Right wing solution - I know you'll slag me

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby vlady16.1 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:26 am

okay hear me out -- tottenham is going after becks on the cheap -- were a disaster on the right side and face it he isn't your fav but tell me that this isn't true

1) we need width -- he'll do it --i bet they dont have to fix the right touch line now between games

2) crossing the ball -FROM THE RIGHT -- who is better

3) set pieces -- that hit the net and maybe go in -- who is better

4) he's no more aliability on the right than garcia or nunez -- notice how a great preponderance of the goal are scored from the right side on us -- i just can't count them

5)may help steve stay -- sven will chooke but that okay with me

before you just say never think hard -- i would rather have him cheap than let tottenham get him- tottenham who's improving and getting closer -- pongelle out we ain't got nobody wide right
vlady16.1

Postby the great one » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:30 am

Wages ? enough said
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:38 am

It'd never happen, and to be honest, nor should it.

First of all, he's not a right winger, he's a right sided midfielder. On a good day, right wingers take on the left back maybe half a dozen times during the course of a match. You'll do well to find footage of Beckham taking on defenders that many times during the course of an entire season - he's got absolutely nothing in his locker short of a playground hit and run, and any defender with even the slightest bit of pace can mop those up no problem.

Secondly, his game basically lives and dies on his delivery. When he's finding his range, he's a fantastic asset to a team, but this element of his game has gone seriously to pot over the last 18 months. Remember when Smurf suddenly found the opposition with even the simplest passes last year? Becks has been little better when he's played this year.

Thirdly, his tackling is still very, very suspect, and every time he returns from an injury he seems to commit more fouls because his pace - such as it is - is diminishing all the time, and he struggles to make up ground.

Fine, he can still hit a free kick, but is that attribute worth £100k a week? His goalscoring record says - hell no.

If we're going to talk right sided English midfielders worth having, the list pretty much starts and ends with Shaun Wright Phillips, and he's priced way out of our reach.
ivor_the_injun

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:41 am

excellent summary there ivor, SWP would be a better option due to the reasons you have listed, plus he is a hell of a lot younger. But can we afford him? unlikely.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby vlady16.1 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:50 am

you guys have hit the nail on the head -- swp is/will be great but if becks is as cheap as the word says wow

slow won't tackle yes
take on defenders -- only if they're more than 10' away --maybe

can cross the ball -- admit spain has not been good to him

set pieces majical and don't forget corners cause we suck at them

expensive yes but he will sell jerseys, team junk and raise the profile -- the man is a marketing machine so his wages have to be taken in the bigger picture -- swp will not make the team money like db nor will the asians and americans notice and that's where the marketing growth is -- he would give profile -- the name player who will excite the world not just liverpool
vlady16.1

Postby A.B. » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:51 am

SWP is the most overpriced player in the English football league.  25 million? Unbealivable.

Originaly I would had place Pongolle or Cisse as a winger for the time being but both are injured and we need somebody else other than Nunez.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby L-type » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:54 am

Yeah the man is a mney machine but unless you see him selling £60k worth of jersies each week I can't imagine it being worth it.
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:46 am

In answer to te idea that David Beckham should be one of our targets, which I would be in favor of, there are a number of problems that stand in the way.

1. Real Madrid would ask for at least £20m. Do we have that sort of money to spend on one player when we need to strengthen the whole squad.

2. Liverpool, despite it's efforts is not one of the greatest cosmopolitan cities in the world and if david doesn't care about that (which he does), we know that Victoria does. London or Milan are the only real possibilities if she has anything to do with it.

3. He is a former Man Ure player and he still supports them, will we ALL accept that and how will he feel when the derby comes up. We haven't seen him play against Man Ure since his move and some players can be funny about that sort of thing.

4. REAL WON'T SELL HIM!!! It's not about the manager at Real, it's all down to Perez and he loves his Galacticos. He still sees Beckham as one of the jewels in this crown and he is not going to give him up even if he doesn't play him. Besides, Beckham makes him so much money, why should he care if he moans.

It's a nice thought, a good idea but we're dreaming. He won't move, let's just hope Stevie doesn't go to join him. Nice post though, and a good conversation point.:)
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:14 am

vlady16.1 wrote:okay hear me out -- tottenham is going after becks on the cheap -- were a disaster on the right side and face it he isn't your fav but tell me that this isn't true

1) we need width -- he'll do it --i bet they dont have to fix the right touch line now between games

2) crossing the ball -FROM THE RIGHT -- who is better

3) set pieces -- that hit the net and maybe go in -- who is better

4) he's no more aliability on the right than garcia or nunez -- notice how a great preponderance of the goal are scored from the right side on us -- i just can't count them

5)may help steve stay -- sven will chooke but that okay with me

before you just say never think hard -- i would rather have him cheap than let tottenham get him- tottenham who's improving and getting closer -- pongelle out we ain't got nobody wide right

Ok when u say tottenham is going after becks on the cheap... wtf do u mean?  the cheap?  y the hell would Real sell him, ok hes massively overated as a player but y would that bother Real?  he sells shirts n is a massive name player.  Perez would never sell and at real he is numer uno.  He makes ALL the decisions
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby Big Niall » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:52 am

He is the most over rated player in the world. He is ok but no more. getting older&slower now too.

Not enough to even play for England (SWP is clearly better) never mind being the spark  for LFC.

Maybe if LFC buy shares in Hello magazine, otherwise NO WAY!!!
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:20 pm

I think Beckham would do a job, He is stillthe best crosser of a ball in the world.  One of the best dead ball players in the world.

However... just can't see him wanting to play for Liverpool... and can't see Victoria walking down Church Street!!!

Its a nice idea....... and a great post.. :D
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:31 pm

this is alittle different than hearing the f@g coming to liverpool but,...........

Liverpool have expressed interest in Leeds United midfielder Simon Walton.

The youngster is being tipped as a future England regular and could join ex-Leeds teammate Scott Carson at Anfield this month.

Leeds boss Kevin Blackwell is urging the club's new owner Ken Bates to resist all offers for Walton.

Southampton, Liverpool linked with Estoril fullback Duarte
tribalfootball.com - January 26, 2005

Southampton and Liverpool have been linked with Estoril fullback Rui Duarte.

Benfica are regarded as favourites for the Portuguese, but local press speculation suggests both Saints and Liverpool are also in the frame.

Estoril president Antonio Figueiredo revealed: "Nothing is decided, but he will be going abroad."
Last edited by The Canadian Red Army on Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthernScouser » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:08 pm

we definitely need to strengthen - that's for sure
With regard to Beckham - there are too may obsticles in the way - for him to ever join LFC
If he was out of contract - surplus to requirements (i.e he'd stopped selling shirts and merchandise) - and was coming on a Bosman - we might just afford his wages - but none of that will ever happen soon
Plus - It would still be too weird seeing a Scum U player in a Liverpool Shirt

I'd love to see us sign SWP's - but don't really think he's worth the money that Man City are talking - don't actually think they think he's worth that - it's just a price set to warn off any interest

Don't really know anything about the Leeds lad that's been mentioned
So I can see Rafa going abroad again to strengthen

I just still can't get over the injuries we've sustained this season
Even Chelski would have struggled a bit
SouthernScouser

Postby ronmeister » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:47 pm

Listen to yaselves Its bloody david beckham .Imagining Beckham at Lfc is as bad as seeing Sg in a manc top its not gonna happen and to be hohnest a good bloody job if you ask me ,Yeah he is good as a right sided midfielder but the best in the world as some of you seem to think behave will ya.Just the idea of totenham thinking they can get him lets you know how good he is
ronmeister

Postby akumaface » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:01 pm

Beckham WAS a very good player when he was younger but not anymore. But I have to agree he is still world class.......in advertising. Did you know he is a spoke person for a Japanese candy company. The chocolate he promoted sell very well......  :D
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion