Rivaldo - He admits discussions

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby simic_ie » Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:34 pm

I see on planetfootball.com Rivaldo admits to having discussions with Liverpool about a possible move in the New Year. What do you think about this. Is it a good move, or are would we just bringing in a mercenary looking to finish out his career. Would a player of hs experience help the yonger players in the squad or would he be a disruptive influence. Considering he was one of the best players in the last World Cup could he still come and do a job or has he diminshed that much in a season and a half.
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:40 pm

Bring him on.  I've written posts about this player before and I think, given past experience e.g McAllister, Litmanen, used sparingly or not, he could be very effective.  I've said before, weigh the situation up fully first.  Imagine we knocked back the chance to take this player and then he went and signed for another team and lit the Premier League up along the way, scoring plenty of goals.  It would be a crime.  Jurgen Klinnsmann scored around the 25 goal mark for Tottenham nearly 10 years ago, well after his prime.  The man cannot be finished.  Dont rule out Rivaldo.
jonnymac1979

Postby greenred » Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:15 pm

rivaldo could be dynamite at anfield.I read an article about this guy a couple of years ago where he mentioned the clubs he admired.barcelona,real.the two milans,juventus and yes you guessed it liverpool.He wanted to play for us some day.
on a free rivaldo is worth the risk.imagine bringing him on as a sub against man u,twenty minutes to go.the neville brothers would s##t themselves.
as a former world player of the year on a free transfer,his wages are just about tolerable.
its not much of a risk is it?
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Mark_Walters » Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:50 pm

Okay this shouldn't even be a discussion. We're not Real Madrid or god forbid Chelsea, so how can people have a discussion about not signing a world class player like Rivaldo. Personally i couldnt give a damn what his motives are, we as fans are getting robbed by mediocre rubbish on fat contracts, Smicer, Heskey, Biscan, etc. U get the point yet.

Rivaldo signing would force one of those players who I loathe to watch in a red jersey, out of the team, and that would be good enough for me.
Mark_Walters

Postby Cleman » Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:46 am

bring him on.

as a striker, he is better than heskey
as a midfielder, he is better than smicer

why not?
Cleman

Postby JBG » Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:07 pm

People, people, people..... :D

Rivaldo showed serious decline in Spain in 2001/02, and Barcelona let him go, where he previously was a god.

I can't believe how people say that Rivaldo was one of the best players in the World Cup of 2002. He was a passenger in most of the games I saw, and it was Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Kleberson, Gilberto, Cafu and Roberto Carlos that won the trophy for Brazil. Rivaldo's impact wasn't that big.

He stuggled in Italy and didn't get many starts for Milan where Carlo Ancelotti's squad rotation would embarass even Claudio Ranieri, and the Italian press concluded that he was past it.

Rivaldo is saying these kind of things to the press in order to generate some interest in him in the hope of getting one last big pay cheque. The best he can hope for is someone like Galatassaray, and will probably have to settle for playing in the Middle East or America. Houllier already ruled out signing him in the summer.

There might be a chance that he has one last good season in him, but is it really worth the gamble paying him £100grand a week and see him struggle to match the pace of the Premiership, fall out with Houllier and upset further an already disturbed camp?

Where would we play him? He plays in the same position as Kewell.

I think we would be better off signing a player proven in the Premiership, not some guy who wants one last big pay day.

McAllister knew that he was coming to Liverpool to help nurture the younger players and was prepared to spend time on the bench. Rivaldo would want the team to play through him and be the club's superstar.

It would be an enrmous gamble to sign him.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Neo# » Fri Nov 14, 2003 1:36 pm

We should sign him on a year's contract and just see how it works out. He would be an exciting player to bring to Anfield.
Neo#

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri Nov 14, 2003 2:22 pm

I heard a few weeks ago that we had a interest in Rivaldo, then on Monday I heard we had already started discussions.

In the summer Houllier said we had no interest in signing him and he wasen't Houllier's type of player.  But now I have been told there is a 90% chance we could get him in January or even earlier if Milan agree to let him go on a free and FIFA clear the deal.

So how come Houllier changed his mind? Well I was told by the same source that Christian Damiano, our first team head coach is behind it, he has alredy changed the way we play, and he is now having a growing influence in transfers.  It is well known that Houllier has the highest respect for him and tried to get him before he went to Fulham.

On the subject of Rivaldo, I think he is a wondefull player who is truely in the World Class category, if we intend to play him up along side Owen I think we should get him.  He left Barclelona because he coulden't get on with their president, but Barcelona have a histroy of treating players badly.

I think he is worth the risk, and am sure we will get him.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:17 pm

I still say he's passed it.

Next thing is that people will want to sign Batitusta as well. :D

Does anybody actually follow European football closely? Just because Rivlado was possibly the best player in the world four years ago doesn't mean that he still has it... :laugh:

I reckon that a proven centre forward is more important than signing a guy who is arguably now less of a player than Harry Kewell.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby greenred » Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:24 pm

nottingham forest won two european cups with a load of players that people said were past it.
on a free transfer and similar wages to owen he is worth the risk.
ImageImageImage
greenred
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Sat Nov 15, 2003 12:38 am

Liverpool dismiss rumours as a load of rubbish.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby LiverpoolFC_Kopite » Sat Nov 15, 2003 2:45 pm

There is no substitute for class. Even if he's past his prime, he easily is better thabn Smicer, Heskey. I'd know I'd rather have a former World Player of the Year than current Donkey of the Decade. He'd make an impact on the team, being such a great player and if he took a pay cut, Kermit would stupid to say no, if not then lets get Djbril Cisse, more than competent goalscorer, him and Owen upfront, pure pace and deadly finishers. Then when Owen's gone off to Madrid to sit on the bench just in order to get easy success, Cisse and Baros, both young lads, promising players with pace.
LiverpoolFC_Kopite

Postby JBG » Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:46 pm

LiverpoolFC_Kopite wrote:if not then lets get Djbril Cisse, more than competent goalscorer, him and Owen upfront, pure pace and deadly finishers.

I think you might be falling for some of Houllier's propaganda there.

Cisse is overrated and is yet another of these so called fantastic prospects to come from France who are all hype but no substance. In the two matches against us last season for Auxerre he was poor, he has struggled to get even a run out as a sub for the French national team after being declared the new Henry back in 2001/02, and his goalscoring record in French football is alright, but hardly sensational.

He has also struggled to make an impact in European competitions for Auxerre.

I would prefer a more proven goalscrorer who has Premiership experience.

Showing good form in French football is not a good indicator of how good a plater is: Diouff, Diao and Cheyrou were all massive stars in France and look what has happened with them.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby redandblue » Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:32 pm

I wouldn't take Rivaldo. He'd be on a massive salary and probably only around for a year. I think that he's past it. Well past it. After all his dabblings in the transfer market, surely GH knows that he needs a settled side. Not mercenaries coming in to Anfield for a last pay day.

Apart for Michael Owen, and Gerrard on his day, we are short of exceptional players. Rivaldo, alas, is no longer an exceptional player. If he was that good, he would be of interest to really good teams like United, Chesea, Real, or others who are looking to qualify for the next round of the Champions Cup.

It says a lot about Liverpool as well as Rivaldo that we would consider him. Or that he would consider us.
redandblue
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:40 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:I still say he's passed it.

Next thing is that people will want to sign Batitusta as well. :D

Does anybody actually follow European football closely? Just because Rivlado was possibly the best player in the world four years ago doesn't mean that he still has it... :laugh:

I reckon that a proven centre forward is more important than signing a guy who is arguably now less of a player than Harry Kewell.

Absolutely spot on! We need to build a balanced squad of experience and youth and should never write off the older player but we have far too many players with potential and not enough quality. Rivaldo was quality and Milan don't want to know so there must be something going on there, they are reigning Champions of Europe ffs. We should have kept Anelka in my opinion, he has achieved things in the Premiership and is still young which is what we need. Having players who may or not be exceptional in a few years time is no good now, having players who did things three or four years ago is no good either.

I'd actually take Kewell over Rivaldo anyday and was a bit of a Rivaldo fan (like I was of Romario but I wouldn't sign him now either)
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion