Paisley v ferguson - Best ever manager

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red37 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:04 am

NiftyNeil wrote:This argument could run and run. The answer is obviously going to be Paisley, but posted on a manc scum forum, you can bet your bottom dollar that it will be Ferguson.
Personally, I think Shanks was better than Paisley. Shanks laid the foundations. Shankly built a car from scratch, he put all the nuts and bolts in place, he built a magnificent engine, he fine tuned it, and then he raced it. Shanks won a lot of races in his car before handing over the keys to Bob Paisley. Paisley then whacked a spoiler the back, added a couple of go faster stripes, souped up the engine and started racing himself. While Bob won more races than his predecessor, it was still Shankly's car.
If I was to play devil's advocate, I should mention the fact that Alex Ferguson built his own car too, and he won even more races than Bob albeit over a longer period. But sadly Ferguson has not kept up the maintenance and it's getting rusty. It no longer can make those long journeys into Europe because its not reliable anymore.  :D

thats a good analogy!

paisley though, knew when to fill up, do an oil change and knew how to get it through another M.O.T....ferguson seems intent on driving without tax and certainly no insurance!

kind of Kwik-fit versus Kwik-save  :D

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:21 am

If we're using car analogies, then I'd say Rudolph added what he thought was a stage 4 turbo to his engine, only to find that it was actually a £28m(?) bag of carrots. (Veron).
Then the silly b*stard put p*ss water (Djemba Djemba, Kleberson, Fletcher and Smith) in the engine instead of Castrol GTX (Stevie G, Alonso!!!)
Then he thought he could solve all the problems by putting a big fat grill on the front (Spooney) to go with the ugly horse-like mascot.

Basically I believe the best manager ever was Paisley, but the biggest impact at LFC was made by Shankley. He made the largest impact and turned Liverpool into a dominant side. (With Paisley as a boot-roomer).

Paisley took the club to higher points than Shankly, but Bill made the biggest strides and created the foundations for the greatest club in English history.

On a scale of 10, Shankley took us from 2 to 9, but it was Bob who made the final step.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:38 am

rise SIR bob paisley  :bowdown

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby AussieKopite » Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:58 pm

I think that Ferguson being able to perpetuate success with an amazing amount of money by standards then (pre-Chelsea/Abrahamovich) take shine off his achievements.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Red Baron » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:10 am

For me Bob Paisley was the greatest in footballing terms.Shanks was the man with
the charisma,he knew a thing or to about football as well.If you look at it in terms of trophies ther can be no arguements it has to be Paisley.Iremember Shanks with great affection,the man who brought us out of the 2nd division[No Iam not that old.]and put Liverpool FC on the ladder to great succsess.
  I always respected Brian Clough as a manager,and he was entertaining to listen to
in interviews.That respect went out of the window when he made his comments about Hillsbourgh.Matt Busby was another fellah who I respected.Munich 58 was a tradgedy not only for UTD supporters but for everyone who loved football.Busby had built a great team,that was decimated at Munich.To win the European cup
10 years later was some achievement.We all know about Ferguson,lets be honest
credit were credit is due.But in my humble opinion,neither him nor his contempary
at Stamford Bridge can hold a candle to any of the above.
You don't appreciate a lot of stuff in school until you get older.
Little things like being spanked every day by a middle-aged woman.Stuff you pay good money for later in llife
The Red Baron
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion