The solution to the right wing?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:05 am

FLO BACK WITH A GOAL IN RESERVES DEFEAT
Steve Hunter at Wrexham 16 August 2005
Florent Sinama-Pongolle made a scoring return for Liverpool Reserves after seven months out in the Reds 3-2 defeat to Everton, in the first second string match of the season at Wrexham's Racecourse Ground.
Sinama-Pongolle entered the field as a 50th minute substitute to make his first appearance for the Reds since injuring his knee in the Carling Cup semi-final win at Watford on January 25th.

The France Under-21 star played on the right wing and was absolutely superb. He was so sharp and almost single handedly rescued a point for a Liverpool team which had at one stage been 3-0 down and Everton had missed a penalty. Right wing is a position that seems comfortable for Sinama-Pongolle and he can take players on and cause havoc. The watching Rafael Benitez will have been pleased to see him back in action.

Reds midfielder Danny Guthrie scored a superb individual goal to make it 3-2 but it was too little too late for Liverpool. Everton also ended the game with 10 men after James Harris was sent-off.

Liverpool's chief scout Paco Herrera is in charge of the Reserves this season with Hughie McAuley as reserve coach.

Both teams fielded young players with Liverpool giving debuts to centre half Jack Hobbs, Spanish right back Antonio Barragan and Ghana defender Godwin Antwi. Spanish centre half Miquel Roque couldn't play as he is waiting for international clearance.

With Paul Harrison and Patrice Luzi leaving the club in the summer the goalkeeping responsibilities for the new reserve season will fall to Northern Ireland youth international Paul Willis.

In order to fit all the players into the team on the night a few were in different positions. Godwin Antwi is a centre half but because of a striker shortage had to play up front while Hobbs was asked to play a new role just in front of the back four, in the Didi Hamann role if you like. Lee Peltier, one of the new Melwood recruits from the Academy this summer is normally a central midfielder, but had to play left back. Peltier hasn't played for over nine months due to a back problem so he will have been grateful to get a game under his belt.

Zak Whitbread captained the team and partnered Danny O'Donnell at centre half.

Until the introduction of Sinama-Pongolle Everton were causing all sorts of problems in the air and were 3-0 up inside the opening 50 minutes with all three goals coming from set pieces.

Everton winger Bjarni Vidarsson scored the first two goals both from headers. The first one came after seven minutes when Vidarsson headed home Christian Seargeant's left wing free-kick.

It was 2-0 after 37 minutes when Vidarsson headed home right back Stephen Wynne's cross.

A minute into the second half Everton missed a penalty. A mistake from Danny O'Donnell let in Victor Anichebe who was brought down by Zak Whitbread. Liverpool keeper Paul Willis made a superb save to keep out Mark Hughes spot kick.

However a minute later it was 3-0 and another set piece goal. Hughes was allowed a free header at the back post and nodded it across goal for the unmarked Anichebe to head home.

That was the cue for Paco Herrera to bring on Florent Sinama-Pongolle after 50 minutes and the French star transformed the team almost single handedly. He inspired all around him and Liverpool began to play and looked a real threat every time they attacked.

Within five minutes of coming on Sinama-Pongolle made it 3-1 with a fine header from David Mannix's free-kick. Sinama-Pongolle had won the free-kick himself with some great work down the right wing.

Josemi was then introduced on the hour mark for Peltierand played at centre half and was very competitive making several crunching tackles.

With Sinama-Pongolle causing all sorts of problems Liverpool were a different side. He set up a great chance for Godwin Antwi who shot wide then Liverpool went so close after 66 minutes. Antonio Barragan, who looks a very promising player down the right hand side, whipped in a great cross which Richard Wright couldn't hold under a challenge from Antwi and Hughes headed clear from the line.

Zak Whitbread then headed just over the bar from a corner and Sinama-Pongolle had a shot deflected just wide after a great run when he beat three defenders.

With five minutes remaining Danny Guthrie made it 3-2 with a great shot fired into the corner of the net giving Wright no chance.

Everton were then reduced to 10 men when James Harris was shown a red card for dissent after a brawl.

Sinama-Pongolle went close for the Reds in stoppage time but there was to be no comeback in the mini derby as Everton beat Liverpool at Wrexham for the second successive season.

As far as the new boys are concerned Godwin Antwi worked hard but it is unfair to make any judgement yet because he is a centre half in a new country playing as a lone striker. That is a difficult role but he kept working hard which was a good sign. He also showed some neat touches with some good lay-offs for team-mates.

Antonio Barragan did well at right back. He has skill, can beat opponents and looks a very decent prospect.

Jack Hobbs played in a new role too and worked hard. He certainly likes a tackle and was constantly shouting encouragement to his team-mates.

The biggest positive on the night for the watching Benitez was seeing Sinama-Pongolle back in action after seven months out. Flo gives the Reds boss a number ofdifferent possibilities as is comfortable playing up front or on the right hand side.

If we don't sign a right winger, could Pongolle be the answer to the problems on the right? And if we sign one having a player like Pongolle who can play well on the right gives us another option and possibility. Either way it doesn't sound too bad.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:07 am

true enough. I'd say he the closest we've got to a winger.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby XSD » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:57 am

He looked good on the wing vs arsenal. I remember Benitez playing the system against arsenal when we had a lot of injuries,
Alonso Hamann
      Gerrard
Pongolle Kewell
       Mellor

Put players like Zenden, Cisse and Sissoko in it could be a very good formation :>
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby L-type » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:24 am

If my memory serves me he caused havoc to arsenal, but his best moment i can recall if it was indeed him, was when he was on the left wing against Viera someone else with possession, when he cut back towards goal and left both of them for dead.  Hope to see more of him this season, as he surely is a exciting prospect.
Last edited by L-type on Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gracias King Rafa » Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:44 am

It was Vieira & Llungberg that he took to the cleaners(it's shown on the Season Review DVD),which prompted another pearl of wisdom from our own closet Kopite Andy Gray "I don't think Patrick Vieira should be allowed back on till he buys a ticket!" :D
Gracias King Rafa

Postby Chelsea forever. » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:49 am

Bayern Munich midfielder Hasan Salihamidzic has admitted he is flattered to be linked with a move to Liverpool.

The Bosnia-Herzegovina international has emerged as a transfer target for Liverpool, as they continue their search for more players before the close of the transfer window.

Reds boss Rafa Benitez has made a new right-sided winger one of his top targets after being frustrated in his attempts to sign Luis Figo and Stelios Giannakopoulos.

Benitez is now believed to have switched his attentions to Salihamidzic.

The 28-year-old still has two years to run on his contract at Bayern, but the German champions may listen to offers for the player, as they have a surplus of midfielders at the club.

Salihamidzic admitted he would be interested in a move to Anfield and is waiting to see if they follow up their interest.

"I have heard about interest from Liverpool and it is a great honour for me," said Salihamidzic.

"But, of course, it is not up to me. It is up to the two clubs to decide."

Liverpool are also being linked with a shock move for Aston Villa ace Nolberto Solano.

The Reds are believed to have asked Villa for Solano as part of the deal to take Milan Baros to Villa Park.

Solano is thought to be considering his future at Villa and he would jump at the chance to move to Anfield and the prospect of UEFA Champions League action.
Chelsea forever.

Postby H_K_LFC » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:14 am

personally a wud rather see Salihamidzic come 2 anfield rather than solano and Salihamidzic has got champions league experience so he knows wot its like 2 play at the highest level
H_K_LFC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red Red Tom » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:40 am

I rate Solano, after the two 4-3 games against Newcastle thier next visit was 4-2, KHR and MO got two each in the last twenty minutes - brilliant match, but Solano ran our defence ragged and bagged himself a goal.  I know that Salihamidzic has CL experience and all that - but Solano can cut it in the Premiership, and if we can get him included in the Baros deal; I would suggest that is the better option.

Tom
Red Red Tom

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:43 am

Salahamidzic would be a great signing, he's an excellent right midfield player as he has both good attacking and defenisve qualities. He can play right back too if we were short there.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gaunt » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:39 am

I'd prefer to buy Solano and to use Pongolle on the right wing too. Hopefully next season then after more experience  Pongolle would be ready to be our main right winger then as Solano is only a short term solution.
Gaunt

Postby jammydodger » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:46 am

Salihamidzic - more experience, better defensive qualities

and if Solano comes we will miss out on some cash for Baros...
jammydodger

Postby gary106 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:52 am

id say salihamidzic over solano to be honest. solano is aging now i think and will show it. why buy a player for one season? it doesnt make sense, both financially and then with the club having to do exactly the same next season. i think FSP would be great on the right (better than cisse anyway) everyones cracking on about SWP being the best right sided midfield player in the EPL but whats to stop FSP challenging him, he';s got the ability, pace, skill, takent, as soon as he gets some experience and improves his crossing i think he'll be an excellent player
gary106

Postby red37 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:53 am

chelsea mate.. can you stop giving us "secret" info over liverpool f.c, most of the time your late with this GOSSIP anyway. some of it may well come to fruition, but as it stands seeing as how your OWN club have just about finished shopping this transfer window...essien apart. i think you should return to the shed, and report, that you have failed in your mission to spread gloom and doom in the enemy camp, and the enemy is indeed, like the daleks, LOOMING! and ready to repel allcomers!!

:D

seriously tho, surely your fellow (comrades) at CFC would probably prefer it if you were adding to their own discussions about your OWN club and how the hell it can keep itself from becoming a joke................because it is. with every sheckel spent.

checkmate   :;):

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby A.B. » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:31 pm

Both Solano and Salihamidzic are 28 years of age and if it's possible I would get both of them.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby stmichael » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:35 pm

i've been saying for a year that pongolle could make a decent right winger given an extended run of games there. he reminds me a lot of SWP in terms of his physique and his ability to run at players. last year he played there a few times, notably in a 4-2-3-1 both against arsenal at home and away at everton. my only reservation would be whether he cans cross a decent ball or not.

certainly beats putting cisse there anyway. that's just a complete waste of cisse's ability.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion