Walter Erviti
David Moreno [17 year old Madrid player]
Andrei Arshavin

3 Perfect Liverpool wingers.
"Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool red"
SundanceKid

Postby Number 9 » Sun May 25, 2008 8:46 am

Rafa-Dodd wrote:
s@int wrote:And, most famously of all, Liverpool led the race for Cristiano Ronaldo and could have signed him for just £4m and a four-year contract worth £1m a year only for Houllier and Phil Thompson to decide that those figures were too high for an 18-year-old who was unproven in the Premier League.

Is this actually true, Thommo's book he claims its bullsh.it and we were looking at him but United got their first?!?!

Rafa Dodd! :D
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun May 25, 2008 3:18 pm

Number 9 wrote:
Rafa-Dodd wrote:
s@int wrote:And, most famously of all, Liverpool led the race for Cristiano Ronaldo and could have signed him for just £4m and a four-year contract worth £1m a year only for Houllier and Phil Thompson to decide that those figures were too high for an 18-year-old who was unproven in the Premier League.

Is this actually true, Thommo's book he claims its bullsh.it and we were looking at him but United got their first?!?!

Rafa Dodd! :D

From what little I can remember from the time Rafa, Thompson went across to give Ronaldo the final look over, and when he came back said, "he is not what we are looking for".

United at that time were negotiating for Ronaldinho, but when Barca came in for him the price went up before finally he made it clear he wanted to go to Spain, the mancs then switched targets and went after Ronaldo. His price went up s well and we lost interest completely.

I think United were originally set to pay £8million for him, but at the last minute they put the price up yet again, and they finished up having to pay about £12million for him.

So, to be fair to Thompson I think the £4million figure would have gone up if we had gone in with a serious offer and I don't think we could have afforded to pay around £8million for a player that needed to develop.

We were definately in for him first though mate, but I don't think we ever made an offer.
account deleted by request

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:54 am

Chester City FC secure Liverpool FC friendly
Jun 5 2008 By David Triggs

CHESTER City have fixed up a money-spinning friendly against Premiership giants Liverpool.

Rafael Benitez's Reds will visit the Deva Stadium on Saturday, July 12 (3pm) for a game that is sure to pull plenty of fans through the turnstiles.

Blues boss Simon Davies said: "Liverpool don't have any other fixtures on that day so we’re hoping for a fair turnout from their first team.

"It's going to be a great day for the fans - and a great challenge for the players as well.

"We've spoken to a lot of big clubs about friendlies and credit to Liverpool for taking us up on the offer."

Ticket details for the match - which could see the likes of Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher playing at the Deva - will be announced in due course.

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:21 am

16 June: Premier League fixtures released
7 July: All players return to training (non-internationals return earlier)
12 July: Friendly - Chester (a) TBC
Early July: Swiss Training Camp
Early July: FC Basle TBC
19 July: Crewe (a) TBC
26 July: Rangers (a) Confirmed
30 July: Villareal (a) Confirmed
5 Aug: Valerenga (a) TBC
12/13 Aug: CL Qualifer First Leg CL QR3
16 Aug: New Premier League Season begins
26/27 Aug: CL Qualifier Second Leg CL QR3

Postby Sabre » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:41 am

Scottbot wrote:
s@int wrote:Warning to Happy clappers - this post may cause temporary blindness, epileptic fits, dizzy spells or irrational rage.

Its still only May and already I have the feeling we are going to be disappointed by the ins and outs at Liverpool this year. Lots of big name, top quality talented players seem to be on the move or available, all with one thing in common...........no word of any interest by Liverpool.

Last close season we had the "get our transfers done early" speech by Rafa, followed by weeks and weeks of rumours as various less than ideal players (who can forget the Forlan or Bent rumours before we finally signed TORRES :cool:  )were touted as joining us.

This close season I have the feeling that our transfers will be less than inspiring and we will probably finish up with Barry, Degan, Dossena and possibly YET another gamble on YET another cheap winger making the step up in class. 

As BigMick would say I know its early but..............I think its going to be a summer of watching as a lot of top players move clubs while we sit on the sidelines looking on.

Maybe we are waiting to see what happens with DIC, or maybe we are waiting for the UEFA ruling to be announced?  I hope I am wrong, but personally I think we may well miss the bus this year, as we move on some players and move in even less inspiring ones.

I realise its a long long way to July but surely now is the time to be making our moves, rather than waiting till after the Euro's when all the fees will be outrageously inflated?

Rafa has made his traditional plea for speed in the transfer market, will it be answered this time, or will we still be waiting for the missing piece in our jigsaw come August or even worse regretting our inactivity come next May?

Unfortunately you are spot on mate. I can't remember the last time i went into an off-season with such low expectations in terms of transfer activity. Chelsea and United will spend big, you can count on it, Arsenal will spend a bit while it looks like we will have to make  do with free-agents and players the manager 'hopes will make it' instead of proven quality :(

I don't know why Saint's post should cause temporary blindness, as it is quite a realistic view considering our past, considering signs we're reading from Balague's articles which talk about players being sold before bought, and considering the transfer rumours.

The signs do indicate we're heading to yet another similar summer.

But it doesnt cause temporary blindness because S@int isn't saying any of that is Rafa's fault, but the lack of fresh money.
Those who would want Rafa out, must realise that under this owners it doesn't seem any incoming manager will have real funds to compete financially with the other clubs, it's money what makes things happen.

I do have a glimmer of hope though that behind the words of Rafa saying they're working hard to improve the team there's a big single name among the Barrys and Dossenas. I hope that if he sells Alonso Rafa will make some decent move with that money.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:31 am

Warning to Happy clappers - this post may cause temporary blindness, epileptic fits, dizzy spells or irrational rage.

:laugh:   PMSL
66-1112520797

Postby stmichael » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:15 pm

i see we're playing athletico madrid in a pre seaon friendly now on auust 8th.

can't wait for that. little luis return to anfield. :buttrock
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Raj_Xedos » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:38 am

this may seem a silly question, but how much are the tickets normally for these pre-season games.???

I cant get eff all for the in season games so may try these!

Any help is greatly appreciated!"
Raj_Xedos

Postby Simply Red » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:27 pm

I hope that our players come back fit from the Euros for pre season.

Speaking of which, I also really hope that the Liverpool scouts have marked some talented players for the new season.

I have marked 2 players from the Euro 2008 which offer real value.

Rafa may have a point in buying the no name brands to fill the gaps.

After reading many of the comments on here, the same names are called on time after time with even more speculation. After watching Croatia a couple of times, I believe that they could just be the dark horse in the euro 2008.

Therefore, they must have some talent which is assisting them in finishing top of the group. I did some research on their players and have come up with 2 players from a relatively unknown NO NAME BRAND squad which may offer value.

1)Ivan Rakitic (One for the future)
Ivan Rakitic born on March 10th, 1988 in Mohlin, Switzerland is an amazing football player who currently plays for Croatia and club FC Schalke 04. Earlier he played for Switzerland U-17, U-19 and U-21 national teams. Ivan Rakitic the outstanding midfielder was named the best young player of the 2006-2007 Super League season while playing for the club FC Basel.
Ivan Rakitic began his professional football career for FC Basel in September 2005. During his three year stint with FC Basel, Ivan Rakitic played in 33 Super League games including 9 UEFA Cup in games and scored 11 goals. In 2007, Ivan Rakitic moved to German football club FC Schalke 04 and scored his first goal for the club in the first round of the German Cup.

2)Darijo Srna (Potential Target - winger)
Darijo Srna (born on May 1, 1982 in Metković[1]) is a Croatian footballer who plays for Shakhtar Donetsk and the Croatia national football team, in which he is currently the leading goalscorer out of the current active squad, and 3rd on the all time list. Croatia has never lost a match in which Srna has scored.

Darijo Srna
Played a prominent role in his country's 2006 FIFA World Cup campaign, scoring five goals in qualifying and another in Germany. The effervescent right-winger was in equally good form during the UEFA EURO 2008™ qualifiers and his accurate crosses and free-kicks are an important part of Croatia's attacking armoury.

Croatia 2 Germany 1

These 2 players were up against the likes of England and Germany, whom are no pushovers, yet they have topped their group.
Also, they have played international football and have been up against some of Englands and now Germany's top players (Ballack, Klose, Podolski).

Who can argue with that.

Here are some comparison stats between
Ivan Rakitic (Croatia) (Top Speed 29)Covered - 10909m

Darijo (Croatia)(Top Speed 25.81)Covered - 9595m

Ronaldo (Portugal)(Top Speed 27.41)Covered - 6513m
(taken from their last games.)

http://flickr.com/photos/27151907@N06/page2/
http://flickr.com/photos/27151907@N06/tags/croatia/

:)
Simply Red

Postby Sabre » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:36 pm

This new stat about top speed is interesting. I think a mate argued somewhere Kuyt reached the top speed of all the Dutch squad with 29.5!!

Of course how fast you reach that speed is also important, but it's interesting to know to argue against those who say he's slow.

Good post Simply Red.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Simply Red » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:02 pm

Thanks Sabre!

Are you watching the Croatia game? Keep an eye on these two players. It seems as if Croatia may be the only team to finish with max points in their group. Says something about the team.
Simply Red

Postby SundanceKid » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:48 pm

Sabre wrote:This new stat about top speed is interesting. I think a mate argued somewhere Kuyt reached the top speed of all the Dutch squad with 29.5!!

Of course how fast you reach that speed is also important, but it's interesting to know to argue against those who say he's slow.

Good post Simply Red.

I don't believe that he's faster than Ryan Babel.
"Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool red"
SundanceKid

Postby Dundalk » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:15 pm

2 more games pre season announced today. Not really tasty are they!!

Liverpool have announced two friendly matches they will play as part of their training camp in Switzerland ahead of the build-up to the 2008/2009 season.

Rafael Benitez's side will kick-off their annual pre-season visit to the country with a match against FC Lucerne on July 16 before taking on Polish side Wisla Krakow three days later.

Liverpool's pre-season fixture schedule for Switzerland:

Wednesday July 16. v. FC Lucerne at Grenchen (Switzerland, Bruehl-Stadium) kick-off 7.35pm

Saturday July 19. v. Wisla Krakow at Fribourg (Switzerland, St-Leonard-Stadium) kick-off 6pm
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:19 pm

Well least we get to see the reserves get a run out than , a chance for the youngsters to step up , insua , nemeth and plessis  in particular and sit up and let the manager take notice
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion