Official takeover underway? - Movement on the investment front...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The Canadian Red Army » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:03 pm

bigmick wrote:I don't know how many guys on here have been to the U.S. or Australia and watched sporting events but its worth experiencing it before you knock it. NBA in the states, Utah Jazz versus the Miami Heat and World series cricket at the MCG were awesome experiences. Not all of it would transport but I'll tell you this, the rubbish catering and terrible service we all encounter at football grounds would be a thing of the past for a start. As would standing around and trying to keep the kids interested if you get in the ground half an hour before kick-off. They have a different way of marketing sport and we've still got a whole lot to learn in my view.

sorry ive never been to an epl game but im guessing their main market is for guys from 14 and above along with girls of the same age. what happeneds at half times do the clubs play music or something of that sort. hell if you started to have liverpool cheerleaders it would help alot, what happeneds in an arena like in basketball can not be adopted to football the grounds are just to big. with american football they have cheerleaders and stuff like that to attract crowds and have some entertainment for the fans. if you look at that then you would be taking away from ur heritage this is your national game(to us over here) and by ruining it with cheerleaders and ****** will take away from the actual game and it would just americanize the game. In a hockey game in europe what do they do to keep the fans interested. that could be put to some use in football stadiums.
RIP - Drummerphil - YNWA
" Whats a holly kipper CRA? Is that a scene from batman and Robin :D" - CGGY
This is soo true - Daniel - sweetest guy in the world,soft and gentle but good in bed! hes a keeper!!!!!!
The Canadian Red Army
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:05 pm

In a hockey game in europe what do they do to keep the fans interested. that could be put to some use in football stadiums.

how the fk are we supposed to know??
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maximus » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:10 pm

The Canadian Red Army wrote:In a hockey game in europe what do they do to keep the fans interested. that could be put to some use in football stadiums.

Sorry, I cannot see the connection between a hockey game in Europe and football  ??? Is this a potential Kewell from everton moment  :suspect:  :D
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:25 pm

It is obvious from the quality of CRArmy's posting that he knows as much about football as my grandma's pet poodle.

Now I don't claim to post fantastic posts, in fact I am mainly a reader on here with the occasional comment to make, but ffs use your brain you dimwit!
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:42 pm

Sport in America is a great experience and quite the eye opener but the difference with football is the tradition behind the whole thing.

Americans in my experience tend to not mind being led in how to support their team and ice hockey over here although Ive only seen the Cardiff Dragons is a carbon copy of American sport with music leading the chants

I cant ever see that happening over here as all football clubs have fans who make their own chants and have their own style whether its witty aggresive or ironic etc but it comes from the fans not the PR people.

The impression I got is that Yanks are bemused by this but wouldnt mind having the same atmosphere but they see it as a football thing so the comparisons between sports doesnt really apply.

All sing Scouser Tommy is not something that I think will ever happen at Anfield and I hope it never does either

I wouldnt mind huge Nacho hats with dip mind you  :D
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:44 pm

taff wrote:Sport in America is a great experience and quite the eye opener but the difference with football is the tradition behind the whole thing.

Americans in my experience tend to not mind being led in how to support their team and ice hockey over here although Ive only seen the Cardiff Dragons is a carbon copy of American sport with music leading the chants

I cant ever see that happening over here as all football clubs have fans who make their own chants and have their own style whether its witty aggresive or ironic etc but it comes from the fans not the PR people.

The impression I got is that Yanks are bemused by this but wouldnt mind having the same atmosphere but they see it as a football thing so the comparisons between sports doesnt really apply.

All sing Scouser Tommy is not something that I think will ever happen at Anfield and I hope it never does either

I wouldnt mind huge Nacho hats with dip mind you  :D

Oh yes, some one going round selling the likes of wolf's nipple chips and the like would be great  :D
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Wed Dec 08, 2004 1:46 pm

:D

Can you imagine people passing on food and beer in seated areas like they do in America   :laugh:
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:34 pm

Letter to shareholders released recently:

JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby L-type » Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:30 am

wow, come on Kraft !!!
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby L-type » Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:31 am

Paul C wrote:Soccer is the way forward :D

I think we should also get cheerleaders :;): :p

like the girl in your avatar  :D
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby simic_ie » Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:55 am

OK Leon explanation in plain English, from what I've read it's still just a proposal and is still to be approved by Hawkpoint so is it really any different than any other offer that the club has had over the last couple of months?? Personally I beleive that the L4 proposal is the most attractive providing that the Kraft family is on board as I believe the youth market in the US is wide open for exploitation and is far mre lucrative than the Far East market, I stand to be corrected on this but that is my preferred option at this moment over the Mogan bid which I believe is a short term fix instead of offering a long term reward from any investement received. I agree with the board on the Morgan issue and don't believe it is the best option available to the club. In the short term it may provide a quick fix but in the long term I have yet to be shown any great reason to believe in the Morgan bid. I look forward to any opinions out there to change my beliefs
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sat Dec 11, 2004 6:34 pm

My friend in soccer’s high places

By Simon Kuper (Financial Times)

Published: December 10 2004

I soon discovered the secret of journalism: make friends at university, and then wait until they become prime ministers, professional footballers etc. Then they will tell you things.

For years none of my friends have amounted to anything. So I was relieved to hear that Stuart Ford, whom I met when he was a mere law student, had helped to assemble a bid involving the billionaire Kraft family to take over Liverpool Football Club. People who have recently considered buying Liverpool include the Gadaffis, the Thai government and the Merseyside businessman Steve Morgan, while I am also putting a bid together, but America's Krafts are now favourites to succeed. The family will probably be queuing outside some Boston pub early this morning to watch Everton v Liverpool on satellite TV.

I remember Ford from Oxford University as a centre-back who played for the Blues. For administrative reasons I myself never represented the university, but a friend who did told me: "Stuart was big and imposing but he could actually pass. In style - and he'll probably hate this if he's a Liverpool fan - he was rather like Rio Ferdinand, if 48,000 levels down." Ferdinand plays for Manchester United.

In 1997, when I was editing a literary football journal called Perfect Pitch, I asked Ford to write an article explaining why he had forsaken a possible footballing career to become a media lawyer. Ford was then already rich, and he said I needn't pay him for the article. I did anyway. I regret it now.

His article was surprisingly good. It described growing up on Merseyside as a middle-class kid who, because he could play football, ended up playing for a top working-class boys' team. "Of course, I was often goaded about my posh school or my gross misunderstanding of street fashion," he wrote. "That was just from the management."

In the late 1980s, Ford played for England schools at a junior World Cup. The English officials were ignorant and xenophobic, and the team played stupid football and was humiliated. Ford wrote: "At 17 I'd had enough of FA coaches and playing the ball 'into the channels'. I'd completely lost interest in playing at anything approaching a higher level."

The rest of his article recounts a match between Oxford University and Arsenal reserves during which Ford marked a teenage striker named Andy Cole. The boy ignored Ford's attempts at conversation, and played atrociously, until he suddenly scored two brilliant goals in a minute. Overall, though, Ford wasn't impressed: " 'Poor guy,' I thought. 'Sixteen years old and it's all downhill from here.' I silently congratulated myself on having avoided the same disappointment."

Incidentally, that same issue of Perfect Pitch contained an article by a little-known writer called Lynne Truss. Last year she published Eats Shoots and Leaves,a book about punctuation, which has sold almost 2.5m copies. I, therefore, estimate that 2/15ths of the contributors to that Perfect Pitch have become multi-millionaires, though if any of the others have too they should contact me immediately. I last saw Ford at a Perfect Pitch party, which he attended in a velvet outfit.

Later he became head of Miramax Film's global distribution business. In September I tracked him down again. Inevitably he was living in New York and married to a model who has appeared in Sex and the City; if only my other friends were as focused.

In his new mid-Atlantic accent, Ford told me he had spent years travelling the world for Miramax, often catching Liverpool matches on TV. At the Cannes film festival one year he had met Mike Jefferies, a film producer from Liverpool who had been lucky enough to sell two new-media businesses during the bubble. Within minutes they were talking about Liverpool FC. They were disappointed fans. The last Premiership club to launch its own website had not won the title or the European Cup since 1990.

Ford and Jefferies thought Liverpool were neglecting their brand. For instance, asked Ford, why didn't the club have local marketing staff in countries such as China and South Korea? "One thing I learned in Hollywood is that when you're marketing inter- nationally, there's no substitute for bloody hard work at grassroots level. Liverpool FC employ precisely nobody to do that. Why isn't the club's website available in Korean? It would cost about forty quid per week to have someone on the ground doing this." Liverpool's TV channel, Ford added, "looks like a pilot episode of Look North West circa 1976".

He and Jefferies made a list of a dozen investors who might be tempted by Liverpool. They visited the investors, paying for their own air tickets, and made their case. The Kraft family, owners of the New England Patriots American football team, liked it. The plan is to buy Liverpool, put former player and manager Kenny Dalglish on the board, perhaps give Ford a job, and then win everything. My other friends should consider this an example.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:13 am

Article from the times RE: investment

Liverpool switch their sights to US
By Oliver Kay

STEVE MORGAN, the multimillionaire who has spent the past 12 months trying to take control of Liverpool, pulled angrily out of negotiations with the club yesterday, leaving the L4 Group, backed by one of the richest families in the United States, in a strong position to become the next owners of Britain’s most successful club.
The Kraft family, owners of the New England Patriots American football franchise, are the wealthy backers of the L4 Group, a consortium that was established by Stuart Ford and Mike Jefferies, two Hollywood-based entertainment executives, and is also thought to be seeking the public support of Kenny Dalglish, arguably the greatest player in Liverpool’s history, in its efforts to buy the club.

Sources indicate that negotiations are still at an early stage, yet the signs have been sufficiently encouraging for the Liverpool board to make light of yesterday’s developments with Morgan, the third largest shareholder, who, upon withdrawing his latest £70 million investment proposal, accused the club of “using his offer as a stopgap while they scour the world looking for a better one”.

Reports on Sunday claimed that Liverpool were finally preparing to accept Morgan’s latest offer, with Rick Parry, the chief executive, quoted as saying that “the period for trawling around is coming to an end” and that it may be unrealistic to “go on looking indefinitely for the right investor to appear”. It seems, however, that, contrary to those reports, Parry was referring to the L4 Group, rather than to Morgan, founder of the Redrow property company.

In a statement yesterday, Morgan’s lawyer, Vincent Fairclough, said: “Steve has finally lost patience with the Liverpool board. He is no longer prepared to be used as a stalking horse.

“At the annual meeting (earlier this month), David Moores (the chairman) said it was ‘maybe time’ to accept Mr Morgan’s offer. However, he and the Liverpool board have since failed to respond, either positively or negatively. Steve has had enough. He has other things to do with his life.”

The accusations were denied by Parry, who said that the club could not give Morgan a definite answer once it emerged that his rival bidder, the L4 Group, was serious. “We have received a potentially exciting expression of interest which may or may not lead to a firm proposal and we feel duty bound to explore this fully,” the chief executive said. “While no one wants this to drag on, we feel we have to consider all options in a considered way. While there are other options, it’s up to us to explore them.”

The L4 Group has not yet made a firm offer for the club, but negotiations between their respective financial advisers, Seymour Pierce Limited and Hawkpoint, are continuing. It is hoped that a proposal will be forthcoming early next month, although sources indicate that it may take a good while longer for Moores to decide whether he is prepared to dilute his 51.46 per cent shareholding and to relinquish the chairmanship of the club.

Even though his comments at the weekend hinted at a heightened sense of urgency, Parry has maintained throughout a difficult year that it is a question of finding the right investor rather than the quick fix that Morgan said would guarantee “money in the bank by Christmas for Rafael Benítez (the manager) to spend on strengthening the squad in the January transfer window”.

That is now an impossibility, but the club remain confident of agreeing a fee of about £6 million for Fernando Morientes, the Real Madrid forward, who yesterday expressed his enthusiasm for a move to Merseyside. Benítez also hopes to sign a defender, with David Cortes, of Real Mallorca, and Pablo Ibáñez, of Atlético Madrid, under consideration.

Everton, meanwhile, have been told that the £12.8 million injection into the club by the Fortress Sports Fund has been transferred into the investors’ bank, but the club’s board, anxious at the latest hold up, is waiting for written confirmation before making a formal statement on the matter. The 14-day extension that Fortress had requested to finalise the investment expired on Monday, but Everton remain optimistic that the deal will be confirmed this week.

Article page
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC #1 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:24 am

Leonmc0708 wrote:He and Jefferies made a list of a dozen investors who might be tempted by Liverpool. They visited the investors, paying for their own air tickets, and made their case. The Kraft family, owners of the New England Patriots American football team, liked it. The plan is to buy Liverpool, put former player and manager Kenny Dalglish on the board, perhaps give Ford a job, and then win everything. My other friends should consider this an example.

sounds encouraging.  :)
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redirish » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:29 pm

Leon
Great work there, must be a bit quite in work eh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
redirish

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion