PEPE REINA - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:14 pm

That's another game gone and Reina hasn't played a single minute for us in pre season. I'll be surprised if he's still here when the season starts.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:03 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:14 pm wrote:That's another game gone and Reina hasn't played a single minute for us in pre season. I'll be surprised if he's still here when the season starts.

Can't say I'm surprised, if his media quotes are anything to go by.

They all seem to consist of him stating he wants to play in Spain, or how much he enjoyed his time in Italy. Nowhere have I seem him mention LFC or his desire to fight for the number 1 slot in the sticks.

Quite frankly, Reina can go f**k himself.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:52 pm

Tony Barrett of The Times says Liverpool have accepted an offer from Bayern Munich for Pepe Reina

The fee is a mere 2 million pounds, but at least this will free up a massive wage
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:53 pm

Reports are that Bayern have offered £2m for him

^ or what he said...
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:06 pm

Fee is reported to be anywhere between £2~£2.5M but we do lose £110,000 of burden per week on him. Kinda sad to see him go as he used to be quality for us...and I think a Reina with good competition might just bring out the best in him but he did dug his own grave when he was flirting with a move to Barca. And if Barca were to came for him, I don't think Pepe will give a rat arse what the fans think of him so good riddance on your way out sitting on the bench deputising for Neuer
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:25 pm

id have thought he'd only move for 1st team football.
bit peeved at that fee also. considering what we paid for mingy and the fact that pepe had 3 years left we have ended up mugging ourselves.
still its a good move for him should it go ahead and the fact that a club like bayern are interested proves that he is still a quality keeper.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Redman in wales » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:09 pm

imo, not a good move for him at all really - just "a" move away from this club. He's going from no first team football here to a club where he wont get any first team football. He wont get in front of Neuer.

And just playing devils advocate, I don't think it proves he's a quality keeper. It proves he's a decent back up - better than Tom Stark (Yes, I had to google their back up keeper) - It proves that no top flight club wants him as first choice - even for the lowly figure of £2m
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:11 pm

Wages boys, wages.
2m in cash but over 1.2m per year in wages freed up.  Over the next 3 years he'd cost us over 3.6m so by taking 2m now for him means we're clear. Good move by the club, he wasn't gonna play anyway.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:12 pm

When he was overlooked in pre season it was pretty obvious where it was going to end.
8 years is a long time to spend at a club in the modern era and at his best he was arguably the number one keeper in the country, he's been a fine servant to the club and I wish him well for the future.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Santa » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:23 pm

leeroy74 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:11 pm wrote:Wages boys, wages.
2m in cash but over 1.2m per year in wages freed up.  Over the next 3 years he'd cost us over 3.6m so by taking 2m now for him means we're clear. Good move by the club, he wasn't gonna play anyway.

Pepe is gonna cost us way over £5M per year in wages and that's the reason clubs won't get him and we don't want him sitting on the bench. Good job to whomever signing him on a long term contract with this kind of silly money
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:34 pm

Sad to see such a character and quality goalkeeper leave the club .....All the best for the future Pepe ,and thanks for the memories.   

YNWA
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:36 am

All the best Pepe

Despite the rather acrimonious ending I always have fond memories of his stint as a Red
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby killerp » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:06 am

This is the watershed moment for Pepe which his performances got gradually worse and worse after this ... Up to then he was solid.

The good Riena under Benitez I remember will be missed.
killerp

Postby alxy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:20 am

Shows how desperate he was to leave. Though being no 2 to Neuer is arguably a step up from being no 2 to Mignolet. Anyway, he was willing to forgo first team football just to get away from us. Though it also shows that no one wanted him as a no 1. How far he has fallen. Good luck Pepe, you gave us your best for a long number of years (in footie terms), but at the end, you screwed yourself.
alxy

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:49 pm

Sad end to Pepe's LFC career to be honest. I do wonder if he could have forced his way back into the team if he had dealt with things in a better way. Instead, he's kept to his guns and shot himself in the foot in the process. Hell, even Rafa didn't want him after the loan. And that speaks volumes.

I've been a big fan of Reina nd agree when some say he's been a world class keeper. Sadly, those days appear to be behind him and he'll struggle to recapture his form with 3 or 4 cameos at Bayern.

Good luck lad, you'll need it.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion