Movement off the ball

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Paul C » Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:49 pm

It's nice to see the lads moving off the ball since Beni took over, this is something I have raised last season but I feel Beni has got the team passing and moving, you only have to look at the Garcia goal at the weekend.  :cool:
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:00 pm

i was thinking the same thing earlier paul
we have a lot more movement this term and playing with almost wing backs is a major improvement on last season as it just gives us more choice and the playmakers can find space more for more passes to more people
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:03 pm

i watched luis garcia quite closely on saturday and i thought his movement was exceptional. it almost reminded me of the way peter beardsley used to play. :)

passing and movement is what football is all about. it is why arsenal are so good at the moment. their movement off the ball and constant interchanging of positions makes the almost irresistable at times.

i remember watching valencia at anfield a couple of years back. i said that it was the best passing and movement i had seen from an away team in many years. if rafa can get us playing with anywhere near the same confidence i will be very happy as a fan! :)
Last edited by stmichael on Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Paul C » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:35 pm

He's prett the Beardsley though but I think most people are :D
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fat Controller » Wed Sep 15, 2004 3:54 pm

I would agree with stmichael when he says that football is all about passing and movement and no more so than in todays modern game when footballers all seem to be super fit.Not sure if any of you watched the Celtic v Barcelona match last night but if you wanted to see what todays game was all about then all you needed to do was watch how Barcelona went about their job last night and yes the type of football they played was all pass and move,brilliant.
Fat Controller

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:07 pm

i watched luis garcia quite closely on saturday and i thought his movement was exceptional. it almost reminded me of the way peter beardsley used to play. 

passing and movement is what football is all about. it is why arsenal are so good at the moment. their movement off the ball and constant interchanging of positions makes the almost irresistable at times.

i remember watching valencia at anfield a couple of years back. i said that it was the best passing and movement i had seen from an away team in many years. if rafa can get us playing with anywhere near the same confidence i will be very happy as a fan

Passing and movement isn't what footballs about. Its about scoring more than the opposition.

The thing that annoys me is people think you have to be great at these to become a superb side. You don't. You have to play to your strengths. Look at Greece, the treble winning Liverpool side, the great Italian teams of the early 90's and 80's.

Why do people class passing as being pleasing on the eye? I'd much rather my team simply overpowered and dominated teams than play pretty passing.

As long as we play to our strengths i don't care what "style" we play.
115-1073096938

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:41 pm

even in the successful years with houllier it always niggled me why he wasnt bothered that our players didnt play pass and move.

it really frustrated me the last 2 seasons.

as a manager, how can you live with yourself when you can see your team does not not move well? surely when you know this you would try your best to change this?
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
jim_morrison_supported_liverpool
LFC Super Member

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:44 pm

stu look up bill shankly and discover why pass and move is essential.

greece wont do that again, and no prizes for guessing what happened to the liverpool "treble winning" side.

al the teams that last realise that as  a team you have to play together, work for each other, all over the park.

its not about being pretty, its the team ethic, whether in football or anything else
its not the chilli sauce on kebabs that give you ring-sting, its the actual meat. had one without chilli, and still had ring-sting. the chilli's only there to mask the nonsense they stuff inside that bread.
LFC Super Member

Postby maximus » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:38 pm

stu_the_red wrote:
i watched luis garcia quite closely on saturday and i thought his movement was exceptional. it almost reminded me of the way peter beardsley used to play. 

i remember watching valencia at anfield a couple of years back. i said that it was the best passing and movement i had seen from an away team in many years. if rafa can get us playing with anywhere near the same confidence i will be very happy as a fan

Passing and movement isn't what footballs about. Its about scoring more than the opposition.

The thing that annoys me is people think you have to be great at these to become a superb side. You don't. You have to play to your strengths. Look at Greece, the treble winning Liverpool side, the great Italian teams of the early 90's and 80's.

Why do people class passing as being pleasing on the eye? I'd much rather my team simply overpowered and dominated teams than play pretty passing.

As long as we play to our strengths i don't care what "style" we play.

Yes Stu, once again, why dont you state the obvious.....................duh, my brain hurts.

However like Liverpool, treble winning side, one dimmensional, were found out, and teams knew how to beat us, Greece, one dimensional, they will never win a major tournament again.

If that is the cas why dont we pack 9 men in defence, let teams come to us then hoof a long ball up to Cisse or Baros or even better, put 4 men on the goal line, goalkeeper in fronnt of those men, and 5 in defence, then again, hoof up the pitch.

BORING ISN'T IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
maximus
LFC Super Member

Postby jim_morrison_supported_liverpool » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:49 pm

i think what stu is sayin is play to your strengths.
he's not sayin just defend etc.

the thing is, any eleven players can move and work for each other. its not a "strength" if you can do it, or a "weakness"  if you dont. every team should work and move for each other.
stu misses that point, and as you said, those teams he mentioned will always be found out. the facts are there for all to see
LFC Super Member

Postby Redrider » Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:16 pm

The best examples of 'pass and move' displayed by a Liverpool Team, remain with the teams of the 80's. Where, Souness and Terry Mcdermott were the springboard for the defence splitting passages of movement, that allowed Dalglish and Rush to be such a devastating pair in the box. Most of the goals of that era came from balls played along the ground into spaces opened up by the positional running of the deadly duo, each working for the other.
Laterly, Micheal Owen was displaying the art of movement to create space, however there was no strike partner at Liverpool last season to benefit from his movement and apart from SG's arrows there was little in the way of swift creative passing and movement from the midfield players to breakdown the opposition mid-field. The main beneficiary of MO's Skill was Wayne Rooney in Euro2004, who was able to run into space created by Owen and feed of his quick movement.
If Rafa can re-generate some of the old skills in the new team, then 'Rock On'
:blues:  :blues:
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:33 pm

Yes Stu, once again, why dont you state the obvious.....................duh, my brain hurts.

However like Liverpool, treble winning side, one dimmensional, were found out, and teams knew how to beat us, Greece, one dimensional, they will never win a major tournament again.

If that is the cas why dont we pack 9 men in defence, let teams come to us then hoof a long ball up to Cisse or Baros or even better, put 4 men on the goal line, goalkeeper in fronnt of those men, and 5 in defence, then again, hoof up the pitch.

BORING ISN'T IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally i didn't think Liverpools tactical play was the problem. Infact that was a major strength in finishing second and winning the treble, over 2 seasons. We got "found out" so to speak down to a lack of progression in the right areas. Not down to the same tactics.

The reason we didn't push on was due to bad signings. Not bad tactics.
115-1073096938

Postby Redrider » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:43 pm

Excellent movement tonight, with some superb through balls. Garcia should have had a hat-trick.:cool: :cool:
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby Paul C » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:44 pm

I agree with what everyone has said, even Stu :D
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:48 pm

You must be drunk. :p
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion