Pre season 2008/2009 - Official thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Thingy » Sun May 11, 2008 1:13 am

Freddy Adu vastly overhyped. Aguero would be fantastic though.
Thingy

Postby username » Sun May 11, 2008 1:50 am

Thingy wrote:Freddy Adu vastly overhyped. Aguero would be fantastic though.

There both born on the same day june 2nd (which is my birthday)
"Fernando Towers won't triumph in the premiership.
And you can quote me on that. " - Sabre 2007
Sorry Sabre, but when i see stuff like this i have to quote it :D
username

Postby flamingpoe » Tue May 13, 2008 2:06 am

freddy is slightly over rated but still.......better than pennant!!
as for more kids here we are on the tube again!
1.)carlos eduardo - fantastic dribbler, could use him as a right wing forward!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zb5d6FyMBc
2.) ivan rakitic - up and coming winger, croatian will become a star soon trust!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3tqFdhWPf0
3.)jean carlos vela - a young mexican striker, dunno what to say other than quick
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9409c1t9XMc
4.)matias fernandez - alot of gossip saying that rafa's interested, all i gotta say is prepare to get your :censored: handed to you lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tirVQPCmhkI
5.)jeremy menez - 1 word.........footwork
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b0ijzDjagI&feature=related
6.)luka modric - unreal worker.........eeeee's bloody everywhere!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aUGD3IkVaA
7.)toni kroos - incredible seventeen year old!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k9B2DgyDXg
8.)ezequiel lavezzi - i reckon hes somewhat like kuyt and pennant combined!, worker that can actually shot and play the balls!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BAmpvZlzsE
9.)luis suarez - a kid with pace and control!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aPsG11Faxs
10.)mario gomez - strength and pace and aerial ability
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WD3XLLPBZA
flamingpoe

Postby Greavesie » Tue May 13, 2008 2:39 am

My first post, and Hi to everyone here on Newkit :)

Although we've had some good performers this season, there is little doubt over who's player of the season is there? I know some wanted an option for Voronin and he's a close second :D

Gotta be Fernando! first season and showed his class. Here's hoping he can do the same next season! :)

wrong thread  :blush:
Last edited by Greavesie on Tue May 13, 2008 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Greavesie » Tue May 13, 2008 2:42 am

great start eh? :D
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby account deleted by request » Tue May 13, 2008 3:10 am

I have read we are going to play Villareal on July 30'th as part of the deal which brought Pepe to Anfield

Also :-

Barry Wilson Testimonial v Liverpool
Written by Wilson Testimonial Committee
Wednesday, 07 May 2008
BARRY KOPS A HUGE DRAW FOR TESTIMONIAL

Caley Thistle midfielder Barry Wilson has signed up what could be the biggest football name ever to hit Inverness when a Liverpool XI visit the Caledonian Stadium on Monday August 18th for his testimonial match.

This will give local football fans as well as a huge number of visitors to the city the opportunity to see one of the most successful clubs in the history of European football meet head to head with the Inverness's SPL side.

The match, which is expected to be a huge crowd puller, is a major coup for the fleet footed winger who has played such a decisive part in Caley Thistle's rise up the leagues all the way from the Third Division.

"I was so pleased to get a testimonial and the icing on the cake certainly has to be attracting a huge club the size of Liverpool for the game to Inverness," he said. "Already I just know that the occasion will give football fans up here a night to remember and the atmosphere in the stadium will be fantastic. I've already had a great dinner, there's a golf day coming up at the end of June and then we're going to have the climax of this major draw for the testimonial match. I'm just delighted"

It's been a busy few months for Barry's testimonial committee who have put together an attractive range of events, including also a sell out dinner in March and a golf day next month, but this one tops them all.

Tickets have been attractively priced at £15 for adults and £7 for children with a special family offer of two adults and two children for £40. These will be on sale to priority groups (Caley Thistle season ticket holders, shareholders, centenary club, supporters' trust and supporters' club members) from Monday 12th May and any unsold tickets, including away stand tickets, will go on general release from Monday 19th May at the Caledonian Stadium ticket office.

Barry Wilson first signed for Caley Thistle in 1996 after spells at Ross County, Southampton and Raith Rovers. His time in Inverness has been split by three years at Livingston and he has played a central role in Caley Thistle's rise from Division 3 to the SPL.

His 336 appearances have been surpassed only by Ross Tokely and he has scored 82 goals, a figure which only Dennis Wyness now heads. These include one each in the famous 3-1 victory at Celtic Park in 2000 and in the win by the same score over St. Johnstone which secured SPL status in 2004.

And he's still going strong. Just last Saturday Barry scored the goal of the game for Caley Thistle in their record breaking 6-1 home win over Gretna in the SPL.

Very much a fans' favourite, Barry's status with the ICT support should certainly guarantee a massive crowd on a huge night for Inverness football on August 18th.
account deleted by request

Postby dawson99 » Tue May 13, 2008 10:49 am

what games we playing pre season in the uk? might make a weekend out of one of them and grab a game, could be a laugh
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Zi-Dan Agger » Tue May 13, 2008 11:08 pm

flamingpoe wrote:nemeth is a good player, but if i had to pick n e one for our first team dani pacheco, would be the one at barca before he signed for us he reportedly raijkard said bojan, him and dos santos were the pic of the bunch, the otha two are stunningly good so dani must be good, as to paying out 15m for aguero, to be honest if it was me i wud fund his move with many of our players, i wud probs sacrifice 2-3 of our dont deserve to play for and buy him!!, hella take your pic from this bunch!
voronin, crouch, pennant, benayoun.......i like a benayoun, but he is still all the same replaceable
so many kids around at the mo, take a look at these soz but they are youtube!!, maypax i dont need any sarcasticness!! :D :D
marcelo moreno - incredible kid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ye-_Mz2-WI
freddy adu - winger replacement, damsite improvement on pennant!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGFO-qiuC38
theres more, but they should do for a while!

As weve seen by Benitez's selcetions at the end of the season Insua and Plessis are the clost players to making the 1st team next season (San Jose and El Zhar also made the squads but i cant see them coming through next season or indeed at any time).

Pacheco does look promising though but he is definately not ready for the 1st team, he has hardly been 1st choice in the reserves this season.  Id expect to see Insua, Plessis, Nemeth and possibly Brouwer feature in pre-season.  None of the others have a chance next season I dont think.  Pacheco is definately one for the future, Bruna is also another player who has a lot of talent and could turn out to be a superstar... just not yet.
Zi-Dan Agger

Postby flamingpoe » Thu May 15, 2008 2:29 am

i suppose i agree zi-dan agger, also i watched the zenit st petersburg vs rangers, shame rangers lost 2:0 but i seen that kid a few of you lot have been talkin about Andrey Arshavin we should sign that boy he wud play well as a winger, but im my eyes we want to get the otha kid i've been raving about.... matias fernandez, if those two cam play  arshavin on the attacking right mid, and fernandez as our left winger, use babel as left wing forward........could be interesting if we got n e of these 2!
also aguero wud be nice!.........hey we can all dream cant we!
flamingpoe

Postby Dundalk » Thu May 22, 2008 7:14 pm

Liverpool have confirmed that they will travel to Spain to face Villarreal in a pre-season friendly on Wednesday, July 30.
The clash against Manuel Pellegrini's side, who finished second in La Liga behind champions Real Madrid, has been arranged under the terms of the deal that saw three times Golden Glove winner Pepe Reina move from El Madrigal to Anfield in the summer of 2005.

The kick-off time for the friendly clash is still to be confirmed.
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby flamingpoe » Fri May 23, 2008 2:59 am

hopefully lol we talk to villareal about fernandez whils't were there!! lol o lol
(can but dream!)
flamingpoe

Postby account deleted by request » Sat May 24, 2008 12:26 pm

Warning to Happy clappers - this post may cause temporary blindness, epileptic fits, dizzy spells or irrational rage.

Its still only May and already I have the feeling we are going to be disappointed by the ins and outs at Liverpool this year. Lots of big name, top quality talented players seem to be on the move or available, all with one thing in common...........no word of any interest by Liverpool.

Last close season we had the "get our transfers done early" speech by Rafa, followed by weeks and weeks of rumours as various less than ideal players (who can forget the Forlan or Bent rumours before we finally signed TORRES :cool:  )were touted as joining us.

This close season I have the feeling that our transfers will be less than inspiring and we will probably finish up with Barry, Degan, Dossena and possibly YET another gamble on YET another cheap winger making the step up in class. 

As BigMick would say I know its early but..............I think its going to be a summer of watching as a lot of top players move clubs while we sit on the sidelines looking on.

Maybe we are waiting to see what happens with DIC, or maybe we are waiting for the UEFA ruling to be announced?  I hope I am wrong, but personally I think we may well miss the bus this year, as we move on some players and move in even less inspiring ones.

I realise its a long long way to July but surely now is the time to be making our moves, rather than waiting till after the Euro's when all the fees will be outrageously inflated?

Rafa has made his traditional plea for speed in the transfer market, will it be answered this time, or will we still be waiting for the missing piece in our jigsaw come August or even worse regretting our inactivity come next May?

Postby Scottbot » Sat May 24, 2008 12:35 pm

s@int wrote:Warning to Happy clappers - this post may cause temporary blindness, epileptic fits, dizzy spells or irrational rage.

Its still only May and already I have the feeling we are going to be disappointed by the ins and outs at Liverpool this year. Lots of big name, top quality talented players seem to be on the move or available, all with one thing in common...........no word of any interest by Liverpool.

Last close season we had the "get our transfers done early" speech by Rafa, followed by weeks and weeks of rumours as various less than ideal players (who can forget the Forlan or Bent rumours before we finally signed TORRES :cool:  )were touted as joining us.

This close season I have the feeling that our transfers will be less than inspiring and we will probably finish up with Barry, Degan, Dossena and possibly YET another gamble on YET another cheap winger making the step up in class. 

As BigMick would say I know its early but..............I think its going to be a summer of watching as a lot of top players move clubs while we sit on the sidelines looking on.

Maybe we are waiting to see what happens with DIC, or maybe we are waiting for the UEFA ruling to be announced?  I hope I am wrong, but personally I think we may well miss the bus this year, as we move on some players and move in even less inspiring ones.

I realise its a long long way to July but surely now is the time to be making our moves, rather than waiting till after the Euro's when all the fees will be outrageously inflated?

Rafa has made his traditional plea for speed in the transfer market, will it be answered this time, or will we still be waiting for the missing piece in our jigsaw come August or even worse regretting our inactivity come next May?

Unfortunately you are spot on mate. I can't remember the last time i went into an off-season with such low expectations in terms of transfer activity. Chelsea and United will spend big, you can count on it, Arsenal will spend a bit while it looks like we will have to make  do with free-agents and players the manager 'hopes will make it' instead of proven quality :(
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sat May 24, 2008 12:51 pm

Tony Barrett seems to be in a similarly "happy" frame of mind :D

The seven stars who got away from Liverpool
May 24 2008 by Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

A SOBERING thought from Wednesday’s Champions League final (as if anyone needed another one).

No fewer than seven of the players on show could have been Liverpool players had the club matched the ambition of Chelsea and Man United.

Petr Cech was scouted by Gerard Houllier’s regime but that initial interest was never followed up.

Michael Essien also caught the Frenchman’s eye but without the necessary finances Houllier had to look elsewhere for midfield reinforcements.

Rio Ferdinand was coveted before he moved from West Ham to Leeds but the £12.5m asking price was considered too high at a time when Houllier had to bolster several positions in his squad.

Nemanja Vidic was a target of Rafa Benitez having impressed for Serbia against Spain in World Cup qualifying games only for Liverpool to miss out when Man United entered the race for his signature and cranked up the price.

John Terry was briefly made available by a then cash strapped Chelsea in 2003 and Houllier was keen to bring him to Anfield only for a change of ownership at Stamford Bridge to thwart him.

Nicolas Anelka was desperate to become a Liverpool player after a successful loan spell but Houllier ditched his fellow countryman in favour of El Hadji Diouf.

And, most famously of all, Liverpool led the race for Cristiano Ronaldo and could have signed him for just £4m and a four-year contract worth £1m a year only for Houllier and Phil Thompson to decide that those figures were too high for an 18-year-old who was unproven in the Premier League.

So when people claim Liverpool aren’t that many signings away from being genuine title challengers they’re not wrong – the only problem is they’ve already seen seven such players slip through their fingers.

There was also a eighth on display, but the less said about him the better.

Florent Malouda may well be another one who got away but that looks more and more like a lucky escape with every passing game.

Postby Rafa D » Sun May 25, 2008 6:49 am

s@int wrote:And, most famously of all, Liverpool led the race for Cristiano Ronaldo and could have signed him for just £4m and a four-year contract worth £1m a year only for Houllier and Phil Thompson to decide that those figures were too high for an 18-year-old who was unproven in the Premier League.

Is this actually true, Thommo's book he claims its bullsh.it and we were looking at him but United got their first?!?!
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion