Mingolet

Can        Ilorri        Sakho

Ibe             Lucas          Kovacic         Markovic

Coutinho      Yarmalenko

New CF
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby aCe' » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:31 am

Not sure about names but I think the 2 most important positions we need to address are CF and CM.

1)CF
In Sturridge we have one of the best CFs in the league imo. He is injury prone though and he plays much better with a partner(preferably one who is more comfortable coming deep and dragging defenders around/creating space).
Names to consider: Jovetic, Tevez, Aubemyang, Walcott, Icardi, Lacazette,

2)CM
Atm, we have Henderson, Can, Milner (all similar in style; Henderson the most solid all around; Can the most exciting) in addition to Lucas and Allen ( Lucas the better defensively, Allen doesnt do enough down either end consistently). Realistically, we could probably get away with starting 1 of the 5 if we are serious about a CL spot. Anything more than that and theres a lack of quality in the central positions. None of them are passers of the ball, playmakers, or have the technical ability/creativity/game intelligence to control the game or tempo and improve the players around them as a result.
Names to consider: Gundogan, Cabaye, Montolivio, Schneiderlin, at a stretch Kovacic 

3)RB or M
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:55 am

I don't like the players we are being linked with.

So as long as we get a world-class DM (a must to stop teams running through our midfield and putting our defence into all sort of problem) & a striker in the mould of suarez (mobile, hardworking, good close control...etc).

We .... of course won't sign these profile of players as "David Brent" seems to prefer to work with domestic players (and we don't have these players available in this league ATM).
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:55 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:43 pm wrote:Good idea For a thread.
Mine would be -

Kovacic
Yarmalenko
New CF

I'd set up like this -

Mingolet

Coutinho      Yarmalenko

New CF

One of the worst lineups ever other then that perfect  :grinning:
Sticking Can again in an unnatural position? Placing an unknown cb is the in the middle sof the defense ? Marko still miles from earning a starting role Lucas is stable as a 3 wheel wagon racing down hill ,what is a Yarmalenko? Other then that spot on.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Buck Rodgers » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:09 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:43 pm wrote:Good idea For a thread.
Mine would be -

Kovacic
Yarmalenko
New CF

I'd set up like this -

Mingolet

Coutinho      Yarmalenko

New CF

I would hope we move away from the three at the back

It didn't ok last year for the mid period but we struggled with it towards the end

4-3-3 would be my preferred choice
Buck Rodgers
LFC Advanced Member

Postby damjan193 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:35 pm

aCe' » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:31 am wrote:Not sure about names but I think the 2 most important positions we need to address are CF and CM.

1)CF
In Sturridge we have one of the best CFs in the league imo. He is injury prone though and he plays much better with a partner(preferably one who is more comfortable coming deep and dragging defenders around/creating space).
Names to consider: Jovetic, Tevez, Aubemyang, Walcott, Icardi, Lacazette,

2)CM
Atm, we have Henderson, Can, Milner (all similar in style; Henderson the most solid all around; Can the most exciting) in addition to Lucas and Allen ( Lucas the better defensively, Allen doesnt do enough down either end consistently). Realistically, we could probably get away with starting 1 of the 5 if we are serious about a CL spot. Anything more than that and theres a lack of quality in the central positions. None of them are passers of the ball, playmakers, or have the technical ability/creativity/game intelligence to control the game or tempo and improve the players around them as a result.
Names to consider: Gundogan, Cabaye, Montolivio, Schneiderlin, at a stretch Kovacic 

3)RB or M

+1 with this.

Quality CF should be priority above all, even if it means spending all of our budget on one. Personally, I'd go for Lacazette.

Reality is, we're not too far from being a team that can challenge for top 4, two or three quality signings and we're right up there. The money is there as well since Sterling is as good as gone to City for a lot of money plus there's the money from the sale of other players. We just have to work hard and play it smart.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Buck Rodgers » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:40 pm

Lacazette has been offered €4mil a year by Lyon for persuade him to stay - we could easily offer more and a good decent £20mil fee to get him

The prob is he is rumoured to be wanted by PSG , Arsenal and UTD as well
Buck Rodgers
LFC Advanced Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:58 pm

only me » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:55 am wrote:
Mine would be -

Kovacic
Yarmalenko
New CF

I'd set up like this -

Mingolet

Coutinho      Yarmalenko

New CF

Sticking Can again in an unnatural position? Placing an unknown cb is the in the middle sof the defense ? Marko still miles from earning a starting role Lucas is stable as a 3 wheel wagon racing down hill ,what is a Yarmalenko? Other then that spot on.

Can in an unnatural position? He has played for Germany's U21 team in the back line and did well as part of a 3 for us last year.
Ilorri is quality as he proved midweek when he didn't give the much heralded Harry Kane and Danny Ings a look in, he had them both in his pocket which must not have gone unnoticed in the corridors of power at Anfield because in today's Echo it is saying he is to be given a chance this year. He has tremendous pace, height and is as comfortable on the ball as a midfielder.
Markovic will come good, he showed sporadically last year what he can do and I think now he's a year older and Sterling is out of the way I think he'll step up.
Yarmalenko is a tall, skillful Ukrainian playmaker in the Zlatan mould, he has been linked to top clubs in the past (looked a done deal with Chelsea at one point) but for one reason or another a deal has never happened but he is someone I would like to see here, his performance against Everton in last seasons Europa league was about as impressive as I've seen against the bluenoses in a long time.
PS - I'd stick with the back 3, it's not perfect but it does allow us to flood the midfield which has been a weak spot for us for years. Whoever controls the centre of the park usually wins the game so I'd stick with the 3.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby aCe' » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:28 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:58 pm wrote:
only me » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:55 am wrote:
Mine would be -

Kovacic
Yarmalenko
New CF

I'd set up like this -

Mingolet

Coutinho      Yarmalenko

New CF

Can in an unnatural position? He has played for Germany's U21 team in the back line and did well as part of a 3 for us last year.
Ilorri is quality as he proved midweek when he didn't give the much heralded Harry Kane and Danny Ings a look in, he had them both in his pocket which must not have gone unnoticed in the corridors of power at Anfield because in today's Echo it is saying he is to be given a chance this year. He has tremendous pace, height and is as comfortable on the ball as a midfielder.
Markovic will come good, he showed sporadically last year what he can do and I think now he's a year older and Sterling is out of the way I think he'll step up.
Yarmalenko is a tall, skillful Ukrainian playmaker in the Zlatan mould, he has been linked to top clubs in the past (looked a done deal with Chelsea at one point) but for one reason or another a deal has never happened but he is someone I would like to see here, his performance against Everton in last seasons Europa league was about as impressive as I've seen against the bluenoses in a long time.
PS - I'd stick with the back 3, it's not perfect but it does allow us to flood the midfield which has been a weak spot for us for years. Whoever controls the centre of the park usually wins the game so I'd stick with the 3.

I know I briefly mentioned my reservations about that lineup in a different thread so I'll try to clarify it in a bit more detail here. The game is all about opinions and who knows, that lineup might actually work !

- 3 at the back. Last side to play 3 at the back well was Roma when they had Cafu and Candela. No
- E.Can playing CB again. He did okay (I wouldnt say he impressed) in the position but I wouldnt wanna see him there for a whole season any more than he would like it. No
- Llori being a regular ahead of Skrtel from day 1. No
- Ibe starting regularly as a wingback. No
- Markovic as a left wingback (or left anything, or starter). No
- Lucas as a starter. No
- Kovacic holding midfielder. No
- Yarmalenko as a signing to play centrally (especially considering we have Kovacic and Coutinho also in the side). No
- Sturridge (our best player imo) out of the starting 11. No

I'd go for a 4-3-1-2 or a variation of a 4-4-2 (diamond preferably).

Mingolet

RB (Flanagan)          Skrtel(Toure)          Sakho(Llori)          Moreno(Enrique)

Henderson(Can)      Gundogan(Allen)         Milner(Lallana)

Coutinho(Markovic)

Sturridge(Ings)        Jovetic(Balotelli)
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Buck Rodgers » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:33 pm

Great post Ace - all spot on
Buck Rodgers
LFC Advanced Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:00 pm

Good post Ace, as you say it's all about opinions.
As for your side you are basically using the same back 4 that has been pi$$ing goals at an alarming rate for the past 2 seasons, the only time our defence has looked half decent in that time was when we moved to a 3.
I think Ilorri at the centre of a 3 could work, he is a lot taller than Skrtel, a lot quicker and a lot better on the ball. With him and Sakho back there we'd actually start to look quite imposing physically too (Can is no lightweight either).
I understand your concerns over the wing backs but Markovic actually works quite hard in defence, granted Ibe would need to work on the defensive side of his game though.
Kovacic is a CM not an AM so Im not too sure what you are on about there and Lucas is a very good DM mate!
As for Sturridge the only reason I didn't put him in there is that he is out until about October.

What I like about the side I put together is that so many of the players are comfortable on the ball (especially the back 3)
Last edited by ycsatbjywtbiastkamb on Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby johnbarnes » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:18 pm

I know I briefly mentioned my reservations about that lineup in a different thread so I'll try to clarify it in a bit more detail here. The game is all about opinions and who knows, that lineup might actually work !

- 3 at the back. Last side to play 3 at the back well was Roma when they had Cafu and Candela. No
- E.Can playing CB again. He did okay (I wouldnt say he impressed) in the position but I wouldnt wanna see him there for a whole season any more than he would like it. No
- Llori being a regular ahead of Skrtel from day 1. No
- Ibe starting regularly as a wingback. No
- Markovic as a left wingback (or left anything, or starter). No
- Lucas as a starter. No
- Kovacic holding midfielder. No
- Yarmalenko as a signing to play centrally (especially considering we have Kovacic and Coutinho also in the side). No
- Sturridge (our best player imo) out of the starting 11. No

I'd go for a 4-3-1-2 or a variation of a 4-4-2 (diamond preferably).

Mingolet

RB (Flanagan)          Skrtel(Toure)          Sakho(Llori)          Moreno(Enrique)

Henderson(Can)      Gundogan(Allen)         Milner(Lallana)

Coutinho(Markovic)

Sturridge(Ings)        Jovetic(Balotelli)[/quote]

Can't really put together a constructed argument against that team above.
Out of interest ACE who would you like to see brought in at RB?
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:05 pm

Obviously it's more a dream at present...

Mignolet
Clyne    Skrtel   Sakho   Moreno

Henderson     Milner

Coutinho

Sturridge        Firmino

Lacazette
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby aCe' » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:27 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:00 pm wrote:Good post Ace, as you say it's all about opinions.
As for your side you are basically using the same back 4 that has been pi$$ing goals at an alarming rate for the past 2 seasons, the only time our defence has looked half decent in that time was when we moved to a 3.
I think Ilorri at the centre of a 3 could work, he is a lot taller than Skrtel, a lot quicker and a lot better on the ball. With him and Sakho back there we'd actually start to look quite imposing physically too (Can is no lightweight either).
I understand your concerns over the wing backs but Markovic actually works quite hard in defence, granted Ibe would need to work on the defensive side of his game though.
Kovacic is a CM not an AM so Im not too sure what you are on about there and Lucas is a very good DM mate!
As for Sturridge the only reason I didn't put him in there is that he is out until about October.

What I like about the side I put together is that so many of the players are comfortable on the ball (especially the back 3)

I absolutely see the logic in having as many players in the middle of the park who are technically sound and are able to create at the same time. Its the Barcelona model and done right, it could work well.

With regards to the defense, I think we have a poor LB, an average GK, no RB at present (a poor one last season regardless of who played there), a top CB is Sakho and a decent one in Skrtel. To be honest, I havent seen enough of Llori to say if he'd be an improvement on Skrtel but I highly doubt he'll walk straight into the starting 11 given the demands of the league and his lack of experience. We conceded 48 goals last season in the league which was an improvement on the season before where we almost won the league. It's still not good enough but Arsenal, Utd & City conceded 36,37 and 38 respectively and I think we can close that gap if we start defending better as a team. I'd love for us to go out and sign a better GK, LB, RB, and CB than what we have, but that's probably not going to happen. Given that, we'll just have to do with most of what we got I'm afraid. I woul'dnt play 3 at the back to concede 5 goals less a season and compromise our attacking game. And I absolutely dont believe for a second that having wingers playing as attacking wingbacks would do our defensive game any good regardless of whether we start 3 CBs or even 4 down the middle.

On Markovic, I think the only time I've seen him look anywhere near useful is when he's played down the middle behind the forwards where he had the space to run at slower CBs and DMs and go either way of them. He's not the best dribbler and lacks a bit of creativity in his play. He works hard but he'll be targeted and highlighted as a weakness and so will Ibe.

On Kovacic, I agree that he can be played as a CM but again, he'll need to be paired with 2 down the middle who do the defensive work and running for him. I dont think he can play as a holding midfielder from what I've seen (not the best defensively and his positioning is suspect to put it mildly). Pair him with Lucas and Henderson as a midfield trio and you'll get the best out of him. Have him and Lucas holding and he'll be lost imo.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion