Our we missing harry? - Our missing man

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby red_guy » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:59 am

Rafa-Dodd wrote:Hi all,

Do you think Liverpool are missing Harry Kewell?

I think we are missing him a heck of a lot!

Before you dismiss this as a knee jerk to the Bolton game, take time to think about it. Harry Kewell payed very well for us last year, our most improved player in my opinion. Considering we brought in Aurelio and Mark Gonzalez to compete with Harry you will instinctively say no, we have 3 players with Harry who can all play there.

A lot of people on here don't like Kewell. He didn't perform for us for the first two years and only last year did we see what we paid for. So there is a genuine reason for some of the resentment towards Harry but I think he is a intergeral part of our team. We all rave about our Momo, Carra and Gerrard but Mr Kewell did a very good job for us last year.

"Speedy" Gonzalez came to the club this year with a great wave of excitement, unjustly in my opinion. I had seem him play but some in here where making him out to be a world beater, maybe he one day will be but so far he has been an average player since I first clapped eyes on him, here and in La Liga. At the end of last year people where making out it was a given he will be No. 1 left mid. He won't. Aurelio was also brought in but is a LWB adapting to be a LB or LM depending on where Rafa wants him.

With Kewell out injured , Rafa started Aurelio and Mark at LM at the start of the season and they have not really impressed if we are being honest, I know Mark has got two goals but aint done much else. The team balance was not right, our defence has been left looking shaky and the midfield is not as strong as it was last year when they have played there.

I think Rafa has noticed this and now we are seeing our best player Steven Gerrard being played on the left, as he can play ok whatever the position, but you are asking a lot playing him there, and he is much more effective on the right. He is a great player Gerrard but putting him on the left is making him a good player.

In short, Kewell being injured is effecting us in a big way, our midfield quartet was the best in the Prem last year. Kewell was very good at tracking back, keeping the ball, excellent passing and we had the balance just right. With Aurelio and Sppedy they are much more attacking, they are faster and more direct than Harry but they are bringing a lot of negatives to the team, and leave big holes in our  two sets of four.

Now before you dismiss it out of hand let me hit you with a few stats.

- Last year Harry Kewell was out injured until 05th November 2006. While he was out our league record was:

Out of  9 games played: 3 wins, 4 draws, 2 losses - the 3 wins were all at home ( Sunderland, B'burn, W'Ham).

- Kewell played his 1st game of the season on the 5th Nov against Villa, and played in the team for the next 12 games on the bounce. Our record breaking run has started the game before. His record in the 12 games played was:

10 wins  -  1 draw  - 1 defeat.

- Harry was injured during the 1 - 0 loss to Utd and then missed  the next 2 games a draw, and a loss.

- Harry started 27 times for Liverpool last year during our most consistent season in the Premiership.

- Rafa has always stated he knows how valuable a player like Harry is.

Agree. We do miss Harry. We were strong last season because we have Harry on the and Stevie on the right...we were unstoppable. But this season, something is lacking. There's less threat on the left side, pennant is not as effective as he should be. As far as this season goes, the best we've played was when Stevie played as a right winger..and we didnt attack that much on the left flank. But with Harry on the left.....God knows what kind of damage we could do. Miss Harry? Of course we do....
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hello_red » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:05 am

i loved watching harry on the left last year, him on the left, momo and alonso in the middle and gerrard with a free right sided role is amazing in my opinion. fabio and gonzo dont cut it as of yet. the soonr harry is back the btter, riise and harry where electric down the left last year!!!
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby eds » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:06 am

NO we don't need Harry Kewell! Gonzalez will do the job for us.

For people on this forum to be making judgments on both Gonz and Aurelio after a few games and going so far to say that they are failures is downright stupid.

From what I have heard, Rafa has admitted that Gonz has not been 100% this season with an illness (not sure what it is). That's why he has appeared in a handful of games and still not been at his best. Hence why you have Gerrard covering left midfield, not because he isn't good enough.

If anyone actually saw him play in Spain, rather than claim to say that they did, you would actually see that we do have quite a talented winger. He single-handly saved Soceidad from relegation and in one game tore the "Royal Madridistas" to shreds.

The question is not about his skill level, but whether he can adapt to the English game. We saw that Nando was a failure here, but now he is smacking them in for fun at Valencia. In all honesty I think Gonzalez is better all round player, than Morientes ever was, and for this fact alone he will be awesome in a few months time. The fickle "supporters" already forget that if it wasn't for his game winning goal against the Jews we might be in the UEFA Cup.

And now people are pinning their hopes on player who will mostly likely spend more time in a doctor's chair, than out on a footy field. Makes you wonder doesn't it.

:no

BTW I live in Australia so you can shut your trap about me being a Kewell hater.
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby Leonidas08 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:37 am

I believe that Kewell, is one of the best dribblers(when he is fully fit). He has experince, and will definetly help Liverpool back on track. Cant wait to see the Aussie back :) , so unlucky not to have him vs Italy in the worldcup. Come on aussies :D, more importantly, COMEON Liverpool@!
Leonidas08

Postby babu » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:04 am

eds wrote:BTW I live in Australia so you can shut your trap about me being a Kewell hater.

what frickin difference does that make? you pillock.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Espionage » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:01 am

eds wrote:NO we don't need Harry Kewell! Gonzalez will do the job for us.

For people on this forum to be making judgments on both Gonz and Aurelio after a few games and going so far to say that they are failures is downright stupid.

From what I have heard, Rafa has admitted that Gonz has not been 100% this season with an illness (not sure what it is). That's why he has appeared in a handful of games and still not been at his best. Hence why you have Gerrard covering left midfield, not because he isn't good enough.

If anyone actually saw him play in Spain, rather than claim to say that they did, you would actually see that we do have quite a talented winger. He single-handly saved Soceidad from relegation and in one game tore the "Royal Madridistas" to shreds.

The question is not about his skill level, but whether he can adapt to the English game. We saw that Nando was a failure here, but now he is smacking them in for fun at Valencia. In all honesty I think Gonzalez is better all round player, than Morientes ever was, and for this fact alone he will be awesome in a few months time. The fickle "supporters" already forget that if it wasn't for his game winning goal against the Jews we might be in the UEFA Cup.

And now people are pinning their hopes on player who will mostly likely spend more time in a doctor's chair, than out on a footy field. Makes you wonder doesn't it.

BTW I live in Australia so you can shut your trap about me being a Kewell hater.

Why does living in Australia give you the right to slag off Kewell?

I dont think that Aurelio was ever meant to be cover for left-midfield and Gonzalez is cover for Kewell until he replaces him.
The thread is titled "our we missing our Harry?", the obvious answer is yes, because Harry would be first choice if he was fit.

Gonzalez is a better all-round player then Morientes will ever be?  Did you ever watch him before he came to Liverpool?
Espionage
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Festy » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:06 am

When will he be back btw??
ImageImageImage

-----YOU WILL NEVER WALK ALONE. WILL YOU ?-----
Festy

Postby MASTER » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:56 am

LFC BEST TEAM
When everyone is fit.
Reina
Risse
Agger
Carragher
Finnan
Kewell
Alonso
Sissoko
Gerrard
Kuyt
Bellamy
MASTER

Postby PabloAimar » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:59 am

MASTER wrote:LFC BEST TEAM
When everyone is fit.
Reina
Riise [sp]
Agger
Carragher
Finnan
Kewell
Alonso
Sissoko
Gerrard
Kuyt
Bellamy

on paper, that team would go toe-to-toe with the best in the world.

except swap and in-form robbie fowler for an in-form bellamy
we've only won it 5 times
PabloAimar

Postby stmichael » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:45 pm

amazing isn't it how players all of a sudden become better and more important when they're not playing?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:56 pm

stmichael wrote:amazing isn't it how players all of a sudden become better and more important when they're not playing?

You have to admit Kewell hasnt missed any open goals, misplaced any passes, made any bad crosses or even played badly once this season.  :D
account deleted by request

Postby lou93 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:17 pm

HAHA he's our lucky charm :D
Last edited by lou93 on Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lou93

Postby Rafa D » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:21 pm

eds wrote:NO we don't need Harry Kewell! Gonzalez will do the job for us.

So what are you basing your argument on then eds?

You say we don't need Kewell because Gonzo will do the job for us, well has he? As my post pointed out, he isn't. The midfield is looking a lot more unstable than it was last year and Harry was a major part of that midfield for over 27 games. Harry is better at tracking back than Gonzo - Fact. Harry is a better passer than Gonzo - Fact. Harry has mor ePrem experience - Fact. Harry does a better job than gonzo at LM - Fact.

Where did I ever say Gonzo and Aurelio are failures?!? I said they have not really impressed - and they haven't and I said they have been average - also a fair assumption. Gonzo has not been 100% you say? Well neither was Kewell for a season but I bet that didn't stop most Liverpool fans slating him did it?

Gonzo weren't fit for 1 game and did not make the bench. Wheres your source for this quote?

I did claim I have seen Gonzo because I did. I watched Real Sociedad whenever they were on Sky Sports not much, but I seen enough to make my assumption he aint a world class LM and is not as good as Harry Kewell. I hope he does, but so far he has not proved me wrong.

He single handedly saved Real Sociedad from relegation? What so he played on his own!
  He only played 16 games for Sociedad out of 38, how did he saved them from relegation. His 5 goals were important to them but what about the 9 goals Xabi Prieto scored? I was much more impressed with his overall game play than Mark's.

Oh and the game that he tore Real Madrid to " shreds" with a tap in and it ended 1 - 1?!?

If your going to go on about individual games then Harry rules the roost with individual games, against us and Utd where he dominated the games.

You dismiss Morientes and say Gonzo is a better overall player than Morientes. Well firstly they play different positions. But your argument is full of :censored:, Morientes has been absolutely brilliant through out his career. He is a living legend in Spain, ask Sabre and was probably one of the best goalscorers ever to come out of Spain.

You my friend need to think before you post, as you are the one who looks " downright stupid".

Reguards

Rafa Dodd  :rasp
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:29 pm

Rafa-Dodd wrote:Do you think Liverpool are missing Harry Kewell?

:laugh:   :laugh:   :laugh:  Harry Who ?

If you mean the fella that turns up from time to time and plays the odd game then the answer is NO .
Perhaps you're thinking of the highly talented aussie we signed from Leeds who then spent most of his LFC career at clinics throughout the world ?  the answer is still NO .  How can you miss what you never really had ?

:D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:33 pm

woof woof ! wrote: :laugh:   :laugh:   :laugh:  Harry Who ?

harry whoudini :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion