Our first genuine title challenge in years... - Lessons to be learned?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Bad Bob » Sun May 17, 2009 6:25 pm

Just goes to show how little margin for error there is at the very highest levels of football (and the Premiership is the elite rung on the football ladder).  As long as the lads and Rafa learn this lesson and take that knowledge into next season I'm optimistic that we'll crack it in the near future.  But, I think the fact that we have done so well and still only managed second should serve to remind people that it's just about the hardest task in football to win this league.  So, while it's important to identify where we need to improve I think it's equally important to acknowledge how much we've accomplished this season.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby tubby » Sun May 17, 2009 6:33 pm

We must aim to win all our home games next season. If we had done that this season we would be champions now.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Sun May 17, 2009 6:47 pm

bavlondon wrote:We must aim to win all our home games next season. If we had done that this season we would be champions now.

Agreed, mate.  Rebuilding Fortress Anfield is priority one to winning the title.  Priority two is putting the truly weak teams to the sword home and away.  The key to the Mancs success, besides all those jammy late goals, is the fact that they were ruthless against the bottom feeders.  Newcastle is the only team below 8th place that has taken a point off them all season and that was courtesy of an opening day draw at Old Trafford.  Assuming they beat Hull next weekend, the Mancs will have done the double over every team in places 9th through 20th in the league except Newcastle and earned themselves 66 points in the process.

By comparison, we'll have done the double over just 6 of those teams (Bolton, Blackburn, Portsmouth, Sunderland, Newcastle and West Brom), for a total of 36 points.  :O
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion