Finally.... - Movement

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Sun May 09, 2004 12:47 pm

yesterday one of the main differences for me was the movement which our midfielders and front players produced when we attacked. for a lot of the season we have counter-attacked and the move has simply fizzled out because we have tried to play the ball over the top. yesterday, everything was played to feet.

brum just couldn't cope with the movement of our midfield and as a result we ran the game. i dunno if you noticed but all 4 midfielders were constantly interchanging positions. at one stage we had kewell on the right, gerrard on the left, murphy tucked in. owen and heskey were also finding space at will. the way we played actually reminded me a lot of arsenal (no i'm not getting carried away).

what do you reckon?
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby The_Rock » Sun May 09, 2004 1:29 pm

To really challenage for the title, i still think we need a right winger and  creative central midfielder (to partner Gerrard). Hamman is great but he is not the type of player we need if we are to move forward. And Murphy is good, but i would not have him in my 1st team.

Man, how i wish arsenal had sold pennant to leeds instead of loaning him. This way we could have bought him cheap next season and solve our right midfield problem once and for all.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun May 09, 2004 1:39 pm

MUST get malbranque. the guy is awesome. creates and scores goals. as for right wing, van der meyde or rommedahl are my first choices.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun May 09, 2004 3:06 pm

Rommedahl of PSV? ???

He's quick... thats it.

The movement was good yesterday. We had willing runners but we were playing an inferior side. You can't play the same against the top sides and expect to win easily as movement causes players to be caught out of position.

Its a catch 22 situation. Yesterday and for the last 3 games before it we got it spot on. At last the confdence is starting to come back.
115-1073096938

Postby JohnBull » Sun May 09, 2004 3:15 pm

We DO NOT need anyone to come straight in to the first team!!!!
We do need genuine cover for the main positions. Now is the time to return to the winning formula of buying potential and bringing them up in The Liverpool tradition by playing them in the reserves until they learn their trade.
We are apparently stuck with Cisse but if he needs the old style,as played yesterday,to change then he will be another EHD and the disruptions will be the same.
Houllier has got to stop making multi-million pound guesses.
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Sun May 09, 2004 4:25 pm

We don't need anyone to come into the first team?

You are having a laugh?

We NEED a new striker partner for Owen. We NEED a pacey centre half to partner big Sami, we could do with a right winger who'll work hard score goals and provide width.
115-1073096938

Postby kenco » Sun May 09, 2004 8:52 pm

The difference yesterday was haman did'nt always sit in front of the back four he played a more attacking role at times, which meant we had a lot moore options.He should of done the same for the whole season, except the dickhead of a manager we've got was to cautious to see that. :(
"This club exists to win trophies"...rafa benitez.
kenco
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JohnBull » Mon May 10, 2004 2:27 pm

If Houllier had just continued with the best formation we've had and not tried to prove stupid point after stupid point by playing the cr#p he'd paid millions for and trying to fool us into thinking "they will come good" we would be a lot closer to Arsenal than we are.
Wholesale changes in playing staff have caused the problems, the side last saturday should have been played far more often. If injuries come along then use the reserves who should be playing the same basic style giving a like for like replacement (I'm not saying that we've got another Owen but there are better homegrown lads than the Houllier imports)
We don't need another strke partner for Owen we've already got the man but he's been "taught" another game by the Headmaster and we don't need another partner for Hyppia we might need another Hamman who's job is all important.
There is too much pointing at wantaway players from abroad , just because some tabloid says he's a great player doesn't make it so. The English game is different from all others.
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Mon May 10, 2004 2:38 pm

It was good to see movement off the ball, everyone has been commenting on the 2D footie we have play this season and why GH hasn't picked up on it I dunno.

We really need a creative midfielder on the right side, cue Van der Vaart  :)
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redtribe » Mon May 10, 2004 4:27 pm

For my reckoning we need 4 first team players to come in

Centre Half
Centre Mid
Right Mid
Forward

And to say we are stuck with Cisse is an amazing statement!

I havnt read any paper biging this man up
All i know of him are Stats Matcg reports and highlights i have seen
Stats being he is top scorer in France 3 seasons running
He looks quick strong good in the air attacking and a real handful!
And reports from the French camp saying he is one of there most exciting prospects!
Redtribe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rimetto » Mon May 10, 2004 4:27 pm

This weekend just proved how much we've under performed this season. The movement and passing we produced was some of the best football i've seen us play all season. Why was that? ???

Because we played a 4-4-2 formation with players that have premiership experience and are not GH Maybe greats.

Heskey as had his best 2 games for us now because he knows he's almost certainly out of the door and needs to impress. To little to late we can't keep him hoping that he's going to produce the goods.

Malbranque would be a great purchase for us. I watched him yesterday against arsenal and even if it wasn't one of his better games he still looked class and was always dangerous when around the edge of the box and difficult to get the ball off.
Rimetto
LFC Elite Member

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion