Why are our big names players letting us down. - Torres,rodríguez ,skrtel ,konchesky.....

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kunilson » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:06 pm

eds wrote:
Ring-of-Fire wrote:
lakes10 wrote:
bavlondon wrote:
rocky29 wrote:
bavlondon wrote:The thing is, though, that Rafa signed a contract for control over youth team and transfers but was never actually given the control in the following transfer windows and was sacked a year later having been given £16k to spend in the summer. (It was actually closer to minus £15m as we only paid £5m upfront for Aquilani and won't have paid any more of it since he's been loaned out to Juve). Glen Johnson cost £7.5m as Portsmouth owed us £10m from the Crouch deal (money we would otherwise have never seen again as their administration and relegation has shown). We sold Alonso for £30m 3x what he cost) and Arbeloa for £5m-odd. We spent £12.5m in real terms on their replacements and people still think Rafa was in control of the signings! Rafa set up a deal for Tevez but the owners refused it. He set up a deal for Michael Turner, but the owners refused it. (So he went for Kyrgiakos instead.)

The youth set up has provided us with Kelly, Shelvey, Pachecho, Suso and Wilson - all players bought into the club/academy by Rafa.

It's very easy to blame him for the failure of certain signings, but why do you think he wanted more control over said signings? He obviously wasn't happy with the players he was getting, so he tried to stop others interfering. It makes perfect sense if you ask me, and no-one in their right mind would think that this team is what Benitez wanted.

Excellent post that. Some people really seem to have forgotten the constraints Rafa had to deal with. The fact that we were one of the most feared teams in Europe then just goes to show what a great tactician he is.

he spent over 220 million over 5 years so dont talkabout constraints plus his man management skills were attrocious.

And what was his net spend each year? Something like 25 - 30mil? Tell me do Chelsea, Utd, Spurs or Man City expect to finish in the top 4 with those sort of resources? Your taking the overall figure and skewing it to fit some twisted agenda.

still he got 76 players in them years and still could not bulid a team to win the prem and left us with no bench last year and this year.

76? I think you need to stop reading Sky's pages.

Rafa signed about 40 players for the first team, many of whom were replacements rather than additions. (He sold 46 first team players as well, which itself shows he was never given the funds to replace some players, let alone improve/increase the squad.)

The rest were all for the youth side, which is alright if, when it comes to comparing signings with other clubs, you also include THEIR youth players in the numbers. Even then, there'll be no mention of the fact that Rafa was reinventing the youth set up and had to replace a lot of dead wood and sub-standard reserve players. That's the problem with dickhead journos with a hard-on for Rafa - they skew the figures wildly as they know that there are people out there who believe everything they read.

For the record, Rafa's spending was as follows:

Bought: £229,125,000.
Sold: £148,130,000.
Net Spend: £80,995,000. (Divided by 6 = £13,499,166.70 per season.)

Question these things and it's easy to see the agendas and lies. It's also easy to see the lengths some scumbags will go to to defame one of the greatest managers in our history.

This post is a true reflection of what is wrong with our club today. Contentment in mediocrity.

One of the "greatest" managers, WTF   
:no  :no  :no

Did he win the premier league?

From those odd 36 youth players he bought in, where are the ones playing for our 1st team?

Why was money spent on temporary fill-ins when I can name you countless examples where it wasn't needed??? Our squad grew and grew BUT the quality didn't.......

Of all the mistakes the worst was when he blew it the season we were on top and went on a massive stupid rant against whiskey nose, all he needed to do was focus on our remaining games and we would have won the title, but alas a 4-4 draw to Arsenal cost us dearly, you can't use the "we were dirt poor and had no money to spend" excuse then. 

Also how do you spell out the following sunshine:

Aquilani 20m
Keane 19m
Johnson 18m
Babel 11m
Riera 8m
Dossena 7m
Penant 6.7m
Morientes 6.3m

The only good players he bought in were Alonso, Reina, Torres (all Spanish), Mascherano and to a arguable point Kuyt.

That is a s**tload of money to make on mistakes, it can't be ignored, no matter how hard you huff and puff and cry out about hidden agendas, secret Manure UFO underground conspiracies, the simple answer is Rafa and I will slowly say it just........wasn't.........good........enough.

What you fail to see is the fans that understand something about this game do look back and smile about Istanbal 2005 and the FA Cup in 2006, but outside of that they realise there was nothing that "great" about Rafa Benitez. Harsh but fair.[/quote]
you obvioulsy have your view on things. not havin a pop at you....but im just pickin up on a couple of points you mentioned and thats all...

- youth players havent broken into the 1st team....we dont have a problem there that is different to anyone else. Arsenal invested heavily on youth and they seem to be the only team to be successful in this way, we didnt invest half as much. we have to address this like many other teams.

- after that rafa "rant".....we went on an incredible run which forced united to go on equally incredible run to hold us off...the 4-4 draw you mentioned. we absolutely battered arsenal that night. united had to really earn that title in the end, we made our mistake going on our 3 successive draws + middelsborough loss run.

- all the buying/selling stuff. think the major problem here was that we should never have been in a position of having to sell to buy. especially when trying to rebuild and make your own team. there were mistakes. there always are.

morientes, babel, keane, johnson were all celebrated acquisitions when made on the whole. they seemed to be just what we needed. riera had a good first season, gave us the width we needed and was looking promising, his mentality ended up being the problem. Aquilani shouldnt have been a replacement to Alonso cos he was injured, we needed someone rdy to step right in.dossena was italy's left-back, who woulda thought he couldnt defend eh?  :;):

We bought good players, not just the ones u mentioned but Crouch did well when he was here...Arbeloa was solid, Agger too when fit, Sissoko did well also.

by the way, i wanted rafa out after last season....only if we had someone with proper credentials to take over mind u, otherwise it woulda been pointless. he went to war upstairs, he forgot about the football. was too much going on at the time. clean break seemed to be best for everyone.

some moron on sunday supplement said we blame roy for everything. i dont. dont think many do really....he's been put into a circus. i do see him as a caretaker manager, only because he hasnt shown me anything that should suggest otherwise. and some of his comments have been just stupid. head down, mouth shut, do your job.

as for the topic. our big players are letting us down cos they just seem lost. they dont know where we are going, they look like they are waiting to be "shown the way" whether its out the exit doors or onto the pitch with confidence.
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:19 pm

eds wrote:What you fail to see is the fans that understand something about this game do look back and smile about Istanbal 2005 and the FA Cup in 2006, but outside of that they realise there was nothing that "great" about Rafa Benitez. Harsh but fair.

Whereas you my myopic friend just simply "fail to see " 
but that's ok ..your in excellent company on this forum 
however just a word of advice you may find it a lonely existence if you happen to venture from said forum .... just saying like   :D
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:33 pm

eds wrote:What you fail to see is the fans that understand something about this game do look back and smile about Istanbal 2005 and the FA Cup in 2006, but outside of that they realise there was nothing that "great" about Rafa Benitez. Harsh but fair.

Get over yourself lad, plenty of people on here with their fingers on the pulse when it comes football matters and all have differing opinions on Rafa Benitez. Sometomes it seems though that the "Antis" are the most condescending about it.
burjennio

Postby eds » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:35 am

kunilson wrote:you obvioulsy have your view on things. not havin a pop at you....but im just pickin up on a couple of points you mentioned and thats all...

- youth players havent broken into the 1st team....we dont have a problem there that is different to anyone else. Arsenal invested heavily on youth and they seem to be the only team to be successful in this way, we didnt invest half as much. we have to address this like many other teams.

- after that rafa "rant".....we went on an incredible run which forced united to go on equally incredible run to hold us off...the 4-4 draw you mentioned. we absolutely battered arsenal that night. united had to really earn that title in the end, we made our mistake going on our 3 successive draws + middelsborough loss run.

- all the buying/selling stuff. think the major problem here was that we should never have been in a position of having to sell to buy. especially when trying to rebuild and make your own team. there were mistakes. there always are.

morientes, babel, keane, johnson were all celebrated acquisitions when made on the whole. they seemed to be just what we needed. riera had a good first season, gave us the width we needed and was looking promising, his mentality ended up being the problem. Aquilani shouldnt have been a replacement to Alonso cos he was injured, we needed someone rdy to step right in.dossena was italy's left-back, who woulda thought he couldnt defend eh?  :;):

We bought good players, not just the ones u mentioned but Crouch did well when he was here...Arbeloa was solid, Agger too when fit, Sissoko did well also.

by the way, i wanted rafa out after last season....only if we had someone with proper credentials to take over mind u, otherwise it woulda been pointless. he went to war upstairs, he forgot about the football. was too much going on at the time. clean break seemed to be best for everyone.

some moron on sunday supplement said we blame roy for everything. i dont. dont think many do really....he's been put into a circus. i do see him as a caretaker manager, only because he hasnt shown me anything that should suggest otherwise. and some of his comments have been just stupid. head down, mouth shut, do your job.

as for the topic. our big players are letting us down cos they just seem lost. they dont know where we are going, they look like they are waiting to be "shown the way" whether its out the exit doors or onto the pitch with confidence.

Well done Kunilson, unlike other people who have posted you have actually gone to the lengths of explaining what you disagree on.

Just to clarify a few things:

1) With the youth spending I agree we were never the Arsenal model going for youth instead of experience. But I think you missed my point of all the money Benitez spent what was the point in taking a scatter gun approach. Buying <1m on guys who obviously were not good enough to begin with. Low risk = no reward.

Surely in the end this amounted to a huge waste of time, money and resoruces. I recall reading in his first few seasons that guys like Barragan, Antwi,  Idrizaj, Brouwer, etc were all going to develop, it was sheer and utter nonsense, we may as well have spent this time getting in local kids and using the money and resources somewhere else.

This is a minor gripe I have with the Benitez regime, but in the end we didn't get anything out of it, if we just had one player, one player come through it would have been worth it.

2) As I rememeber the rafa "rant" led to our decline as we had a string of bad results which led the scum overtaking us on the table, say what you want about Manure but we blew it, we should have got results from Stoke, Neverton and Wigan, the loss at Boro cost us dearly but not as bad as the Arsenal draw. Had we won both games we would have won the title as we only finished 4pts off 1st.

And if conclusions need to be made, why exactly did we lose it? Because Rafa Benitez refused to replace Keane in the Jan window, relying on an injury prone Torres and youngster called N'gog to be our striking force. Something, which to THIS DAY has not be rectified. Madnees, sheer and utter madness, when half the sides in the premier league have a better forward line then us and Benitez was buying players we did NOT need.

As a manager he failed, just like he is failing at Inter, WITH THE SAME SQUAD Maureen won the scudetto and CL with, you have to be blind and completely clueless to see that he just isn't that great.

3) I get your points about selling to buy, but what most people miss is that Benitez was selling most of the dross that he had bought to buy, sure Houllier's rejects also needed to be sold earlier on but Benitez made a number of mistakes buying and signing 'cheap' players we just did not need; Zenden, Pennant, Krompkamp, Gonzalez, Degen, the list is endless and the metaphor "building sand castles next to the tide coming in" perfectly summarises this whole debacle.

I don't buy into this anti or pro Rafa rubbish being splattered by clueless lemmings on this forum. I see myself as neutral in all of this, yes as a fan I loved the good times we had in the CL almost every season he was here, but in the end this didn't blind me to the reality that he was just a good cup manager, nothing more, nothing less. He had the 08 season to prove whether he was a great manager, but he failed.

Lastly on to Roy, fully agree with you 100%. Couldn't have summarised it better myself. What we need now is action not words coming from the owners, we need a better manager then Benitez (far better then Roy) and money for players and a new stadium, if we don't see this happening in Jan or May I think we are done for as a club.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby Kharhaz » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:53 am

Regarding big name players, name one in the premier league, that is a big name player, and who is performing how he should to justify the wage. You have Torres, Rooney, Drogba, Tevez. All big name players, and all off form.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Red-er-Dare » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:47 am

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:

however just a word of advice you may find it a lonely existence if you happen to venture from said forum .... just saying like   :D

Why do you post on this forum then, it obviously winds you up no end that not all Liverpool fans think like you and others. Why not lead a harmonious internet life on another Liverpool forum where you can crow until your heart is content about how great Rafa is?

My guess is, you love the flaming, you love the fact you need to try and persuade people they are wrong. You can't do that on other said sites because you all more or less agree with one another that you all adore Rafa. You seem to revel in the ongoing arguements here and get a kick out of it with your snidey remarks to others, thinking yourself clever and witty.
Red-er-Dare

Postby eds » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:24 am

Kharhaz wrote:Regarding big name players, name one in the premier league, that is a big name player, and who is performing how he should to justify the wage. You have Torres, Rooney, Drogba, Tevez. All big name players, and all off form.

Agree mate.

I was reading that Adebayor was on 180,000 a week to keep the Man City bench warm. That is an obscene amount of money to be doing f**k all and it really gives me the s**ts to see this happening without anyone in a high position of authority doing something about it.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:05 am

eds wrote:
Kharhaz wrote:Regarding big name players, name one in the premier league, that is a big name player, and who is performing how he should to justify the wage. You have Torres, Rooney, Drogba, Tevez. All big name players, and all off form.

Agree mate.

I was reading that Adebayor was on 180,000 a week to keep the Man City bench warm. That is an obscene amount of money to be doing f**k all and it really gives me the s**ts to see this happening without anyone in a high position of authority doing something about it.

Adebayor ! totally forgot about him. i thought he left  :D
maypaxvobiscum

Postby OneHotRed » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:31 am

We have been linked with him too :D
OneHotRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:53 pm

OneHotRed wrote:We have been linked with him too :D

i honestly thought he disappeared from the face of the earth. doubt he would wanna take a pay cut though a partnership with Torres has the potential to be potent.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Red-er-Dare » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:56 pm

you obvioulsy have your view on things. not havin a pop at you....but im just pickin up on a couple of points you mentioned and thats all...

morientes, babel, keane, johnson were all celebrated acquisitions when made on the whole. they seemed to be just what we needed. riera had a good first season, gave us the width we needed and was looking promising, his mentality ended up being the problem. Aquilani shouldnt have been a replacement to Alonso cos he was injured, we needed someone rdy to step right in.dossena was italy's left-back, who woulda thought he couldnt defend eh?   

--------------

That is, actually a good post fella.
Red-er-Dare

Postby worcester_red » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:06 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:

With that in mind and also the fact that you repeatedly state how annoying anyone who diasagrees with your views is, why don't you go to one of the other forums, surely you'd find more "local" like-minded people there?
worcester_red

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion