Our we missing harry? - Our missing man

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby kazza » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:35 pm

Lionheart wrote:This question can be made quite simple...

Are we firing?? Getting plenty of crosses in from the left?? Giving pleanty of opions from the left?? Penetrating from the left??

NO??

Then, YES, we are missing Harry. Hurry back son...(back late January I believe, all going well) :)

BTW...Eds, when you amke a statement that you are an Aussie that doesn't automatically give you the right to talk sh.it son. Most of us Aussies are upholding a tradition on this forum. Try to make a considered and consistent opinion rather than shooting from the hip!! Like Babu says, "Pillock"!!  :laugh:

Kewell being an Aussie has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

Do we miss Harry? NO! Off with old and on with the new as far as I am concerned. Everyone keeps talking about how great he is although no one has seen it for many years. Patriotism has nothing to do with whether he gives his all to the club.

Harry plays for himself and he has used up his tokens. I hope he comes good so as to raise his price when we sell him.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:50 pm

We are most certainly missing the Harry Kewell that played for us in the second half of last season.  That Harry Kewell provided our midfield with great balance, creativity and he chipped in with some important goals. 

The fact that no one player has made LM their own in his absence speaks volumes.  When Rafa resorts to starting Stevie wide left to make space for Pennant rather than starting him wide right and opting for one of our several options at LM it's time to ask what Kewell offered that made him such an automatic choice when fit last season (and that we're not getting from our current options out there). 

I'm not saying Kewell's the answer to all of our current problems but the fact that a fit Kewell would walk into our team at the moment, tells its own story, IMO.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:44 pm

Last season it could be argued that it was when Harry improved and got back to something reasonable, that our consistency came back ..it certainly coincided with that period. Harry definately made the left his own territory.

I think Gonzalez is great, but he doesn't get a regular run; Riise runs up the left too from deep, and Aurelio looks like a cross between a left back and a left winger. Also, Bellamy does a lot of left handed runs down the wing (although they dont usually amount to much cos he trips over his mouth)

Sorry to have to say it, but I think Harry is possibly a gonner ..mainly to save money (and claw back a bit of spent cash on recent transfers). I still think he's got a lot to offer, but lets face it, he's one of our more saleable assets.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Rafa D » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:08 pm

Bad Bob wrote:We are most certainly missing the Harry Kewell that played for us in the second half of last season.  That Harry Kewell provided our midfield with great balance, creativity and he chipped in with some important goals. 

The fact that no one player has made LM their own in his absence speaks volumes.  When Rafa resorts to starting Stevie wide left to make space for Pennant rather than starting him wide right and opting for one of our several options at LM it's time to ask what Kewell offered that made him such an automatic choice when fit last season (and that we're not getting from our current options out there). 

I'm not saying Kewell's the answer to all of our current problems but the fact that a fit Kewell would walk into our team at the moment, tells its own story, IMO.

Thanks,

Sense restored to the forum with a post by Badbob.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby PabloAimar » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:53 pm

'harryyy for england, en-ger-land!!'
we've only won it 5 times
PabloAimar

Postby Lionheart » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:34 pm

kazza wrote:Kewell being an Aussie has absolutely nothing to do with anything.

Do we miss Harry? NO! Off with old and on with the new as far as I am concerned. Everyone keeps talking about how great he is although no one has seen it for many years. Patriotism has nothing to do with whether he gives his all to the club.

Harry plays for himself and he has used up his tokens. I hope he comes good so as to raise his price when we sell him.

Of course it hasn't. I never said it did. What sort of moron would make the claim to keep Harry because he's an Aussie as sound footballing management?? This type of statement would be as stupid as 'out with the old and in with the new'...despite the fact that the 'new' isn't a footballers bootlace compared to the 'old'.  :eyebrow

Rafa obviously believes in the lad hence his patience and understanding.

Harry is still ten times better (and proven) on the left than anything we have signed in the past twelve months.

:)

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lionheart » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:36 pm

Bad Bob wrote:We are most certainly missing the Harry Kewell that played for us in the second half of last season.  That Harry Kewell provided our midfield with great balance, creativity and he chipped in with some important goals. 

Couldn't have put it better myself.  :buttrock

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lionheart » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:38 pm

PabloAimar wrote:'harryyy for england, en-ger-land!!'

He's an Aussie you twit!! Capped and all. Or maybe it's just a case of, 'I wish...'  :D

Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:57 pm

I am not sure I agree. Even last year (and only after Australia qualified for the World Cup) when he was playing well was still a shadow of his days at Leeds. He played well but by no means carried the team. In the second half of the season everyone played well (all excited about the WC no doubt). I do not agree that it was due to a fit Harry Kewell. He is a good player but as I keep saying his heart is not in it.

On why no one has made LM their own may well have something to do with wanting Gerrard, Alonso and Momo all playing together. Only leaves one midfielder if we play a 4 4 2. That is where squad rotation comes in. If kewell was fit now, I am not sure he would be playing every game. Are you?
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:06 am

Lionheart wrote:Rafa obviously believes in the lad hence his patience and understanding.

Maybe because every time he tries to sell him he gets injured  ???

As I said I hope he comes good so as to raise his price.

By the way, I love Australia. Fooking beautiful country. Spectacular countryside, great surf and great Marlin fishing. What a place.  :buttrock
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:19 am

Lionheart wrote:BTW...Eds, when you amke a statement that you are an Aussie that doesn't automatically give you the right to talk sh.it son. Most of us Aussies are upholding a tradition on this forum. Try to make a considered and consistent opinion rather than shooting from the hip!! Like Babu says, "Pillock"!!  :laugh:

Obviously you haven't read my latest reply to Rafa-Dodd.

Kewell is a legend (when he is firing) and like any other "soccer" lover down-under I think the guy has been great for the game in Aus. What I meant to say was that as an Aussie I like the guy but can still see the reality of things (i.e. his injury atm).

I have read so many posts on this forum (and I have been around for quite a while, but haven't bothered to post) that just slate him for being injury prone, lazy, etc, etc. Its freakin sickening!

And one more thing mate, cut that b/u\ll/s\h/i\t out about Aussies have a "tradition" on this forum. When you say something like that it makes you sound very arrogant, everyone is entitled to their opinion whether they are from Australia, England or freakin Antartica. For you to say that "I am shooting from the hip" because you don't share my views is pretty childish.
Last edited by eds on Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:45 am

kazza wrote:

I am not sure I agree. Even last year (and only after Australia qualified for the World Cup) when he was playing well was still a shadow of his days at Leeds. He played well but by no means carried the team. In the second half of the season everyone played well (all excited about the WC no doubt). I do not agree that it was due to a fit Harry Kewell. He is a good player but as I keep saying his heart is not in it.

On why no one has made LM their own may well have something to do with wanting Gerrard, Alonso and Momo all playing together. Only leaves one midfielder if we play a 4 4 2. That is where squad rotation comes in. If kewell was fit now, I am not sure he would be playing every game. Are you?

Now hold on!  I'm not for one moment suggesting Kewell "carried the team"--I merely said that he provided the midfield with good balance.  He was an important part of our success from Christmas onwards last campaign but, as you correctly say, he was one cog of a larger, well-oiled machine.  But that in itself suggests that his role was important and that's something we've missed this season.

As far as rotating this season to add one to the Momo-Xabi-Stevie trio in midfield, I would still suggest that Harry would largely walk into that midfield opening at the moment.  What our team is lacking is a viable LM counterweight to Gerard on the right and the Momo-Xabi duo in the middle.  Garcia has played some brilliant attacking football from LM but he leaves the LB far too exposed.  Aurelio at LM looks exactly like his--a LB asked to do a job at LM.  Stevie's a class player no matter where he starts but he's never a LM.  Gonzales, for whatever reason, has barely had a look-in.  That tells me that we're missing Kewell, since none of these very talented players--throw Riise into that mix as well--has had a run of games in this position.

Finally, on the matter of heart, I just want to say that I do not share your jaded view of Kewell.  I don't think he turned it on just as preparation for the World Cup.  I don't think he only has eyes for the wage packet.  I don't think he bottles things and exaggerates injuries to put his feet up.  I DO think he is a player that's had a series of long-standing, nagging injuries that have eroded both his skill and confidence as a player.  What I saw last winter, though, was a lad hungry to prove himself on the football pitch--one who, by and large delivered the goods.  And if that lad ever gets himself fit and returns to the fold, I, for one, will welcome his return--not as a saviour, but simply as an important cog in the Liverpool machine.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:57 am

The fact that no one player has made LM their own in his absence speaks volumes.

That fact no one player has made an impact in LM since John Barnes speaks volumes too :(
66-1112520797

Postby crazyhorse » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:04 am

Bad Bob wrote:
kazza wrote:

Now hold on!  I'm not for one moment suggesting Kewell "carried the team"--I merely said that he provided the midfield with good balance.  He was an important part of our success from Christmas onwards last campaign but, as you correctly say, he was one cog of a larger, well-oiled machine.  But that in itself suggests that his role was important and that's something we've missed this season.

As far as rotating this season to add one to the Momo-Xabi-Stevie trio in midfield, I would still suggest that Harry would largely walk into that midfield opening at the moment.  What our team is lacking is a viable LM counterweight to Gerard on the right and the Momo-Xabi duo in the middle.  Garcia has played some brilliant attacking football from LM but he leaves the LB far too exposed.  Aurelio at LM looks exactly like his--a LB asked to do a job at LM.  Stevie's a class player no matter where he starts but he's never a LM.  Gonzales, for whatever reason, has barely had a look-in.  That tells me that we're missing Kewell, since none of these very talented players--throw Riise into that mix as well--has had a run of games in this position.

Finally, on the matter of heart, I just want to say that I do not share your jaded view of Kewell.  I don't think he turned it on just as preparation for the World Cup.  I don't think he only has eyes for the wage packet.  I don't think he bottles things and exaggerates injuries to put his feet up.  I DO think he is a player that's had a series of long-standing, nagging injuries that have eroded both his skill and confidence as a player.  What I saw last winter, though, was a lad hungry to prove himself on the football pitch--one who, by and large delivered the goods.  And if that lad ever gets himself fit and returns to the fold, I, for one, will welcome his return--not as a saviour, but simply as an important cog in the Liverpool machine.

My thoughts exactly - great post Bob

:buttrock  :bowdown
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lionheart » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:11 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
kazza wrote:

The voice of reason in a forest of cynicism.

Bob, I dips me lid to you.  :)

Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion