PAUL KONCHESKY - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tubby » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:20 pm

Agreed. Poor poor piece of business imo. He just rushed out to get someone in he was famiiar with. wtf happened with Figueroa? I thought that was '90%' done?
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:21 pm

bavlondon wrote:Agreed. Poor poor piece of business imo. He just rushed out to get someone in he was famiiar with. wtf happened with Figueroa? I thought that was '90%' done?

According to his agent it was, something must have went wrong with the last 10%   :D
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Liverpool KAIGELS » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:38 pm

Source that we are signing him for 4million ? Read somewhere that some kids are part of the deal as well LDV .

Good reliable LB . Worth max 2 million .
Liverpool KAIGELS

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:53 pm

Not good enough .... not young enough .... :( and for 4million and two of our brightest talents the only thing missing was the intervening Jeremy Beadle :(
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby boodiddy1 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:58 pm

much better than insua. not great, but reliable. allows us to put agger back in centre and so can start from the back with build ups rather than skrtel carra lumps forward.

Good luck paul
boodiddy1

Postby crim cram » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:04 pm

I've seen him a couple of times this season and he hasn't looked as good as past seasons.  I hope that's because he knew he was coming here(head not right ...etc :Oo: )  But a big part of his game is pace, nearing 30 how's that gonna help us?  4 mil is way too much imo.  Hope I'm wrong.
“Me having no education. I had to use my brains.”  Shankly
crim cram
LFC Super Member

Postby THEBARON » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:35 pm

I agree with earlier posters that he is overpriced if we are paying in excess of £4 million.
He is, however, an improvement on Insua.

I am more worried about rumours that we are trying to buy Carlton Cole......
THEBARON

Postby Kharhaz » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:18 am

I am actually all for this signing. Lets not forget where we got Finnan from, and how good a job he did for us. If he is half as consistent as Finnan then this could prove to be a brilliant signing for us.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:11 am

Kharhaz wrote:I am actually all for this signing. Lets not forget where we got Finnan from, and how good a job he did for us. If he is half as consistent as Finnan then this could prove to be a brilliant signing for us.

Like I said, Finnan was already one of the outstanding players in the league when we signed him. Konchesky is not.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:17 am

maguskwt wrote:
Kharhaz wrote:I am actually all for this signing. Lets not forget where we got Finnan from, and how good a job he did for us. If he is half as consistent as Finnan then this could prove to be a brilliant signing for us.

Like I said, Finnan was already one of the outstanding players in the league when we signed him. Konchesky is not.

No he wasn't. He was always known as one of the unsung heroes for a reason. Nothing was expected of him but before he left we all recognised him for the stability he provided.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:26 am

Kharhaz wrote:
maguskwt wrote:

No he wasn't. He was always known as one of the unsung heroes for a reason. Nothing was expected of him but before he left we all recognised him for the stability he provided.

Maybe you didn't notice him, but I did and it seems alot of other professional players, too:

In his debut season in the Premier League, he helped Fulham qualify for the UEFA Intertoto Cup, was voted into the 2001–02 Professional Footballers' Association team of the year and was also voted as the Fulham player of the year.

Premier League
Two clubs had three of their players nominated in the Premier League Team of the Year for the 2001–02 season.[1]

Pos. Player Club
GK  Shay Given Newcastle United
DF  Steve Finnan Fulham
DF  Rio Ferdinand Leeds United
DF  Sami Hyypiä Liverpool
DF  Wayne Bridge Southampton
MF  Robert Pirès Arsenal
MF  Roy Keane Manchester United
MF  Patrick Vieira Arsenal
MF  Ryan Giggs Manchester United
FW  Ruud van Nistelrooy Manchester United
FW  Thierry Henry Arsenal
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:32 am

maguskwt wrote:
Kharhaz wrote:
maguskwt wrote:

Maybe you didn't notice him, but I did and it seems alot of other professional players, too:

In his debut season in the Premier League, he helped Fulham qualify for the UEFA Intertoto Cup, was voted into the 2001–02 Professional Footballers' Association team of the year and was also voted as the Fulham player of the year.

Premier League
Two clubs had three of their players nominated in the Premier League Team of the Year for the 2001–02 season.[1]

Pos. Player Club
GK  Shay Given Newcastle United
DF  Steve Finnan Fulham
DF  Rio Ferdinand Leeds United
DF  Sami Hyypiä Liverpool
DF  Wayne Bridge Southampton
MF  Robert Pirès Arsenal
MF  Roy Keane Manchester United
MF  Patrick Vieira Arsenal
MF  Ryan Giggs Manchester United
FW  Ruud van Nistelrooy Manchester United
FW  Thierry Henry Arsenal

I have no doubt the players did, but the reaction to signing Konchesky is akin to us signing Finnan, although the fee is higher. My point is, there wasn't a lot of fuss over us signing Finnan at the time but he proved to be a very good consistent performer, Konchesky could well provide a similar value.
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Raoul » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:34 am

If Roy trusts Konchesky enough to move Agger to CB and bench Skrtel, then I'm all for it! I like his passion but I was sure he was going to give away another penalty yesterday.

I don't think it is a bad thing for a manager to go in for a player they know and trust. When you are employing someone, do you go for the apparent highflier you don't know very well, or the person you've worked with before for who does good solid work and has proven their character and loyalty to you over and over again? It is not an easy decision, and I for one am not going to second guess Roy here. I recognise that in most fields employees tend to get better with age and experience, and that isn't the case in sports once age catches up with people, but still I think I understand and support what Roy is doing here.

And anyway, as I've read elsewhere (I personally have no idea), Salcido had a good WC but wasn't really setting the world alight at PSV, so who is to say Salcido is actually the highflier he is made out to be. Roy has chosen someone with EPL experience, and someone who counts as homegrown, over someone who is neither. And he already has a good work relationship with him. I'm satisfied.

Now it is up to us to support him, and Konchesky to prove he is worth that support.
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:27 am

For me, this isn't really a signing I'm really looking forward too.  I'm not saying we don't need him or anything, but as I see it, I would prefer to keep our back four as it is.  I think it's good to keep Skrtel in the back with Carragher, they should both play. Agger stuck out on the left is good because I think he's better at LB then Koncheskey.  He gives us a bit more of an attacking option, and having GJ on the right and DA on the left, both attacking (hopefully we will be taking initiative this season to get rid of those pointless draws we seem to get all the time and actually will be attacking a lot more) then we shouldn't drop as many points to lesser teams.  More danger in counter attacks, but we will have to see how it works out.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Owzat » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:46 am

dawson99 wrote:hes not that bad, England International, this is a good step up and chance for him (He's 29, perfect age, this is his last chance)

His previous clubs sum him up, and frankly if you'd asked what people would think if we were going to sign him 3-4 years ago I bet most would say "no" and only a few would be indifferent.

As for the "international" line, sorry but that's a media numpty trap. "international" translates to "played for England once" but implies a bit more than there actually is to imply ie you're making it sound like he plays for England more than he does or ever did (TWICE)

For this 'empty pot' of transfer funds, we seem to have been splashing out enough

Cole - wages
Jones - £2.3m
Poulsen - £4.5m
Meireles - £11.5m
Shelvey - £1.7m
Wilson - £2m
Konchesky - something like £3m-£4m

And supposedly Woy has another target in his sights. I appreciate someone will come back with a "we've sold more than we've spent", but the bottom line is it isn't HOW MUCH we've taken in or spent, it's WHAT WE'VE WASTED IT ON - overall, it's the two or three millions here and there that add up to a big fat zero
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion