NESV - OUR NEW OWNERS - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:39 pm

Do you think Rodgers worries that he doesn't buy Haaland or Mbappe?  They're only so expensive because idiots keep ramping prices up.

Cap a total squad salary. Police FFP with automatic relegation and put people in charge of the FA with the the will and courage to run the show properly.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:53 pm

This sounds like a game of chicken between the 12 clubs and UEFA over competition format and broadcasting money that has gone badly wrong for the 12. They were still negotiating over the Champions League on Saturday and then on Sunday night all of a sudden they announce a half baked idea with no launch event and no start date, just a bare bones website that looks like it was knocked up by the work experience kid. I'm sure they were expecting some criticism and UEFA to back down but they badly misjudged both and have opened up a hornets nest. I mean it wouldn't have been difficult to come up with a more realistic plan that would allow them to make much more money but not be so contentious.

- Call it a cup rather than a league.
- Entry to the cup on same basis with clubs qualifying via their domestic league.
- Rather than sell group rights to a broadcaster and distribute fairly evenly, individual games to be sold on a PPV basis for £2.99 via YouTube. After YouTube take their cut, revenue for each game would be allocated on 50/50 basis to the 2 clubs playing. Merit based! 
- Change to 4 groups of 8 to ensure more games overall and more guaranteed high profile games. Top 2 from each group go to the quarter final and the next 2 drop into equivalent Europa League knockout stage. Example:

Group A                       Group B                   Group C                    Group D
Bayern                       Real Madrid                    Liverpool            Juventus
Inter                             Dortmund                    Barcelona            Manchester City
Chelsea                       Lazio                            RB Leipzig            Atlético Madrid
PSG                             Manchester United    Atalanta                    Mönchengladbach
Sevilla                       Zenit                            Porto                    Shakhtar Donetsk
Ajax                             Dynamo Kyiv            Salzburg            Olympiacos
Krasnodar                   Lokomotiv Moskva    Marseille            Club Brugge
İstanbul Başakşehir      Midtjylland                    Ferencváros             Rennes

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:51 pm

I seriously dont know how we can cope with that amount of games per season and be competitive at the same time.

Think you might have read some of that wrong CHL. The 8 teams will go to a knockout stage. Teams who finish 9th to 24th will get to play a 2 legged play off to make up the 16.

There is also 2 places in the competition that will be awarded to teams who dont qualify through their domestic league. It will be based on merit from previous seasons.

I would like to think if we were ever offered one of those places we would decline.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:44 pm

red till i die!! » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:51 pm wrote:I seriously dont know how we can cope with that amount of games per season and be competitive at the same time.

Think you might have read some of that wrong CHL. The 8 teams will go to a knockout stage. Teams who finish 9th to 24th will get to play a 2 legged play off to make up the 16.

There is also 2 places in the competition that will be awarded to teams who dont qualify through their domestic league. It will be based on merit from previous seasons.

I would like to think if we were ever offered one of those places we would decline.

No. I was just giving an example of an alternative they could have suggested.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:14 am

Sorry Mate. I apologise it was me who read it wrong. I thought you knew what the format was at the time you posted.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:47 am

Kroenke is telling Arsenal fans that he wasnt one of the ringleaders and he was pretty much in the same boat as City and Chelsea i.e dragged along by the tide of events. Starting to look like our mob and the Glaser’s were the masterminds behind this little scheme, certainly the no promotion and relegation aspect of it has got John Henry’s fingerprints all over it, that has been a bugbear of his since he got here 12 years ago. Like most big capitalists they want a safety net to protect themselves and their profits but want laissez faire capitalism shoved down everyone else’s throats.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:34 pm

There was a lot of protesting at their game last night. Pretty sure we can expect similar today.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:35 pm

It is very clear that it’s all coming from Perez , Juve and Co and of course owners of other clubs will start “well it wasn’t us - we just went along with it “ blah blah - it’s just trying to save face with the fans - anyone should be able to see right through it
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:59 am

Perez has certainly been a very loud voice in this debacle. Was he the instigator of this particular ESL model? I’m not sure. The proposed and accepted model by the 12 clubs has America stamped all over it. Perez may have started this but the Americans certainly wanted to finish it. I just hope that the necessary legal rules are put in place to ensure that this never happens again.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:57 am

devaney » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:59 am wrote:Perez has certainly been a very loud voice in this debacle. Was he the instigator of this particular ESL model? I’m not sure. The proposed and accepted model by the 12 clubs has America stamped all over it. Perez may have started this but the Americans certainly wanted to finish it. I just hope that the necessary legal rules are put in place to ensure that this never happens again.

Exactly, the closed shop aspect and even the phrase ‘legacy fans’ is as American as apple pie and baseball, This is not all just conjecture Sky who clearly have lots of sources within the game are openly saying the yank owners were the ones behind this as well. Perez was clearly there as a figurehead, just look at the vice chairmen below him though - Glaser, Kroenke and John W himself.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:01 am

devaney » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:59 am wrote:Perez has certainly been a very loud voice in this debacle. Was he the instigator of this particular ESL model? I’m not sure. The proposed and accepted model by the 12 clubs has America stamped all over it. Perez may have started this but the Americans certainly wanted to finish it. I just hope that the necessary legal rules are put in place to ensure that this never happens again.

They are all in - the three clubs still hanging around want it because they are in huge debt - no surprise when all three have spent millions on two players over the last decade

The Yanks wanted the bigger share of the money because of some sort of belief that the bigger the draw the bigger the share - City and Chelsea were involved because they want to be part of the big comps to get their club in the headlines etc

All differing reasons but all out of touch

But Klopp was spot on yesterday - it’s happened , deal with it and move on - Sky etc right now are continuing to open up the wound - it won’t be long before they are demanding the clubs closed

Unless something dramatic changes within the Prem , the CL then it’s always going to be a beacon for the rich.
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:53 am

I'm not sure I buy all of this anti-american rhetoric.

European super league talk has been going on for 20 odd years. And back then Moore was all in favour of it. I think we'd have thrown our hat in the Super League ring regardless of who was in charge.

I'm also not in favour of running FSG out of town. They have done a lot of good for LFC and replacing them with morally dubious middle eastern owners would be a terrible thing, in my view.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:38 pm

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-fsg-bid-rejected-henry-23974917

Says the owners rejected 3 billion from the Middle East for the club. They bought the club for 300 million, that’s ten times their investment. They should give Klopp a very huge salary.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:24 pm

7_Kewell » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:53 am wrote:I'm not sure I buy all of this anti-american rhetoric.

European super league talk has been going on for 20 odd years. And back then Moore was all in favour of it. I think we'd have thrown our hat in the Super League ring regardless of who was in charge.

I'm also not in favour of running FSG out of town. They have done a lot of good for LFC and replacing them with morally dubious middle eastern owners would be a terrible thing, in my view.

The 6 clubs didn’t table a proposal on Sunday night for a European Super League where the pro’s, con’s and wider implications could be thoroughly debated and analysed, they announced a fait accompli, a done deal. It was in effect a hostile takeover of English football and it wasn’t even a takeover that had the best interests of the game at heart and we know this because the arrogant so and so’s had the temerity/bare face cheek to tell us so.
Even if you believe in the concept of a European Super League and I don’t, this certainly wasn’t the way to go about it. This proposal would have destroyed English football and European football with it, as Ozil said the reason why games against Barca and Real are special is because they are rare, no matter how special a thing is if it becomes the norm it loses its appeal, the same handful of clubs locked in a footballing Groundhog Day would have quickly had fans turning off.
The breakaway clubs didn’t sit there and think okay let’s start a new league but how can we do this and protect other area’s of the game, they went full scorched earth and these aren’t stupid people they knew exactly what they were doing, they probably calculated that domestic league’s and in particular the prem would be a rival to their new league and not just in terms of attracting fans but also advertising revenue and sponsorship money etc so they deliberate set out to fv.ck the prem up because let’s face it that’s what businesses do, they try to drive their rivals out of the marketplace,
6 people set out to ruin the English game and their lust for money would have ruined the world game within a decade as well because their super league would have quickly become boring. Apparently they were farsighted enough to understand this themselves and it’s rumoured that they were floating idea’s like reducing the length of games etc to try an keep people interested. They would have turned it into a farce, probably have cheerleaders and circus acts riding around the perimeter of the pitch standing on the back of horses and all sorts of tacky sh.1t.
They basically tried to ruin football to line their own pockets.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby devaney » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:08 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:24 pm wrote:
7_Kewell » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:53 am wrote:I'm not sure I buy all of this anti-american rhetoric.

The 6 clubs didn’t table a proposal on Sunday night for a European Super League where the pro’s, con’s and wider implications could be thoroughly debated and analysed, they announced a fait accompli, a done deal. It was in effect a hostile takeover of English football and it wasn’t even a takeover that had the best interests of the game at heart and we know this because the arrogant so and so’s had the temerity/bare face cheek to tell us so.
Even if you believe in the concept of a European Super League and I don’t, this certainly wasn’t the way to go about it. This proposal would have destroyed English football and European football with it, as Ozil said the reason why games against Barca and Real are special is because they are rare, no matter how special a thing is if it becomes the norm it loses its appeal, the same handful of clubs locked in a footballing Groundhog Day would have quickly had fans turning off.
The breakaway clubs didn’t sit there and think okay let’s start a new league but how can we do this and protect other area’s of the game, they went full scorched earth and these aren’t stupid people they knew exactly what they were doing, they probably calculated that domestic league’s and in particular the prem would be a rival to their new league and not just in terms of attracting fans but also advertising revenue and sponsorship money etc so they deliberate set out to fv.ck the prem up because let’s face it that’s what businesses do, they try to drive their rivals out of the marketplace,
6 people set out to ruin the English game and their lust for money would have ruined the world game within a decade as well because their super league would have quickly become boring. Apparently they were farsighted enough to understand this themselves and it’s rumoured that they were floating idea’s like reducing the length of games etc to try an keep people interested. They would have turned it into a farce, probably have cheerleaders and circus acts riding around the perimeter of the pitch standing on the back of horses and all sorts of tacky sh.1t.
They basically tried to ruin football to line their own pockets.

Very well said Yakka. Everything possible should be done to ensure that laissez-faire capitalism has no place in English football. It is the game of the people. Enough damage has already been done by by a handful of rich owners to create a huge divide. Yes Kewell a Eurupean league has been talked about for many years. This however wasn’t just talks and it had Stars and Stripes plastered all over it. FSG as you rightly say have done a lot of very good work to which I have also previously eluded to. However it shouldn’t be forgotten that FSG have made nearly as many u-turns as the current government. £77 ticket price and more recently furlough are just a couple of their blunders. I have always defended FSG. Only a complete idiot would dismiss the success they have brought to the club.

In general Klopp has done a great job but without FSG’s support the story would be very different. Selling Coutinho for a ridiculous amount of money - £140m - was excellent business. If FSG were simply the greedy take all’s that some people suggest then VVD, Fabinho and Alison would be playing elsewhere. Fans will always want more including me and yes I think they should have been a lot more active in the transfer market after we won the CL in 2019. IMHO I think FSG missed an opportunity to make a great team even stronger. Having said that there is absolutely no way that I would like to see them sell the club.If the recent refused offer of £3b was genuine that should tell even the most verbose of the haters something !!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext