Official takeover underway? - Movement on the investment front...

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sean » Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:42 pm

In Ireland we play Gaelic football.  Kevin Moran was a star player before moving to England in the '70's.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby Paul C » Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:48 pm

Sean wrote:In Ireland we play Gaelic football.  Kevin Moran was a star player before moving to England in the '70's.

G3y-lic  :D

That was a funny Ali G moment, sorry I had to  :(
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:54 pm

simic_ie wrote:Things may change a small bit, there may be a bit of razmatazz at half time in the US but that doesn't mean the whole world has to do it, and as for time outs, that has to be a FIFA directive and i doubt its not gonna happen, lets face it, the whole world isn't gonna start calling football soccer just because the Americans do. They don't hold that much sway. Besides, American football isn't actually football, they should change its name to avoid confusion if anything. Like start calling it "runnythrowyandoccasionallyfootball" but I doubt that'll catch! :D

The sport is called football, and any sport that uses the foot is called football there are just different types. Football is Assosiation football, in Australia, football is what we know as Australian Football etc. Let's just get a bit of realism here, football is football end of.

Actually there were stories of quarters and time out during the world cup in 1994 but the American organiser spoke out to say that they wouldnt dare change the rules as the World would get annoyed and they were keen to promote the game and hold the tournament on their soil
It was in fact FIFA who toyed with some changes as the world cup in America would have given them an excellent opportunity

Im all for some American bashing and dont really trust them with the football/soccer thing but it is them who are desperate to enter the most popular sport in the world not the other way round as weve all got on ok without them

The propsed buying of Manu by a Yank and the L4 thing with us in myh view is the start of businessmen trying to get the game going in the USA as there is a HUGE money market there that is still untapped

My fear however is it has failed before so if the Yanks dont take to "soccer" again these are businessmen who will pull out

Or it takes off and Liverpool become market leaders and in top five clubs in the world league for marketing money etc and we totally open up the whole of America Nort Central and South with feeder clubs etc

Im sure they will want this to be a success but I feel it is probably as a way to expand it in the USA first and foremost and that has the risk element attached
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:16 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
Redrider wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:Redrider - please please please stop calling football soccer.

Sorry Leon, But if this US deal comes off, then look out for greater use of title.
In the US, the term Football means American Football, to avoid confusion they call our game Soccer.

If one American comes in as part of a consortium to buy one Premier League side, then do you think the sport will be re-named ?

Not in the UK or even Europe, but in the US they do and will call it soccer. The only difference it will make is when we communicate with the US and try and sell things there etc. we will have to call it soccer.
I don't think we will have to change our name to Liverpool Soccer Club!! LSC !! , that could be almost as bad as a groundshare, Leon, Woolyback and simic, would be a tad upset!
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:39 pm

I don't know how many guys on here have been to the U.S. or Australia and watched sporting events but its worth experiencing it before you knock it. NBA in the states, Utah Jazz versus the Miami Heat and World series cricket at the MCG were awesome experiences. Not all of it would transport but I'll tell you this, the rubbish catering and terrible service we all encounter at football grounds would be a thing of the past for a start. As would standing around and trying to keep the kids interested if you get in the ground half an hour before kick-off. They have a different way of marketing sport and we've still got a whole lot to learn in my view.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:13 pm

bigmick wrote:I don't know how many guys on here have been to the U.S. or Australia and watched sporting events but its worth experiencing it before you knock it. NBA in the states, Utah Jazz versus the Miami Heat and World series cricket at the MCG were awesome experiences. Not all of it would transport but I'll tell you this, the rubbish catering and terrible service we all encounter at football grounds would be a thing of the past for a start. As would standing around and trying to keep the kids interested if you get in the ground half an hour before kick-off. They have a different way of marketing sport and we've still got a whole lot to learn in my view.

I agree there Mick!!  :(
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:17 pm

bigmick wrote:I don't know how many guys on here have been to the U.S. or Australia and watched sporting events but its worth experiencing it before you knock it.

Big style Mick, It will be superb for LFC, if this comes off.
Liverpool SOCCER Club will become world leaders with our involvement with the US.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby Paul C » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:21 pm

Soccer is the way forward :D

I think we should also get cheerleaders :;): :p
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Honolulu Bob » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:36 pm

Yeah and I wanna see Janet Jackson get her TADS out in front of the Kop!  :D
When you are a man, sometimes you wear stretchy pants in your room. It's for fun
Honolulu Bob
LFC Super Member

Postby simic_ie » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:45 pm

Honolulu Bob wrote:Yeah and I wanna see Janet Jackson get her TADS out in front of the Kop!  :D

lol, nice one Bob, that'd raise a cheer anyway.
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby simic_ie » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:50 pm

taff wrote:
simic_ie wrote:Things may change a small bit, there may be a bit of razmatazz at half time in the US but that doesn't mean the whole world has to do it, and as for time outs, that has to be a FIFA directive and i doubt its not gonna happen, lets face it, the whole world isn't gonna start calling football soccer just because the Americans do. They don't hold that much sway. Besides, American football isn't actually football, they should change its name to avoid confusion if anything. Like start calling it "runnythrowyandoccasionallyfootball" but I doubt that'll catch! :D

The sport is called football, and any sport that uses the foot is called football there are just different types. Football is Assosiation football, in Australia, football is what we know as Australian Football etc. Let's just get a bit of realism here, football is football end of.

Actually there were stories of quarters and time out during the world cup in 1994 but the American organiser spoke out to say that they wouldnt dare change the rules as the World would get annoyed and they were keen to promote the game and hold the tournament on their soil
It was in fact FIFA who toyed with some changes as the world cup in America would have given them an excellent opportunity

Im all for some American bashing and dont really trust them with the football/soccer thing but it is them who are desperate to enter the most popular sport in the world not the other way round as weve all got on ok without them

The propsed buying of Manu by a Yank and the L4 thing with us in myh view is the start of businessmen trying to get the game going in the USA as there is a HUGE money market there that is still untapped

My fear however is it has failed before so if the Yanks dont take to "soccer" again these are businessmen who will pull out

Or it takes off and Liverpool become market leaders and in top five clubs in the world league for marketing money etc and we totally open up the whole of America Nort Central and South with feeder clubs etc

Im sure they will want this to be a success but I feel it is probably as a way to expand it in the USA first and foremost and that has the risk element attached

Thats the chance we have to take taff. The market in the US is massive, its the number 1 sport among children in the US. If this is exploited, as only business men with the knowledge of the market can do, then the club is set-up a long time to come. I think this is an ideal time to get a jump start on nearly every major club in Europe. I don't think we will ever be re-branded Liverpool Soccer Club just to suit that market. I think if an American investor is onboard the deal, for the club, would be potentially worth far more than the initial £100m or so investment.
“It was my first of the season, my last of the season, my best of the season and the one I will remember for ever.”

- Vladi Smicer after scoring in the CL Final

"I'm not a believer in fate..... until tonight, they're going to win it!"
-  Liam Brady after extra time of CL Final
simic_ie
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Tue Dec 07, 2004 8:45 pm

simic_ie wrote:
Honolulu Bob wrote:Yeah and I wanna see Janet Jackson get her TADS out in front of the Kop!  :D

lol, nice one Bob, that'd raise a cheer anyway.

As the players can't do it! Then all the cheerleaders have to take their top's off when ever we score !!
I think we need to invest in a few more strikers !!  :D   :D
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby JBG » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:07 pm

I think the American market thing is over stated.

I don't ever see European football being popular on a nationwide scale in the US.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Americans only like domestic sport: be it American football, basketball, baseball, NASCAR or ice hockey, they like to keep it American. They don't have much interest on a broad level in overseas events, and events like the Olympics and golf tournaments are only watched when American athletes and golfers are involved.

Football is growing in the US, but I think the American public wants quality domestic stars, and won't really watch the Premiership or Champions League highlights on tv. European football will always be a niche market in the US and nothing more.

If football ever takes off in the US I guarantee that 90% of the world's top players will be imported into the US, as the US audience will want to see those players playing in US leagues in massive stadiums, and not on tv.

Even a well tuned and powerful marketing machine like Man UTD have struggled to make a real impact. Of course, even a niche market in the US is a small pot of gold, but I seriously doubt that we'll see Liverpool and Man UTD jersey's ever selling in their millions stateside. If their is a market for millions of football kits to be sold in the US in the future, it will be the jerseys of a club from somewhere like Los Angeles with Adu, Henry or Rooney emblazoned on the back.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Redrider » Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:25 pm

The key is that soccer, is now very big in US Schools, the parents and teachers like the low-contact, high skill content for kid's. It is also very popular with girls. So it is expanding year on year and is the sport of the future in the US.
The US market is enormous and also much wealthier than the far east, so has considerable potential.
Kid's in the US are gagging for UK football memorabilia and LFC are up on their list !!
I often take shirts and scarves for US workmates kid's when I go over to HQ in the US.
I can assure you this will be huge for LFC, if it comes off and we retain the marketing rights, the promo' value will be worth mega-bucks, much more than the original cash input, smic-ie is correct in his assesments.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby LFC #1 » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:23 pm

Redrider wrote:I don't think we will have to change our name to Liverpool Soccer Club!! LSC !! ,

if that happened i would go off my ****** nut.
LFC #1
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion