Movement off the ball

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby sinema » Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:33 am

stu_the_red wrote:
Yes Stu, once again, why dont you state the obvious.....................duh, my brain hurts.

However like Liverpool, treble winning side, one dimmensional, were found out, and teams knew how to beat us, Greece, one dimensional, they will never win a major tournament again.

If that is the cas why dont we pack 9 men in defence, let teams come to us then hoof a long ball up to Cisse or Baros or even better, put 4 men on the goal line, goalkeeper in fronnt of those men, and 5 in defence, then again, hoof up the pitch.

BORING ISN'T IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally i didn't think Liverpools tactical play was the problem. Infact that was a major strength in finishing second and winning the treble, over 2 seasons. We got "found out" so to speak down to a lack of progression in the right areas. Not down to the same tactics.

The reason we didn't push on was due to bad signings. Not bad tactics.

Stu,
I do like reading your posts, and I know you like to be controversial and argumentative - that's the fun of this forum, but please stop referring to the "treble".  If you're honest you'll agree that we were lucky to beat Arsenal, Birmingham and even Alaves (who?).  Please explain how tactics played any part in those wins.  Did we plan to beat Arsenal with two very late goals after letting them play us off the park?  Amazing tactics too to beat Birmingham from the second division on penalties.  As for Alaves, to allow them to come back from a seemingly impossible position and see them off with an own goal was a masterpiece.  Get real, Stu .  I love the Reds but I try not to delude myself.
Still, keep the posts coming.  I enjoy the cut and thrust.
sinema

Postby A.B. » Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:58 am

stu_the_red wrote:
i watched luis garcia quite closely on saturday and i thought his movement was exceptional. it almost reminded me of the way peter beardsley used to play. 

passing and movement is what football is all about. it is why arsenal are so good at the moment. their movement off the ball and constant interchanging of positions makes the almost irresistable at times.

i remember watching valencia at anfield a couple of years back. i said that it was the best passing and movement i had seen from an away team in many years. if rafa can get us playing with anywhere near the same confidence i will be very happy as a fan

Passing and movement isn't what footballs about. Its about scoring more than the opposition.

The thing that annoys me is people think you have to be great at these to become a superb side. You don't. You have to play to your strengths. Look at Greece, the treble winning Liverpool side, the great Italian teams of the early 90's and 80's.

Why do people class passing as being pleasing on the eye? I'd much rather my team simply overpowered and dominated teams than play pretty passing.

As long as we play to our strengths i don't care what "style" we play.

Stu you're like a musquito who won't stop sucking the blood out of the neck.

Seriously what is wrong with you?

Look at Greece now, they are pathetic. They beat Portugal but get beaten by Albania.

Passing and movement gets you to the goal which equals goals.

You can't shoot the ball from the center of the field and hope to score. If your passing and movement is superior than your opponent you will score more goals than them.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby azriahmad » Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:50 am

Good workmanlike victory, with the team showing the signs that they are getting to play the 4-4-1-1 system Benithez is employing.

A lot of good passing build-ups but the second half was a wee bit worrying with Monaco having a lion's share of the possession before we scored the second. We had plenty of chances to win by 4 goals or so. The worrying bit is the hesitency between Dudek and Carra - Dudek seems afraid to come off his line when he needed to!

I mentioned in another thread that we had not have such a skillful striker since Kenny but I guess I forgot Beardsley. How can I forget one member of the free flowing side of 1987-88... but I think Garcia is more accomplished in his all round abilities while Beardsley is more skillful on the ball.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:46 am

sinema wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:
Yes Stu, once again, why dont you state the obvious.....................duh, my brain hurts.

However like Liverpool, treble winning side, one dimmensional, were found out, and teams knew how to beat us, Greece, one dimensional, they will never win a major tournament again.

If that is the cas why dont we pack 9 men in defence, let teams come to us then hoof a long ball up to Cisse or Baros or even better, put 4 men on the goal line, goalkeeper in fronnt of those men, and 5 in defence, then again, hoof up the pitch.

Personally i didn't think Liverpools tactical play was the problem. Infact that was a major strength in finishing second and winning the treble, over 2 seasons. We got "found out" so to speak down to a lack of progression in the right areas. Not down to the same tactics.

Stu,
I do like reading your posts, and I know you like to be controversial and argumentative - that's the fun of this forum, but please stop referring to the "treble".  If you're honest you'll agree that we were lucky to beat Arsenal, Birmingham and even Alaves (who?).  Please explain how tactics played any part in those wins.  Did we plan to beat Arsenal with two very late goals after letting them play us off the park?  Amazing tactics too to beat Birmingham from the second division on penalties.  As for Alaves, to allow them to come back from a seemingly impossible position and see them off with an own goal was a masterpiece.  Get real, Stu .  I love the Reds but I try not to delude myself.

you'll find there are people on this forum who have been trying to tell stu and others this for ages.

the "treble" talk sometimes makes me cringe.
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
jim_morrison_supported_liverpool
LFC Super Member

Postby Redrider » Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:23 am

Alonso is the new springboard for the pass and move, Kewell was a revelation last night from Alonso's quick service. :cool:
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby Paul C » Thu Sep 16, 2004 11:06 am

I wouldn't say Kewell was a revelation ???, he played well but drifted in and out of the game :(
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maximus » Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:08 pm

jim_morrison_supported_liverpool wrote:
sinema wrote:
stu_the_red wrote:

Stu,

you'll find there are people on this forum who have been trying to tell stu and others this for ages.

the "treble" talk sometimes makes me cringe.

Jimbo,

My thoughts exactly, the treble talk does make me cringe.

In years to come Stu will be telling his grandchildren about the 'Quintiple' Liverpool completed in 2001, because you are forgetting the Super Cup and...................................Charity Shield!!  :D
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby kindaconfuzed » Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:25 pm

Cudnt be ar*ed reading all the threads so here goes:-

The only movement off the balls I get is at the weekend  :;):
I'll take on board yer problem but not yer anger
If it aint funny it aint right
I used to have an avatar of a girl rubbing her breasts but it was considered sexist - guys can you just imagine
Still waitin for the call for the ELITE MEMBERS DISCUSSION (forms in the post?)
kindaconfuzed
LFC Elite Member

Postby maximus » Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:46 pm

kindaconfuzed wrote:Cudnt be ar*ed reading all the threads so here goes:-

The only movement off the balls I get is at the weekend  :;):

Love it!!  :laugh:  :laugh:  :D
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby supersub » Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:11 am

stu_the_red wrote:

Passing and movement isn't what footballs about. Its about scoring more than the opposition.

Why do people class passing as being pleasing on the eye? I'd much rather my team simply overpowered and dominated teams than play pretty passing.

As long as we play to our strengths i don't care what "style" we play.

I thought the performance of Alonso was the most pleasing thing yesterday and he never scored.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion