Paul anderson - Lets not get carried away here

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:18 pm

After one good goal against the mighty Wrexham, certain people on here have him down as figuring on a quite regular basis in the first team squad next season, mainly because he's right sided and that's an area we are short in (despite having the best right sided player in the League bar none).

From I've seen of him in the Youth Cup games last year, I'm not convinced he's quite ready for 1st team action yet, certainly not in any important games anyway. I suppose people would use the example of Aaron Lennon in terms of how a young raw talent who plays wide should be given a chance if the abilitiy's there but I for one would be surprised to see him get a run out this season in anything other than the Carling Cup.

Yes I know there's "potential" there (as Houllier might have said). Infact he probably would have gone onto claim that he was "the new Mcmanaman" in terms of his style. In terms of positives, I like his pace, the directness to his play and the way he's willing to run at players, in an age where the art of dribbling is slowly being eroded from the game. As his goal showed the other day, he certainly doesn't lack confidence either. He's got the confidence of youth but also some of the rawness that goes with it aswell.

However you have to admit that playing well against reserve team defenders is a million miles away from playing in the Premiership against defenders of a much higher calibre week in week out. I just wonder how he would cope with that. For me, the one major weakness that I see in his game at the moment is his delivery of the ball - his crossing seems weak and its almost as if he can't quiet get enough power into the cross. Infact if you're talking about power and end product, it seems to me that Adam Hammil on the other wing is more productive and physically developed, but we'd never mention him in the same breath as we've got an abundance of left sided players in the squad at the moment.

I'd also be curious to know where the coaching staff think his best position is going to be. I certainly hope that the weakness in his crossing is just due to his youth rather than any inherent flaw (like McManaman who was never able to either cross or learn to cross a ball). I just wonder whether the coaching staff see Anderson developing into a central role as a forward rather than as a winger. Having said that, Marc Overmars springs to mind as a hugely effective winger who was never particularly good as crossing a ball.

I'd like to see Anderson get a few appearances as a substitute this coming season but I just wonder whether Adam Hammill is closer to the 1st team subs bench than Anderson?

Thoughts?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JC_81 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:29 pm

stmichael wrote:I'd like to see Anderson get a few appearances as a substitute this coming season but I just wonder whether Adam Hammill is closer to the 1st team subs bench than Anderson?

From what I've seen St Mike, Hamill is the better player.  Stronger, quicker and more skilful on the ball than Anderson.  He actually reminds me of Joaquin with the way he runs, his body shape and the way he executes his stepovers (although obviously he has some work to do to reach that level I must stress!).  His final ball looks to be a weakness at the moment, as does his decision making, but he can be coached on those things.

Anderson needs to develop physically as has been debated before on here.  Not particularly skilful, but has a great strike on him.  Looks very direct and may need a bit more subtlty with the things he tries if he is to make the step up.  An intelligent type of player, who may well find his future lies in a more central position, but it's early to tell.

Both these lads will get a chance in the Carling cup I'm sure and may make the bench for the odd game, but I'll be surprised if either makes a Premiership appearance.  If one does, then my money would go on Hamill at the moment.

The most important thing though is as the thread title says - don't get carried away.  If we expect too much too soon off these lads we'll end up disappointed.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:40 pm

I think he should get a go at first team action in the Carling Cup (or whatever it's called).
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:41 pm

john craig wrote:Both these lads will get a chance in the Carling cup I'm sure and may make the bench for the odd game, but I'll be surprised if either makes a Premiership appearance.  If one does, then my money would go on Hamill at the moment.

I agree with you that Hammill will quite possibly be the first of the two to make the step up to the first team. As you rightly said, if you compare Anderson to other first team players he looks like a stick, even compared to the likes of Garcia who isn't big by anyones imagination. Hammill on he other hand is more stocky and well built.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Paul C » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:46 pm

When I saw Anderson in the youth team he played more on the left with Charlie Barnett on the right, Barnett looks a very good player :)
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:48 pm

Adam Hamill is the son of one of the people in my company. So we get little updates on him in the company forum. I hope the lad makes it.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:54 pm

I totally agree he's not the child prodigy, such of the likes of Owen, etc but his potential is great enough to start testing him at a higher level.

True his performance on saturday wasn't earth moving but for a 17 year in a midfield position I think he did very well. His man of the match performance in the youth cup was totally deserved.

I think their is an opportunity this year to introduce him to the premiership. I think the earlier his involvement the better and quicker his development into a premiership standard player will be. I agree that both the Carling Cup and FA Cup offer a ideal introduction to the senior team.

It has been said before that premiership teams are missing out on good players because too much emphasis is on build versus talent. SWP was a good example of a player being ignored due to his size.

I feel he is the type of player that will thrive on a bigger scene, he'll get better as a result of player at a higher standard. I do not see what the reserve level can offer him, at the moment.
Last edited by SouthCoastShankly on Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:16 pm

to be honest, if he's not going to be used, it would be advantageous to loan him out for the season. at least that way he can be playing regularly week in week out against a decent standard of opposition.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JC_81 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:22 pm

stmichael wrote:to be honest, if he's not going to be used, it would be advantageous to loan him out for the season. at least that way he can be playing regularly week in week out against a decent standard of opposition.

I don't agree with loaning players out until they're about 19/20.  I'd much rather Anderson learned from the quality coaches we have at the club for another couple of years, rather than from some lower league jokers, and then if he needs to he can go out on loan for a season.

Plus look at his physical build - he might get eaten alive in the lower leagues right now.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:47 pm

john craig wrote:
stmichael wrote:to be honest, if he's not going to be used, it would be advantageous to loan him out for the season. at least that way he can be playing regularly week in week out against a decent standard of opposition.

I don't agree with loaning players out until they're about 19/20.  I'd much rather Anderson learned from the quality coaches we have at the club for another couple of years, rather than from some lower league jokers, and then if he needs to he can go out on loan for a season.

Plus look at his physical build - he might get eaten alive in the lower leagues right now.

Fair point John.

When I think about it, I suppose loaning them out puts players into an unfamiliar enviornment at a club where there isn't any reason to really develop them as players. In the majority of cases, these clubs wont be as anywhere near as professional an outfit as liverpool either.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby GOAT » Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:40 pm

I definately dont think anderson should play anything near regularly for the first team this season but i think he should get his chance once or twice to prove himself
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby 48-1119859832 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:14 pm

GOAT wrote:I definately dont think anderson should play anything near regularly for the first team this season but i think he should get his chance once or twice to prove himself

I think he should be slowly blooded into the team, in some games just stick him on in the last ten minutes and so on and then in the early rounds of the FA & Carling cup just give him a starting place and that should go for other younger players.
48-1119859832

Postby tubby » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:08 pm

Hopefully both will feature in the Crewe game.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Garymac » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:38 pm

Personally i like the look of both but Hammill has caught my eye for a while, only one doubt i have about him, and its easy to nip this in the bud as they grow up, but his mind tends to roam away from the game if hes not playing well, if this isnt stopped he could become a very Smicer like player, When hes bad, hes sh!te, when hes good, he is fuc*ing great.

A player who has to be in the mood, a player who if he has a bad opening 10 minutes to a game wont get into it at all.

Of course i dont know the lad personally but he has always had this look about him when he has played, more often than not being brillant.

But this is where i see Anderson getting a go 1st as you know what your getting at the moment, im sure that will come to Hammill but Anderson is the safer bet where as Hammill could be a gamble at the moment but im sure that will change the more he spends with the 1st team and the likes of Gerrard.

Its known that rafa is a big fan of Hammill, he tried to get him with the 1st team squad months before he eventually did as Mccauley didnt think he was ready for the step up yet.

Anyway thats just my two bobs worth, and im well happy with the progress some of the young lads are making, its just another mark of the Rafa regime and long may it continue!!
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby Judge » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:44 pm

Garymac wrote:Personally i like the look of both but Hammill has caught my eye for a while, only one doubt i have about him, and its easy to nip this in the bud as they grow up, but his mind tends to roam away from the game if hes not playing well, if this isnt stopped he could become a very Smicer like player, When hes bad, hes sh!te, when hes good, he is fuc*ing great.

A player who has to be in the mood, a player who if he has a bad opening 10 minutes to a game wont get into it at all.

Of course i dont know the lad personally but he has always had this look about him when he has played, more often than not being brillant.

But this is where i see Anderson getting a go 1st as you know what your getting at the moment, im sure that will come to Hammill but Anderson is the safer bet where as Hammill could be a gamble at the moment but im sure that will change the more he spends with the 1st team and the likes of Gerrard.

Its known that rafa is a big fan of Hammill, he tried to get him with the 1st team squad months before he eventually did as Mccauley didnt think he was ready for the step up yet.

Anyway thats just my two bobs worth, and im well happy with the progress some of the young lads are making, its just another mark of the Rafa regime and long may it continue!!

alright gary, where you been matey ?

nice to see you posting here again  :)
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion