Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

2008/2009 or 2009/2010 - Which squad is best equiped

2008/2009
55%
2009/2010
45%

Total votes : 11

Postby roberto green » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:54 pm

I am quite concerned, we were looking to build on our best ever season in the premiership this season by adding some players in positions that would make us even stronger and therefore give us a better chance of winning the league this time around, but we have ended up selling 2 good players 1 of which was our player of the season last season and 1 which was virtually given away given the current climate.So we ended up selling them for a sum of.

Alvaro Arbeloa      £4.5m
Xabi Alonso          £30m
                Total  £34.5m

So ok we got a good price for Xabi but we still had to replace him and although Arbeloa isn't outstanding he was still better than most and was a steel for that price so now we had to replace them plus look to improve our team in other positions.So ok we have signed 2 players and they will now cover these positions

Glen Johnson      18m
Alberto Aquilani   20m
               Total 38m

So we have signed 2 players who cost more combined than the 2 players who we have sold,  who were performing in those roles for us last season and it is a real finger in the air of how the new players could actually get on and all this without improving in areas we went into the summer looking to improve in like left wing and a possible back up striker if fernanado gets injured.

Also how can we forget Sami Hyppia and what a defender he is to replace and this is a position you would like to see covered.

Hopefully I might be wriong and we sign at least 1 quality player but I can't see it.

So as we go into this season I'll ask the question which team looks stronger 2008/2009 or 2009/2010?
roberto green

Postby dawson99 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:15 pm

This team looks stronger. The players from last season know each other better, will gel more, and we will get better results.

I'm liking the look of our team, I think we have the balance right this year. and we have some Italian flair which is needed. We were becoming too spanish if you know what I mean, so it's good to mix it up a bit.

Alonso will be a loss possibly, but I prefer who we have now truth be told.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben Patrick » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:31 pm

At this moment in time we are probably weaker at a guess, as the new italian might take a bit of time to settle.
But Johnson is definately imo a better right back than Arbeloa, although you do lose the spaniards versatility.
With Hyypia still not replaced (yet) actual squad strength at this moment in time is weaker i feel.

But there is still time and i think we will bring in another couple of players as we have virtually not spent anything with outgoings.
So i am optimistic that come the start of the season we will be stronger overall.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Penguins » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:01 pm

I concur with Ben.

Aquilani is gone until September, needs time to settle plus we have no one close to Hyppia who we can rely on to do a job when needed.

Johnson should be better than Arbeloa, but a settled Xabi would be better than Aqualiani at least the 1st half of the season.

But I have other reservations about the team anyway....
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby Owzat » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:29 am

Hard to say at this stage, if Aquilani signs then we don't know how often he will be injured and I don't see Johnson as a big improvement on Arbeloa - although he may prove me wrong in my initial belief.

So with what limited impression we can have, having seen the 08/09 squad perform and not the 09/10 squad, then I'd say last season simply because we're without Alonso which is the key change for me so far and we don't know what kind of impact new signings will have. Let's just hope Alonso's absence isn't pivotal in the wrong way ie we don't keep up.

Also our squad from 08/09 seemed to have a new lease of life, a more attacking approach and consequently won 10 out of the last 11. If THAT 08/09 squad is the measure then I think 09/10 squad will be hard pressed to match it. But if we're talking the 08/09 squad that drew too many games (11?) last season then it could well better that.

All conjecturing though, if we get more points than last season I reckon the mancs will get less so depends very much on how improved Chelsea are and who have they signed of note?
Last edited by Owzat on Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Octsky » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:40 am

i guess it all depends on aquaman coz frankly Alonso was a big name to replace.
the only minor fault of Alonso was that he did not contribute as much in attack which hopefully
we can see more in Aquilani. But this means Gerrard has to drop back a little.

Now my biggest fear is Torres's injury, keep him fit and we can have a shout at the title.
last season i felt that we have the strongest LFC team for the past 15 yrs and Alonso played a paramount part in it so it is a bit hard to beat that with this coming season unless Aquaman have a fantastic first season with us and Nemeth becomes Fowler no.2 but there is still hope.

cant wait man :)
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby Judge » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:26 am

unfortunately i forgot my crystal ball
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fauxy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:25 am

How much money do we actually have left? I know johnson only cost us £10 Million because money was taken off the crouch deal
Fauxy

Postby heimdall » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:46 am

better this season as Johnson gives us another attacking vector and Aquilani will give us more goals from midfield. We may be slightly weaker defensively but I believe we are stronger offensively and that is what we need.
heimdall

Postby GYBS » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:47 am

No idea yet - in some ways it looks a bit weaker on paper loosing sami , xabi and arbs - but johnsen is a better player than arbs - will have to wait and se about aquaman - dont think he is better than xabi but offers us something different - and think kelly will provide good back up but not as good as sami - we were good enough to win the title last season and think we are good enough this season again . think the squads are pretty much the same - one more signing like a creative player will make the squad better than last season
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Nando26 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:09 pm

if we can get the payers fit whitch at the moment isnt looking likely id say we are about te same as last season whitch aint a bad thing

if we could add someone like silva it would put us in a better positin then last season

johnson is better then arebola
aquilani is class but has alot to live up to replacing alonso
hyypia has gone but kelly looks like hes gonna be top class

also if players like babel lucas ngog insua etc can take their game on another level with the experience they are getting then we wll be alot stronger
Nando26

Postby Madmax » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:29 pm

Team looks similar we me really not much changes.. Johnson is not wayyyyyy better than arby and comparing aqua/alonso is pointless.. I like our team of last season only thought we needed someone in the calibre of silva and are sorted. Also a back up striker but anyhow still feel we need another addition or two.
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion