn't be terminally put out of the race in the few games, it would be interesting to hear at what point people felt the title race was all over last season. My opinion was it all over bar the shouting after about 8 games. The only chance we have of finishing in front of chelsea is to put them under pressure, keeping close to them. You can't do that from six or seven points behind.

One last thought. On saturday Liverpool play West Ham at home in an early kick off. Failure to win that one (and it's by no means a certainty) would mean that Man U would need to beat Watford away (an absolute certainty) and Chelsea would have to beat Blackburn away (a distinct probability) to open up a four point gap on us. Our next two games after that are Everton, then Chelsea. Tell me, just who is under pressure here, us or Manchester United and Chelsea.

It started with the lacklustre display at home in the Cl qualifier, backed up by some baffling selections. It finished with a similarly disjointed performance and selection on Saturday and we have potentially dropped ourselves in the sh!te. First game of the season my erse. I said the same when we drew with Birmingham away last season when we started with one up front (as we did in the CL game against Haifa), you can't afford to drop points against teams which will be relegated, which Sheffield United certainly will.

The other thing is that Man U and Chelsea both play on Wednesday night as well. So if we only manage a draw against west ham theres a good chance we will be 7 points down with a game in hand.
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby 48-1119859832 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:26 pm

stmichael wrote:Last season Chelsea couldn't even beat Everton home and away. They lost 3-0 to Boro, dropped 2 points to Villa who were awful last year, lost to Fulham, dropped points against Charlton and were lucky to beat Wigan and even struggled against Sunderland. I hardly see going to Boro and Blackburn as a formality. On a similar level, Manure have to now play three games without Rooney and Scholes.

You're correct, but we shouldn't be relying on Chelsea, Arsenal and United to slip up, we should be focusing on our team and our results and making sure we field our strongest eleven when we get the chance to,obviously injuries and suspensions as well as being tired will come into play at stages in the season, we should try and win every match and not under-estimate smaller teams and not take our foot off the gas when we go one or two goals up, nor should we setp up the gas when we are trailing by a goal.

If we are to win the league we must capitalise on the other top teams mistakes and dropped points.
48-1119859832

Postby Lando_Griffin » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:44 am

WHat I want to know is why that crock of sh*te Warnock was chatting sh*te to all and sundry saying it wasn't a penalty. I was right behind the goal. I saw the contact, but wanted to see the TV replays incase my eyes were playing tricks on me.

They weren't.

Jagielka made contact with Gerrard's trailing foot, which resulted in  a loss of balance and a poor shot.

How can anyone in their right mind say it wasn't a penalty?

He's just a mouthy tw*t with no brain.

Always has been, even back when he managed Notts County.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:20 am

No worries.

Warnock will only last one season.

Teams wearing red and white stripes in the Premiership are cursed.

Scientifically proven.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:08 am

peewee wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:
0asis wrote:I don't think it's a knee-jerk reaction to be bitterly disappointed with the result

I agree with you Oasis . It sometimes seems however that if you express any negative feeling about our team,players or performance , you're immediately labelled a "a doom monger" or "doom mugger " (as one of our erudite members put it lol) . If the happy clappy brigade want to console themselves by endlessly repeating "The title isn't won on the first day etc etc etc "ad nauseum, fair enough . The title certainly isn't won on the first day , that doesn't however disguise the fact that Saturdays result very disappointing.
But for a very dubuios penalty we'd have p'iss takers coming out of the woodwork . I'm amazed at how some people have just swallowed it.

:kungfu:

my sentiments exactly woof, if you go back through the thread you can see my thoughts on the game, in fact the word i used was 'shambles'.

when i was younger i would always defend everything about the club and look for excuses. as i matured i am able to say it exactly how it is. it doesnt mean i dont love the club, it just means i am more prepared to call it a shambles when it so obviously was a shambles.

people stop making excuses for what was obviously a poor performance, its not ok to draw games against poor oposition.

on another point why were we the only team from last seasons top 4 to play away

I'll call it as I see it, if we play poor then I'll air my opinions and visa- versa. We played poor on saturday and dropped two points. But they way some people go on, as if its all ready over lets moan and whinge and give up type of thing.
Are they waiting for Liverpool to drop points ? Some people only rear there heads when we lose, and I wonder whether they sit there in anticiaption to snipe.
There certainly not around and as vocal when we win to share there opinions.
I'm not sitting here clouded by excuses as to why we were poor, but at the same time I'm not going to be part of the razor blade brigade.

Someone also said saying that the league isnt won on the opening day of the season is silly. I think that comment in itself is rather silly personally. There is still another 111 points to be played for.
On top of this six new players have been brought in and will all need to bed down, this isnt going to happen over a couple of games in pre-season. Plus there are some key players still some way short of match fitness due to the WC.
So I dont expect the performances to be top notch so early on but I'd like us never the less to grind out the results until some co-hesion is found.

Also realisticly, put your hand up if you genuinly believe in your heart of hearts we're going to win the league this year ?
Again I'm not going to expect miracles from the squad or the manager, Chelsea are still some way out there and I think pushing them even harder and claiming second will be a significant improvement.
66-1112520797

Postby aCe' » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:21 am

i must say its a little frustrating reading what some have to say in this thread !
All the "its not the end of the world" andd.... "111 points to be won"...etc ... no one ever said it was the end of the world or that we are out of contention for the title ! its just that we were not suppposed to draw against sheff. because IT IS results like the one we are talking about that make the difference between league champions and chamionsleague seat contenders ! liverpool come into this season as title contenders and despite us still lagging when it comes to the quality of our players...i still think that if we manage to win against the smaller teams and do well against the top clubs... we have one hell of a chance of winning that title ! its not about the loss of two points... not about the craapppy display ...  just that we need to get to the winning ways as soon as possible if we are to win the title or even push chelsea for it !
aaaannd by the way... saying that "the league is not won in the opening day" IS silly !
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion