Benitez clearout... - Planning a cull for premiership assault

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ivor_the_injun » Fri May 27, 2005 10:28 am

For me, Kirkland (if Reina is coming) and Kewell would be on the list to go, were it not for the fact that they're currently injured and wouldn't make it through a fitness test. I know that Kirkland has the years and the potential ahead of him, but Dudek's done enough to warrant keeping him now. I'm sure Smicer would've gone in January had he not been injured at the time.

There's certainly a sizeable cull ahead, that's for sure. And I tell you what, there's nothing like the kudos of being Champions League winners to attract a player that's being courted by more than one club. :D

Can't wait to see what Benitez has in store for us. He's already shown that he's a shrewd, no-messing dealer.
ivor_the_injun

Postby el_stinger » Fri May 27, 2005 10:39 am

Apart from bringing in Pelle, that was disastrous
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Fri May 27, 2005 10:45 am

I think, in time, Pellegrino will we useful on the coaching side. As a player he's never really been at the races though, I agree.

At least he's kept Hyypia fresh though. I still think Sami has a big role at the club, but maybe he needs the odd game on the sidelines so that he can still be good for a big push at the end of a long season. I'd like to see Whitbread get a run at some point - I've liked what I've seen of him.
ivor_the_injun

Postby dawson99 » Fri May 27, 2005 10:48 am

rafa said his main players are: stevie, carra, hypia, xabi and luis.

whos gone?
will biscan and hamman go? i think they might :(
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Liverpool_Fan » Fri May 27, 2005 11:11 am

All i can say is he has to get rid of Traore , sorry to say it , yes he and all the rest of the players won us the European Cup but he is mince.  I can see Rafa raiding his former club Valencia and bringing players like  Baraja and Vicente
Liverpool_Fan

Postby lfclfclfc » Fri May 27, 2005 12:09 pm

hyypia will never be as domineering as he was 3 years ago. however, apart from dealing with pacy and maurading forwards, he is still rock solid in the air. coupled with his positioning sense, he can do a job for us next season or two. if the right replacement is available, someone young and with good speed should partner carra at the heart of our defence.

deadwood in defence: pellegrino, josemi

as for the keepers, i am still pretty much undecided between dudek and kirkland. for all his supposed potential, kirkland has failed to give confidence between te poles. dudek despite his recent heroics, is still prone to errors. he's not getting any younger either. get reina and give young carson a chance.

to go: kirkland, dudek, luzi

midfield seems pretty straight forward to me: smicer (a good time to move on), biscan, partridge, potter, smyth, diao, diouf and of course, mr kewell.

for up front, baros (attitude), pongolle (lack the physique to compete) and mellor (sadly, can't make the cut for premiership) should go. i am not decided on cisse, given his injury, he should get a chance to prove himself before the jury decides. however, he just doesn't look like a 20-goal striker (i'll be glad if he proves me wrong!)
lfclfclfc

Postby el_stinger » Fri May 27, 2005 1:18 pm

If it wasnt for Pongo, we certainly might not have been in the last 16 of the Champs League, he turned it on its head when he came on, from what I've seen, he is an awesome forward and will cause trouble for the defence for some time, dont forget he is young, and has a lot to learn, but id keep Pongo.
el_stinger
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Fri May 27, 2005 1:28 pm

lfclfclfc wrote:for up front, baros (attitude), pongolle (lack the physique to compete)

not agreeing with you at all there, mate. for me pongo is one who has to stay - he was starting to look electric at times before he got injured. i don't see how you can say he doesn't have the physique... he's much more powerful than say...errr... michael owen for example. and he has enough tricks and technique up his sleeve to make physique a less imprtant issue anyway.

but as far as milan and neil are concerned... cheers lads, tara.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lfclfclfc » Fri May 27, 2005 1:54 pm

andy_g wrote:
lfclfclfc wrote:for up front, baros (attitude), pongolle (lack the physique to compete)

not agreeing with you at all there, mate. for me pongo is one who has to stay - he was starting to look electric at times before he got injured. i don't see how you can say he doesn't have the physique... he's much more powerful than say...errr... michael owen for example. and he has enough tricks and technique up his sleeve to make physique a less imprtant issue anyway.

but as far as milan and neil are concerned... cheers lads, tara.

while i agree that pongolle is young and has a reasonable upside, he is perhaps not what we are looking for in a striker. he is a little stronger than mo but it doesn't give him any edge over defenders. mo's lack of physique is made up by pace, instincts/eye for goal and deadly accuracy. frankly speaking i just don't see them in the same league.

if rafa is to adopt a five-men midfield, i don't see his chances up front as the out and out striker. his chances to behind the striker would be restricted too, behind garcia & moro. right flank, as we have seen him operate for some games? i dunno about that...

if another striker is to arrive in the mould of kuyt or johnson, he'd be further down the packing order.  :oh: i mean if he is willing to wait for his chance, and contribute as a squd player, fair. but break out year for him soon? unlikely.
lfclfclfc

Postby andy_g » Fri May 27, 2005 2:02 pm

lfclfclfc wrote:while i agree that pongolle is young and has a reasonable upside, he is perhaps not what we are looking for in a striker. he is a little stronger than mo but it doesn't give him any edge over defenders. mo's lack of physique is made up by pace, instincts/eye for goal and deadly accuracy. frankly speaking i just don't see them in the same league.

if rafa is to adopt a five-men midfield, i don't see his chances up front as the out and out striker. his chances to behind the striker would be restricted too, behind garcia & moro. right flank, as we have seen him operate for some games? i dunno about that...

if another striker is to arrive in the mould of kuyt or johnson, he'd be further down the packing order.  :oh: i mean if he is willing to wait for his chance, and contribute as a squd player, fair. but break out year for him soon? unlikely.

i think we're mostly in agreement here, though i think pongo is abetter playing than maybe you're giving him credit for. he's not about to break into the regular starting line up any time soon but would be a highly valuable squad player. he can come on and change things - we've seen it happen - he can score goals and play in a variety of attacking positions, making him an ideal squad player. he's young and getting better and better, different, causes problems and is unpredictable. even if he stays here a couple more seasons only playing a handful of starts and a few more appearances as sub he'll serve us well and his stock will rise. personally i think that in time he can become a kop hero.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby pompeykopite » Fri May 27, 2005 2:09 pm

News down here on the south coast is that Portsmouth's Gary O'neil is being targeted by the reds in a £4million swoop!! He's not bad, but he's not that good!!! ???
pompeykopite

Postby lfclfclfc » Fri May 27, 2005 2:20 pm

a kop hero with a cute little pouch!!  :D  agree that he'll be a valuable squad player.  but equating to the likes of chelsea and barcelona, he's not one for the starting XI.
lfclfclfc

Postby stmichael » Fri May 27, 2005 2:24 pm

give hamann a new contract immediately. the guy is an absolute legend and should be kept at all costs. if he seriously wants to go to bolton he needs his head examined.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Judge » Fri May 27, 2005 2:33 pm

lfclfclfc wrote:a kop hero with a cute little pouch!! 

wtf ??
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lfclfclfc » Fri May 27, 2005 2:50 pm

The Return of the Judge wrote:
lfclfclfc wrote:a kop hero with a cute little pouch!! 

wtf ??

watch the celebrations after lifting the cup. pongolle (the potential kop-hero according to andy) was this jumpy fella with a cute little pouch round his neck. thot he look kinda strange.  :D
lfclfclfc

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion